More of the Idiot dance...

;) I hate the Idiot Dance... Because of it I am stuck in the mines of Peragus, just before the tunnel with the deadly steam...

I have tried the 'vertex buffer' thingy;

My video card (Geforce2MX) is up to date and everything...

What can I do to fix this?

And if I need a new video card (which I do for Oblivion), what would be the best choice for someone wid a P4TPT800 Motherboard? :-

... <_<

New PC - no

And Geforce2 MX whatever, runs Far Cry really well, as well as Morrowindn, KotOR1, and so forth...

and the problems i'm having only start in the mines, everywhere else it runs prefectly... And I got past it once, but after that I got stuck even worse, and when I re-loaded, I was back on the other side wid the Idiot Dance...

So please, instead of criticising me and my video card, could you give actual advice?

geforce2MX wasn't a good card even for it's day tho it will run older games fair enough. It's one of those things where you won't realize how clunky a card it is until you get something better, but Kroney's assesment is pretty accurate. :(

That said, the 'steam' in Kotor2 can give at least minor lag problems to many even with better cards. If the ini file trick didn't help, there's not much to be done about it beyond avoiding standing near them/run by them as fast as possible.

PS - as to getting a new card - there's some threads in Skeeters Junkyard forum that talk about that issue.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Are you wondering what kind of card type your board supports? That's usually easy to figure out just by looking at the slots on the board. They're different sizes/placements for the different types and often also seperated by color.

For example:

agp-pci_slots.gif

From this spec page it would appear you have an AGP slot.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I know that, but just for the card that i want to buy, it needs .9v and for my geforce2mx my mobo is using 1.5v and i have no idea if it is switchable... :shifty:

and here are my system specs (i kno i do not have aenough ram...)

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=01.10.2006 21:05:52

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.10.427

GameInstallLocation=H:\Games\RPG\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinNT2000

Version=Windows 2000 v5.0 build 2195 Service Pack 4

Service Pack=Service Pack 4

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

C:\pagefile.sys=384

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=2395

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=2

CPUStepping=9

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName= Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.40GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=256

Status=Warning

[Disk Free Space]

C: (FAT32), UNICODE=5.23GB

F: (FAT32), UNICODE=16.23GB

G: (FAT32), UNICODE=6.50GB

H: (FAT32), UNICODE=3.51GB

I: (FAT32), UNICODE=6.14GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\,E:\,L:\

Drives=HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B,LITE-ON COMBO LTC-48161H

[Video]

Video Card Name=NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Video Memory=64

Desktop Resolution=1280x1024x32 @ 72Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=1.5.7

OpenGL Vendor=NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Renderer=GeForce2 MX/AGP/SSE2

NVidia Driver=6.14.10.9147

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=C-Media AC97 Audio Device

Status=Pass

Edited by RustyNail

The RAM issue could also be contributing to your game-freezing. I hope you're going to buy another stick or two of RAM along with the vid card; the one without the other probably won't make much performance difference, especially with Oblivion. :thumbsup: If it's one or the other I'd buy the RAM first.

I don't know about the voltage question, but depending on the card you're looking at, you might want to check your power supply. Some of the newer/beefier AGP cards may not install/work if that's not big enough (500W, say). I had that problem when I bought the 7800GS. heh

As the lady said, adding more ram (a total of 1gb at least) is no luxury today.

From top of my head (which means, it could be incorrect), the different voltages are related to the agp speed. The older agpx1-x4 cards used more voltage than the agpx8 cards. At the least, thats how I remember it. I bought my card at the time where x8 was becoming the norm and x1-x4 started dying out, so I kept an eye on voltages on motherboards and gfx cards back then (3 years ago).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The RAM issue could also be contributing to your game-freezing. I hope you're going to buy another stick or two of RAM along with the vid card; the one without the other probably won't make much performance difference, especially with Oblivion. :( If it's one or the other I'd buy the RAM first.

I don't know about the voltage question, but depending on the card you're looking at, you might want to check your power supply. Some of the newer/beefier AGP cards may not install/work if that's not big enough (500W, say). I had that problem when I bought the 7800GS. heh

Agreed... 256MB RAM just don't cut it. It didn't really cut it a year ago either...

Windows uses about 200MB when your computer is booted. That leaves 56MB for other applications that loads...such as MSN, Anti-Virus, Display related shells and so forth. This means the games are left with virtually no physical ram, and have to resort to page-files, which is very slow.

Todays computers shouldn't have less than 1GB RAM.

I've played K2 through many times, and had no problems in the steam tunnels until I upgraded to my new (first) Nvidia card. ATI 9600 breezed right through even Dantooine with the .ini file fix, but this 7600 got my character completely stuck on the most recent playthrough (using 1GB system ram). Just sayin', upgrading to a newer Gforce might not be the answer. I was pretty toasted at the time because K2 was the first game I'd played with it.

I know the exact spot he's talking about. I think I ended up having to restore a previous savegame and run my PC at an area that had the least steam effect, rinse and repeat. If it's any consolation, that was the only place in the whole game that happened. And skipping Peragus isn't an option, for some folks who want to play the game the way it was intended.

Edited by kalimeeri

ok...

So 1. i need more ram

2. new vid

argh... about the mod, i seem to have no choice, at least until i can upgrade my sysrem... And why does the game not ahve a cheat to move you to another area? that would have made my life soo much easier, just skip ahead to the fuel depot...

Just sayin', upgrading to a newer Gforce might not be the answer.  I was pretty toasted at the time because K2 was the first game I'd played with it.

I've been playing w/ge cards ever since VooDoo went defunct, and have had very few serious problems. It's always interesting to observe how people with the same vid. cards can have no problems or tons of problems, and how the card often is blamed.

One has to remember that pc's aren't made of video cards (or RAM) alone. There's a gazillion other software/hardware combination factors that can cause errors when cobbled together. ;)

Just sayin', upgrading to a newer Gforce might not be the answer.  I was pretty toasted at the time because K2 was the first game I'd played with it.

I've been playing w/ge cards ever since VooDoo went defunct, and have had very few serious problems. It's always interesting to observe how people with the same vid. cards can have no problems or tons of problems, and how the card often is blamed.

One has to remember that pc's aren't made of video cards (or RAM) alone. There's a gazillion other software/hardware combination factors that can cause errors when cobbled together. :)

This is perfectly true, but since his GPU was out of date when Morrowind came out, I think we've found the culprit.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

The world of computers is moving along and it seems to me you know yours is out of date. You will solve this problem only to get new ones with any newer games.

The Geforce2 is old... and the MX is the lesser model.... Its a wounder it runs so well. Plz consider upgrading. As with every new computer I have ever known you get into a frame of mind of thinking it is fine... runs great... and it dose. But when there is a big upgrade like the one you need, it is a great expirance to get your hands on new tech. Also when it comes to games you will often see big improvments.

7 years is a good age to say that a computer is out of date to the point that it will likey fail you in preforming modern programs. In other words you should have it changed before then, like 5 is good enough, you now need a new one. But plz note, the date of the computer I am refering to here is not "when I bought it", its when it was realeased to the world. The Geforce2 is about 7 or 8 years old. What about the rest of your computer?

Edited by James Dunn