North Korea

LostStraw

And without foreign help, South Korea doesn't even need anybody else to defeat the North Korean army. Actually, that's one ofthe reasons I want American troops out of there - Americans (regular ones) don't want to be there, Koreans don't ant them there, Nobody needs them there, and in the case of a war American reticence to let anybody else command their units around in any way will simply create communication and national pride friction. Conventional warfare is not at all a real danger for anybody. It's 1/ blackmailing from NK and the continuation of this situation; 2/ from that it could lead to an eventual breakdown of the NK and thus, nukes; 3/ guerilla warfare and missile hits, etc, from NK to esp. SK and Japan.  That's what is dangerous.

I pretty much agree though I believe the South Korean opinion is divided on the matter. Most younger people of my generation want US troops gone while many people of my father's and grandfather's generation who have experienced the war and the following years of poverty and hardship think that the presence of US troops provide a strong deterrence for any more invasions from the North. Though the opinion seems to be shifting towards removing US troops recently.

Sounds like a prominent chip to be bargained with in the poker game of interntional relations between the US, China, Japan and South and North Corea.

I doubt there is any real strategic benefit for the US to have troops on the peninsula, considering that:

• there are plenty of friendly nations to host troops in the area and
  • the US would never launch a ground invasion on China.

Also, don't underestimate China's forthcoming dominance in the world through the existing capitalist rules. Not only would it be completely self-defeating for them to use force, it would also be contrary to military strategy (remember that Chinese fellow Sun Tzu?).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You're exactly right. It's a bargaining chip that only favours the U.S. and that's the primary reason they won't get out of there.

I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks US troops' physical presence acts as a real deterrent is mistaken about this particular situation. It is an extremely small deterrent. In the case of the Korean peninsula, any sort of invasion by NK would be a suitable casus belli for America and the world - so they don't need "Americans are dying" excuse. South Korea has economically become too important to 'let die', in any case - not 'essential to the world's survival' (but then, US isn't, either), but highly benefitial to the capitalist market. And what with China and Japan all round, and SK's own army, well... no. Not much of a deterrent. Perhaps in the 50's and 60's. Not anymore.

Which is why it's sad when you know that a tiny, minuit portion of that American army acts in a way that is less than proper, especially regarding harrassment.

You're exactly right. It's a bargaining chip that only favours the U.S. and that's the primary reason they won't get out of there.

Not sure what you mean by this.

I was suggesting that the troops could be removed (at no "cost" to the US) as part of some bigger bargain ... say North Corea disarming (for example).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well that's another perspective. It could be used like that... and it could also be used as a form of leverage in US dealings with SK.

While our resources are stuck in a quagmire that is Iraq, which is spiraling down into civil war, the Bush Administration lets NK slip through their fingers and refuses to take any direct action against a country that is obviously a threat and has confirmed weapons of mass destruction.

WAY TO GO BUSHIE!

The first two are funny. Anyway satelite images are picking up increased activity in 2 NK spots.

Plus I gotta agree that China's wary of a NK collapse because it could mean refugees heading for their border. That's probably what the walls they're constructing's for. Would still be poor form if they leave the refugees in poor conditions next to the walls.

Spreading beauty with my katana.