Melee Consular?

I'm sure this has been done before, but anyone have any ideas for it? I'm into the different chars (blaster jedi, pure melee jedi etc) and I was thinking most people think of the Consular as a caster....but what about their melee?

Edit: I just relized...no jedi base class gets sneak attack like the first...that sucks

Edited by Elvish Legion

The game (on normal difficulty at least) is easy enough that if you want to be a melee consular, go for it. Sure you won't be as strong a hitter and you may need to heal a bit more often, haha, but it'll work...well, with sabers anyway. I don't know about sticking with swords, as I've seen some people post about. :lol:

I don't have any advice on builds tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sure. Works fine. Start as consular with high wisdom (16 ish), and focus on your physical stats from there on. Take WM or Sith Maurauder as the prestige class. You'll have the added power reserves and higher DC's of the consular, plus all the fighting feats you need. Dual wield is suggested.

Another alternative is to start consular, and then go Sith assassin or Wathcman. Focus on wisdom with this build, and keep your dex high. You can immoblize enemies with the force and then sneak attack the snot out of them. I like to throw in stealth run for good measure, since you can hid and run up to an enemy at full speed and chop them up.

Of course you can be a good melee combatant as a consular. The key is, though, that you aren't going to be as much of a tank as a Guardian will be.

To build a melee consular, realize that you're not going to get too many feats. Thus, trying to build up a character for two weapon fighting isn't going to be too productive.

Instead, focus on improving your duelling feats. By the time you max it out, you're getting a nice +3 to hit and +3 defense bonus. Combine this with a weapon focus: lightsaber feat and now that's up to +4.

By the time you really do need to enter lightsaber combat (against one of the more powerful dark Jedi or Sith Lords), you can simply use the Makashi lightsaber form, and that will boost you up to +7 to hit, and +6 damage against them.

If you have extra feat spots, then put them towards Toughness.

Melee Consulars are best played as buff bots. Spend the first few rounds of combat casting powers that boost your physical attributes, speed you up, and reduce damage taken.

As for physical attributes, I'd go with raising your dexterity as it improves your defense and if you grab lightsaber finesse it will also improve your chance to hit. You're never going to do as much damage as a Guardian in melee and your vitality points are also lower so you need to concentrate on making sure you don't get hit.

For feats, I'd maximize duel wield and critical hit.

Elvish Leagion:

" Edit: I just relized...no jedi base class gets sneak attack like the first...that sucks"

The Jedi Watchman and Sith Assassin both get Sneak Attack, if I recollect correctly.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

To Maria, you are right. They do.

Sith Assassins have one more Sneak Attack feat but they are not as good fighters.

Jedi Watchman have more feats but they don't have as many Sneak Attacks.

But they are vitually the same.

So if you are a good Jedi Watchman, you will be good as a Sith Assassin.

I've done a couple melee consulars with two weapon fighting. It's pretty much the same choice as anywhere else (where 2 weapon fighting vs. dueling is concerned): if you focus on dueling, you'll nearly always hit when you attack, but with 2-weapon fighting, you get twice the attacks, so twice the chance to hit anyway.

The trick is to switch off between melee and casting. Or use combinations like stasis field/insanity---> master speed ----> attack. With the high wisdom and charisma consulars have, you can stasis nearly anyone, and then it's just a matter of cutting them down.

I tried the melee skills on a consular and found it works. I had to us the force powers that boost melee skills but it works.

The only thing I could never do with is was to win against all the Mandelorians in the Battle Circle. The consular seemed to fall far short no matter what I tried- unless I cheated. He has his hands tired when he can't use force powers.

Have any of you ever gotten your consulars thru the this melee challange?

James Dunn:

"Have any of you ever gotten your consulars thru the this melee challange?"

Yes. I had a 12 in str, a belt that gave me + 4 to strength, a pair of gauntlets that gave me +2 in strength, and an implant that gave me +2 in strength. Dxen was my second planet. I think my level was 16/4. I also had maxed dueling, which gives +3 to attack and defence.

The items in this game make my D&D characters weep in envy.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I tried the melee skills on a consular and found it works. I had to us the force powers that boost melee skills  but it works.

The only thing I could never do with is was to win against all the Mandelorians in the Battle Circle. The consular seemed to fall far short no matter what I tried- unless I cheated. He has his hands tired when he can't use force powers.

Have any of you ever gotten your consulars thru the this melee challange?

Activate your powers before you talk to the seargent.