System Shock 2

Dark_Raven

I wonder what a meleer with a laser sword would be like. :)

In System Shock 1 the laser sword was an awesome weapon, but in the sequel it was severely toned down.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Indeed. Even if it's still not as incredible as the laser sword in SS1.

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The whole laser tree isn't so hot in SS2. OK against bots though and free ammo. I hate those spiders. :ph34r:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I just boarded the RIckenbacker and am preparing for the final levels.

I have um 3000 unspent nanites and 200 unspent cyber modules.

I really have played this game way too much. :ph34r:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hey, does anyone know of a site that has all the email logs on it?

I think it'd be cool to read them by person, and in order.

I once did that in game. :">

Well, I finally reached the Many level. Ran around for a while, got bored, and then stopped. That level really does not appeal to me.

I started a new character though. A melee marine. I'm going to try to go the non-hacking route, although the temptaion will be hard to resist.

The big question will be if I am going to build the energy weapon tree. They are wasted points by the end game, but if you do it early enough, its a pretty good tree against bots and cyborgs.

My last character reminded me just how sucky the heavy weapons route is. Stupid plasma cannon is more of a danger to you than it is any of your enemies. I blow myself apart a handful of times and it still takes 5 or 6 shots to bring down a rumbler. bleah.

I think that's exactly what I am going to do. :(

THe EMP rifle is awesome in its own way but that's a goshdarn large amount of points to spend on a weapon that's only useful against half your enemies.

Why can't I see my shoes?

It's a common effect from older games, and still exists today. Typically the person isn't bothered to be rendered, since they don't need to be. Feet is purely aesthetic.

Who am I?

You're a member of Navy/Army/Psi Corps that was stationed on the Rickenbaker. When you woke up, you found that your body had been augmented cybernetically.

What's my motivation?

To stay alive? You woke up for your 4th tour of duty, in a situation where you were about to be in an area that was depressurized. As far as you can tell, there is only one other person alive, and she's trying to help you get to her. Things have gone horribly wrong, and the best way to survive is to work together.

Why can't I see my shoes?

It's a common effect from older games, and still exists today.  Typically the person isn't bothered to be rendered, since they don't need to be.  Feet is purely aesthetic.

Who am I?

You're a member of Navy/Army/Psi Corps that was stationed on the Rickenbaker.  When you woke up, you found that your body had been augmented cybernetically.

What's my motivation?

To stay alive?  You woke up for your 4th tour of duty, in a situation where you were about to be in an area that was depressurized.  As far as you can tell, there is only one other person alive, and she's trying to help you get to her.  Things have gone horribly wrong, and the best way to survive is to work together.

Thx, Alan. My questions were slightly rhetorical (mocking an identity neither totally absent nor wholly compelling), but your summaries are helpful. Some is news to me.

Gonna buy the full game. (Maybe that one comes with feet?) Anyone seen it priced under $20 USD?

Also looking forward to Bioshock. Have been since I read the cover story in March 2006 _Game Informer_. Great writeup there...

awesome. More converts to cult of SS2. Soon your individual will and guiding purpose will cease to be. :)

My marine is about to enter the cargo bays and has yet to spend a point on hacking. Level 3 in Energy weapons and Maintenance. Level 1 in research. Level 3 in strength. If you want to use energy weapons early you really need to make sure you take the enery weapon posting since it starts you with a laser pistol.

How well does energy carry you to the end of the game?

Also, if it doesn't, what's your alternative?

I'm kinda tempted to go that route... firearms make the game easy once you know what you're doing. :ph34r: