After Telos Academy

My friend and I are having the same problem with KOTOR II for the PC. After the you're finished with the academy on Telos, you board the Ebon Hawk. It shows a cutscene where Atris talks about the Handmaiden leaving, and then when it goes back to the ship, the screen is just black. The interface is still there, I can still click on everything, I just can't see it. I can bring up the menu, and save my game, and then when I go to load it shows the picture of where I was in the ship, but if I load it up, the same thing happens.

I've tried reloading, reinstalling, repatching, just about everything.

I'm using Windows XP, I have 2 gigs of RAM, an AMD Athlon 64 processor, and an NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GT.

My friend has a Radeon of some kind, and somewhere around 4 gigs of ram.

He patched his version, I patched, and downloaded the movies and music patches.

This can't be the first time this problem has been encountered, but it's not metioned in any of the FAQ's that I looked at. So, what's wrong? Can it be fixed?

Usually a reload worked for me in such encounters such as the black screen.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Odd that both you and your friend with different systems are getting the exact same thing in the exact same spot. Did you both install (ahem) from the same disc? Perhaps there was something wrong with the disc and/or some graphic files corrupted/didn't install?

And @ MasterJediConsular - one can never have too much RAM. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My friend and I are having the same problem with KOTOR II for the PC.  After the you're finished with the academy on Telos, you board the Ebon Hawk.  It shows a cutscene where Atris talks about the Handmaiden leaving, and then when it goes back to the ship, the screen is just black.  The interface is still there, I can still click on everything, I just can't see it.  I can bring up the menu, and save my game, and then when I go to load it shows the picture of where I was in the ship, but if I load it up, the same thing happens.

I've tried reloading, reinstalling, repatching, just about everything.

I'm using Windows XP, I have 2 gigs of RAM, an AMD Athlon 64 processor, and an NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GT.

My friend has a Radeon of some kind, and somewhere around 4 gigs of ram.

He patched his version, I patched, and downloaded the movies and music patches.

This can't be the first time this problem has been encountered, but it's not metioned in any of the FAQ's that I looked at.  So, what's wrong?  Can it be fixed?

that exact same thing has happened to me. I can't explain why it happens. and you even played over again. just curious but when you did things in the academy, did you find your friends before competeing in the echani training fights? because for somereason the characters somehow get stuck there sometimes. so the next time you try and go through the academy do the echani fighting before you find your friends in the holding cells.

Wow, thanks Anakin. That did it. I ran through it twice, seems the only thing that matters is fighting the handmaidens before you go and get your party. Someone should write this down. Thanks for everyone's suggestions though. I appreciate your help.

Edited by Dekar346

• 1 month later...

So, I've got this bug. The black screen thing. I've tried reloading to a previous save, however, in all my saves I've already fought the Enchani warriors AFTER freeing my party, so I'm f'ed. Is there anyway to edit the saved game file or some other work around? I'd really really really rather not start over.

Assuming on PC, there's the KSE savegame editor, but while you can do some nifty fun things with it (mostly graphical oddities and major-cheating type stuff), I kind of doubt you can actually change the things you'd need to change in order to get past this apparent black screen bug, since it seems to be dialog-triggered during a cutscene event.

But it does have a lot of 'features/abilities' like global booleans & numerics (whatever those are) that I've never tried to alter, so who knows?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts