Isn't the movie patch totally pointless?

So anyway, the movies which are included with the huge media patch are encoded at 1600x680, right?

Well, no matter what I do, the game will always PLAY them at just 640x480, which was fine for the original versions of the videos, which ran at 640x272. I've tried editing the ini file's resolutions, in both DISPLAY and GRAPHICS subcatagories, to set it to my LCD's native 1280x1024, but that didn't work. In game graphics display at that setting fine, but when an FMV kicks in, it drops to 640x480.

Also, I hate the 2 second wait time when my monitor has to constantly change resolutions when it shouldn't have to.

What do you have to do to keep the resolution from changing between FMV sequences?

It's pointless considering how huge the download it is.

Huge? ROFL

Sorry, but that was really stupid answer to the starting post :o

I'm solving similar problem atm - both KotOR and KotOR 2 are screwed when the in-game fmv ends in my PC - I have to disable movies to be able to play these games.

Oh and I hate that insane feature to turn monitor resolution down to prehistoric 640x480 for movie playback...

The movies are beautiful and they do play back properly. There is a second or two delay while they load, because they are huge. You can try changing the resolution the game is running in, and see if that helps; but I think not every video card can perform the necessary acrobatics to display them.

There used to be a long thread techie sort of thread about the movie patch debating/troubleshooting the reasons why some saw vast improvement and some did not - but it no longer exists.

The only thing I remember is that your monitor and possibly the video card should hardware-support 1600.1200 resolution - although that may not be the actual reason you're not seeing a difference. There are always other possibles. :-

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Huge? ROFL

Sorry, but that was really stupid answer to the starting post :blink:

I'm solving similar problem atm - both KotOR and KotOR 2 are screwed when the in-game fmv ends in my PC - I have to disable movies to be able to play these games.

Oh and I hate that insane feature to turn monitor resolution down to prehistoric 640x480 for movie playback...

She's on a 56k dial up. That is a freaking huge download for people on dial up.

Huge? ROFL

Sorry, but that was really stupid answer to the starting post :)

She's on a 56k dial up. That is a freaking huge download for people on dial up.

When you run across stupid replies like that (sevencreature's), just add them to your ignore list or report them for trolling. Personal insults are not called for when people try to be helpful. Agree or disagree and leave it at that. I wouldn't be surprised if he is related to the original poster :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Trolling other board members = bad

Get the idea?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester