Vista gaming will be 10 to 15% slower than XP

Fionavar

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=44231

That would be about the time Vista is apropriately stable anyway :-"

Edit: Speaking of speed and Vista. Also from The Inquirer:

vis1.jpg

Notice the last line ;)

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

We had Vista presentation from Microsoft at our uni recently (which I didn't attend), and two notable facts that left the impact on the attendees are

1. it has a lot of neat features
  2. it was so painfully slow on a laptop with 2Gb RAM, it'd be enough to make one weep

10-15% must be a much lower performance hit than it sounds, since I've not noticed a visible framerate drop in any of the games I've reinstalled since throwing Vista on to my rig. I suppose if a game was already chugging along with framerate issues in XP, the extra hit would be painful, but as it is, I'm pretty happy with Vista's performance.

I definitely won't be upgrading to Vista until something I want to use forces me to. I let other people be the version-guinea pigs. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have already shared that I will not upgrade until SP1 at least with any MS OS. I also recommend this course of action to any of my clients as well. This article only reinforces my hesitation and confirms that in many ways XP is really a solid OS.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

As much as I sometimes complain about little bits here and there in XP, I'd agree...it's certainly been the most stable version of Windows OS - which means I can go a lot longer without re-formatting.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sounds like experience to me.

You'll find wisdom and experience are correlated :thumbsup:

Alanschu regained a memory of past Windows installations: +100 Exp points.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Why does it feel that whenever Microsoft (FINALLY) gets an OS to be working and virtually bug-free, they decide to release the next bloated version?

I also can't understand people who are like, "Wow, Vista is released in only 11 days 12 hours and 43 minutes! I can't wait!!1". Don't they know it's an OS? It's supposed to hide in the background and wait until you, the end-user, wants to run an application, which is when it kicks in and starts said application in the fastest possible time, using as few system resources as is possible.

Vista is quite the opposite. It will take hours to install, it will demand 15 GB of harddrive space (at least) and it will make your computer cry before you've even decided to start any applications.

Windows Vista: the very definition of the term bloatware.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

With any luck some enterprising soul will port DirectX to linux, and I won't need to install Windoze ever again ... :D

Oh now you're talkin' crazy =]

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

The problem is that if you like new software (that includes games), eventually it's a requirement to get WinBlows (in America, I can't speak for other areas). Or at least, it feels like it. I know there are other options, but...

...hopefully either Vista will be not as scary as it currently sounds, or it'll tank so badly MS will scramble to 'fix' it.