McAfee slams Microsoft for keeping keys to Vista

LadyCrimson

http://software.silicon.com/security/0,390...39162902,00.htm

I'm just curious what people think of McAfee's position/accusation.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Symantec also...

http://netsecurity.about.com/b/a/256800.htm?nl=1

Internet / Network Security

From Tony Bradley, CISSP-ISSAP,

Symantec and McAfee Take Issue With Planned Vista Security

Microsoft is wrapping up the final stages of tweaking Vista to get it ready for its official release. Vista includes a number of security updates and changes in the way the operating system works that are aimed at making it more secure. Some security vendors, particularly Symantec and McAfee, have taken issue with some of the changes though. According to an Information Week article, the vendors claim that Microsoft's lockdown of access to the OS kernel will block their ability to protect the system. If the security features were flawless, and worked 100% of the time, that might not be a problem. But, if malware writers find a weak spot, Vista-users won't have a security solution. It is somewhat of a catch-22 for Microsoft. Users expect the operating system to be stable and secure by default and complain loudly about having to augment the OS with various 3rd-party products in order to get that security. But, when they try to lock down and secure the system themselves, users reflect on Microsoft's track record and they are cautious about trusting them or putting all of their security 'eggs' in Microsoft's 'basket'.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Symantec also...

Microsoft is wrapping up the final stages of tweaking Vista to get it ready for its official release. Vista includes a number of security updates and changes in the way the operating system works that are aimed at making it more secure. Some security vendors, particularly Symantec and McAfee, have taken issue with some of the changes though. According to an Information Week article, the vendors claim that Microsoft's lockdown of access to the OS kernel will block their ability to protect the system. If the security features were flawless, and worked 100% of the time, that might not be a problem. But, if malware writers find a weak spot, Vista-users won't have a security solution. It is somewhat of a catch-22 for Microsoft. Users expect the operating system to be stable and secure by default and complain loudly about having to augment the OS with various 3rd-party products in order to get that security. But, when they try to lock down and secure the system themselves, users reflect on Microsoft's track record and they are cautious about trusting them or putting all of their security 'eggs' in Microsoft's 'basket'.

Hahaha, that is quite the catch-22.

Just curious: (One of you people would have some insight into this) I'll most likely be moving abroad next year, where I'll need to get myself a new portable computer.

I won't be going for the highest-end technology, but then I'm curious what the chances are for a decent new notebook to come with Vista pre-installed....

pronounced: Throatwobbler Mangrove

Symantec also...

Hahaha, that is quite the catch-22.

I don't think it's quite as cut-and-dried as that.

Firstly, the core WILL BE hacked. Apple's OSX for Intel was hacked THE FIRST DAY of the developer's release.

Secondly, it is not unreasonable for Microsoft to hold third-party security companies like McAfee and Symantec to a formal trade secrets contract with punitive clauses; in other words, only divulge the really sensitive stuff to named people in the companies, who would be personally responsible should anything be leaked.

In the end, security by obscurity doesn't work (for software).

Just curious: (One of you people would have some insight into this) I'll most likely be moving abroad next year, where I'll need to get myself a new portable computer.

I won't be going for the highest-end technology, but then I'm curious what the chances are for a decent new notebook to come with Vista pre-installed....

Depends on the when.

Vista will probably ship first quarter 2007, meaning it will be available (in about seven different versions from "Home" to "Total"), and this will include laptops.

Whether you should use it as soon as it comes out, though, especially for a lower-end laptop, remains to be seen ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Microsoft Agrees to Changes in Vista Security

An anonymous reader writes "Bowing to pressure from European antitrust regulators and rival security vendors, Microsoft has agreed to modify Windows Vista to better accommodate third-party security software makers. In a press conference Friday, Microsoft said it would configure Vista to let third-party anti-virus and other security software makers bypass 'PatchGuard,' a feature in 64-bit versions of Windows Vista designed to bar access to the Windows kernel. Microsoft said it would create an API to let third-party vendors access the kernel and to disable the Windows Security Center so that users would not be prompted by multiple alerts about operating system security. In addition, Redmond said it would modify the welcome screen presented to Vista users to include links to other security software other than Microsoft's own OneCare suite. From the article: 'It looks like Microsoft was really testing the waters here, sort of pushing the limits of antitrust and decided they probably couldn't cross that line just yet.'"

clickie

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT