System Shock 2

Dark_Raven

How well does energy carry you to the end of the game?

Well the energy weapons are really good against bots and cyborgs, and, as you pointed out cameras and turrets, not so good against other things. The decision to spend level 6 points on the emp rifle is a tough call since it is useless against anything that can't be knocked out by an em pulse.

But the huge advantage is of course, free and infinite ammo! WHich is a huge plus for the non-hacker, who will find less ammo than the hacker and also have to fight more.

AT the momemt I am undecided if I will take energy weapons any higher than level three.

Also, if it doesn't, what's your alternative?

I will probably go for a backup in standard weapons. I should have a ton of unusued ammo by mid-game. I may however go with the exotic weapons instead, since that tree tends to be less useful against anything made of metal and deadly against everything else. A sort of counter-point to the energy weapons tree.

Standard weapons are pretty powerful with the variety of ammo available. A non-hacker just can't be totally dependt on them on they wil run out of ammo almost immediately.

I'm kinda tempted to go that route... firearms make the game easy once you know what you're doing.  :ph34r:

:)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well, I raised my Modify skill to level 2 and then promptly proceeded to break my only laser pistol attempting the first level modification. :">

This left me with the wrench as my only weapon for a while until I was able to get Energy to level 4 and my agility to 3 to I could use the laser rapier I found in the security office by the engine nacelles.

Since I had gone that far on the energy tree I decided to go all the way. I am currently at Level 5 energy.

I finally found an unbroken laser pistol and I found a repair unit and used it on my broken one, so now I have 2 lasers! WHich is nice. I was able to mod the second one without breaking it, once I found the level 1 Modify software.

I'm just entering Operations and have almost enough cyber-modules to go to level 6 energy, but I've only found one EMP rifle and it was broken. ANd without any repair skill or a repair unit, that makes it useless to me. So I will probably hold off on the level 6 increase until I find a working one. I'll need to raise my maintenance skill anyway in the meantim.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Welp, my Doom style game came to an end quickly.

Not sure why, but I'm getting a lot of lockups this game. :(

I get random lockups too playing under XP. SOmetimes I can play for a long time without one, sometimes I'll get three or four over the span of ten minutes.

As long as I prevent the game from trying to utilize hyperthreading, for the most part it's great.