Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vista gaming will be 10 to 15% slower than XP

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Yeah, loads of corporates negotiated "extended support" for Windows NT.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Vista Hardware Restrictions

The first is that once you have installed Vista on a machine you can only move it once. If you have an upgrade of your motherboard or anything else that will cause the operating system to think that it is a new computer you have to buy a new copy of Vista.

Ha! Ha! That's the most retarded thing I've heard in years. Either the inquirer didn't accurately reproduce what their sources told them, or Microsoft has completely lost it.

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2172 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I was under the impression that it already worked this way with XP. At least the cheaper licenses.

Edited by Spider, 13 October 2006 - 12:15 AM.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4632 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The first is that once you have installed Vista on a machine you can only move it once. If you have an upgrade of your motherboard or anything else that will cause the operating system to think that it is a new computer you have to buy a new copy of Vista.

Ha! Ha! That's the most retarded thing I've heard in years. Either the inquirer didn't accurately reproduce what their sources told them, or Microsoft has completely lost it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:ermm: What the hell?

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
XP had that "cant move OS to other comps" thing but to a much lesser degree. I remember examining it on my new PC aaages ago, before reformatting with 98SE. It wasn't too strict, really, and it was eventually bypassed.

It has also been slashdotted, though I don't know how reliable that makes it.

Anyway, I used 98SE till 2005, when I wanted to use a couple of Adobe programs (Audition? or their movie one? cant remember) that needed XP for something. I don't expect to move to Vista for at least 3 years.

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2172 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
From what I understand, the XP implementation of this got a lot stricter when the windows validation tool came around (or a while after). Remember that this is for the cheapest licenses that are supposed to be tied to one computer (hence why they are so cheap).

I could be wrong though, it's possible I read about how it was going to be in Vista and my memory is playing tricks on me. It's been a while since I read about it (2 months at least).

Fenghuang

Fenghuang

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1087 posts
Well after I upgraded it did that with XP but all I had to do to get it fixed was call the Support/Registration number that popped up in the dialogue box telling my my key wasn't valid and it was assigned to another computer. I told them I upgraded, told them what parts I upgraded, I assume they looked at their screen, hit some buttons, and my OS was good again.

Not that big a deal if Vista works the same way.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yes, XP does ask you to re-activate, but the process is pretty painless and straightforward. This happened to me when I upgraded the BIOS on my motherboard. From what the Inq article said, it may not be as straightforward with Vista.

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5240 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That will never work.

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4040 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aqua Regis
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
Sounds like MSoft to me. Microsoft Works could only be installed 4 times, at which point the disc became useless.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
How exactly did Microsoft alter read only media to be uninstallable? Or did you have to validate it online?

Also, what version of Microsoft Works was it? I didn't know they still made Microsoft Works, but rather referred to it as Microsoft Office.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts

How exactly did Microsoft alter read only media to be uninstallable?  Or did you have to validate it online?

Also, what version of Microsoft Works was it?  I didn't know they still made Microsoft Works, but rather referred to it as Microsoft Office.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't some of that old software come on floppy disks? It could have refused to install if the disk had had it's read/write tap covered (i.e. read-only). Just guessing though, never had a MS Works.

roshan

roshan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts
Microsoft Works is like a crap version of office. Dell laptops have it preinstalled so the stuff is still around.

Edited by roshan, 14 October 2006 - 04:09 AM.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
I have MS Works, it is a proprietary Office-type suite of packages (though it also contains Word); can't say I've ever tried to install it more than once and only kept it on my old (Dell) laptop because it came pre-installed and I installed Office on top (and I feared that uninstalling Works would clobber Word).

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I know what Microsoft Works is. How is it different than Office though, which is a suite of packages that includes Word as well.

It's been a while since I used Works (High School). I vaguely remember some drawing programs...or maybe that was ClarisWorks for the Mac.

Surreptishus

Surreptishus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1347 posts
Works: Word, a stripped down spreadsheet app and a stripped down database app. The latter two's file formats aren't fully compatible with Excel and Access and vice versa IIRC. Works might also include some other stuff like a roadmap or Atlas. It usually depends where you buy your PC.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Yeah, the main beef I had with Works is that it was different and gimped and incompatible with Office. Don't confuse it with any of the many other "Works" suites, like AppleWorks, etc.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
A few tidbits about Windows Vista and DRM:

A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection:
http://www.cs.auckla...vista_cost.html

Microsoft explains DRM in Vista:
http://windowsvistab...nd-answers.aspx

Scary.

Wistrik

Wistrik

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 560 posts
I have always waited two or more years before I decided to 'upgrade' Windows. This allowed me to 'miss out' on Windows prior to 3.1, and Windows ME, and usually gets me into a newer version of the OS sometime after SP2 (or its equivalent) has been released. I ran 98SE until autumn of 2004 when I got a new computer, but by then I had time to compare flavors of XP so I knew what I was getting in to.

Most of the hubbub seems to be centered on commercial media, which doesn't concern me one bit. I play movies and CDs on my standalone DVD player, and use the computer for games, programming, documentation, and so on. I have a 'lousy' 32" TV with s-video hookup to the DVD player, and it produces very nice images. I don't care as much about high resolution in movies as I do in computer games, where I'm typically sitting much closer to the screen.

It will be interesting to read the reviews, blogs, etc., that are produced in the months and years to come. Perhaps I'll skip Vista too, or maybe Linux will grow up enough that I'll decide to make the switch. Mac? No, not now that they've switched to using Intel chips.

I had to chuckle at Nick White's "About" line at the bottom of the Microsoft article. Not only is he young and inexperienced, but typically arrogant as well. He describes his job and assumes the reader must be jealous. No thanks, I'll take my job over his any day.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9098 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I use SP1, and have no problems whatsoever because of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SP2 is pretty awesome, actually. The first time I tried to install it, I had to reformat my hard drive, but after they worked the bugs out it installed easily. It makes network setup a complete breeze, and I've had better connectivity to my wireless router for some reason. I'd highly recommend you upgrade to SP2 ASAP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users