problem reading the alien dialogs

does any one know of a fix, cheat, mod or something that removes the 'time limit' from conversations ?

i mean when the aliens talk the text disappears too fast... my english isn't so well for me to read 20 words in 2 seconds !!!

this means every time an alien starts to talk i'd have to randomly choose dialog choices just to end the conversation and then go to the 'log' to find out what the heck is going on... then reload a saved game and try to remember the right answers ! in short, it's tedious...

can someone help ?

well, that's out of the question really...

though, even if they made a "persian" version just for me it'd still be pretty nice to be able to take your time and read every word, right ?

but it's not possible to have it in "my" language anyway, so i - for one - just "need" such an option...

Plenty of people speak Persian, and not just those who live in Iran and Afghanistan. English is not an easy language to learn, therefore it isn't too much to expect a game to be in your native tongue. English is my first language, and I have trouble reading what Chodo Habat says, so I can see the problem others might have.

There might be multi-lingual subtitle fix for PC, (Don't see why not) but not Xbox, that I know of( which isn't saying much.)

There is a list of Mod sites at www.lucasforums.com *shrugs*

Edited by Purgatorio

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

Use print screen button to capture screenshots of current game with dialogue lines if you find text display time might not be enough for you to read them in conversations. However, you might find that after having played about 5 to 6 games or more, text display time might be easier to get accustomed to as half of game dialogue tends to be similar to previous playthroughs.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

i don't really wanna sound dismissive, but i still think the best solution would be "removing the time limit" from dialogs, so that you can understand what people say right when they say it... instead of a minute later (using the "log" or a "screenshot") or in the next reload/playthru

any idea how to do "that" ?

The only way I've seen games use is when they show only a bit of dialogue in a box at a time, and you have to click 'more' to see more.

Problem is, that doesn't work with real-time spoken dialogue very well, as it loses the flow/continuity. I suppose you could have the vocal sounds and the written verbage pause at the same time, then continue when you press 'more', but unfortunately the average gamer would probably find that more distasteful than not being able to read at first glance.

I can understand the frustration tho. My husband is a very slow reader (he's a bit dyslexic or something similar) and that's one reason certain types of games (and subtitled movies, heheh) do not appeal to him.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

well, i think in case of this game it's pretty easy, 'cuz the dialog sounds (and their subtitles) are stored in separate files and the "click for more" mechanism is already there (but it's only used for "skipping" the dialog parts)...

now if only we could disable the code for "when done play the next" so the game would only wait for the user to "skip" each piece we'd be all set

and don't worry, the average gamer wouldn't care about a "mod" they won't have to install (after all mods are for the people who like'em)

and don't worry, the average gamer wouldn't care about a "mod" they won't have to install (after all mods are for the people who like'em)

Very true, that. :D

I was thinking more along the lines of the companies making games that way to begin with.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Am inclined to agree. Some of KotOR text messages, especially dialogue with words less than half a line can make story conveyance bit chaotic, or sometimes inconsistent. Just an example, dialogue between Bao-Dur and Atton on Ebon Hawk about possible love/romance between female PC and Atton were mostly almost one to two lines of dialogue.

Perhaps there could have been something like a continue button below each text message so that story can be paced for game user rather than being based on game pre-configured triggers executed at time that might be slightly faster than needed. So that continue button could be clicked on once displayed dialogue has been read. Again, not sure if possible.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

It's be nice if more game companies would include more than one option for dialogue handling in games - an option you could check/uncheck for stuff like using continue buttons instead of real-time. Not all games have mod capabilities. I dunno how much more work that'd be for them tho, in todays seeming time-crunch environment.

guys ! again i don't want to sound dismissive... but i'd say we're thinking about this almost too much

i mean, it all come down to a simple mod (probably changing a few lines of one file) and all that mod has to do is make the game forget about "automatically" playing the next part of the dialog... that's it, it's easy, but the only problem is i don't know how to "do" it

so it's not really about wishing that devs would start including this option in their games, but rather finding a modder who knows what part to change

and sorry if i'm a little rash, it's just taking too much time for somehing so simple... but then again, of all the forums i've started this thread on this is the only one that has a "second" post :p so thanx guys, but keep it to-the-point please

I had posted a reply with a link to that site that has modding tools but apparently I was a dufus and put it in the wrong thread. :p At any rate, I noticed that stoffe replied to one of your posts in the forum there. Did you try his things? I'm curious if they worked or not. I remember Stoffe used to frequent here from a year or more ago...very helpful and technically knowledgabe re: the game modding. :-

I was looking at the Mass Effect demo reel for E3 06 and thought is was cool.

The whole thing with text and sound in KotOR and KotOR 2 is fine but the they seem to have cut out the text in Mass Effect and it looks to all be in english. Even better you don't have to read thru every sentence of the replies to answer as they are summerizied when you choose them.

The effect of the conversations is much better to look at and I think it will catch on. It is my guess that the alien speech was in fact a way to not put it in an english voice and save time. I kind of get borded hearing the same exact sounds in every char. Perhaps its just me that has a memory that so cleary says that this has been herd b4 by a char that said something elss entirely.

It is my hope that in future games they will not need to solve this issue because they will use something that looks more natual than reading your way thru a live conversation when you are looking at the other person - or alien.