System Shock 2

Dark_Raven

I used to buy Guides because I hated getting stuck (especially by a puzzle or something) and not being able to continue/finish. That was before game forum/sites were all the rage and it wasn't always easy to find a quick answer. Plus, I liked the ones that gave formulas and percentages and other geeky stuff. :D

As long as you don't read the Guide, play, read the Guide, play...nah, doesn't ruin anything.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not really. Just go into the situation prepared. But I will not read the end of it, I'll keep the ending a surprise though.

You'll ruin the game if you do that.

It's a horror game. You shouldn't know what to expect when playing it for the first time.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Not really. Just go into the situation prepared. But I will not read the end of it, I'll keep the ending a surprise though.

It's a horror game. You shouldn't know what to expect when playing it for the first time.

That's true. If you have a specific question or want guidelines to building your character you should post here instead. There a lot of people here who have played the game. I know I could give you general character building guidance that would allow you a fun playthough without any spoilers.

From a puzzle-solving standpoint, it's a pretty easy and logical game. There's a lot of stuff you have to do in the game, but none of it is hard to figure out. One of the reasons I like it!

edit: I should point out that the last level is kind of a pain and I don't like it all that much because its a little more "tricksy". WHenever I replay SS2, I usually stop after leaving the Rickenbacker.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Bah. Pretty much every game that I bought when it was first released, I always picked up the game guide if it had one. I know what I am doing. Hell I was surprised at the Revan revelation in K1 to be you.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

You'll be sorry.

And anyway, the problem isn't the story, it's the way the game is designed and the way they make you feel while the game unfolds.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

That's true. If you have a specific question or want guidelines to building your character you should post here instead. There a lot of people here who have played the game. I know I could give you general character building guidance that would allow you a fun playthough without any spoilers.

From a puzzle-solving standpoint, it's a pretty easy and logical game. There's a lot of stuff you have to do in the game, but none of it is hard to figure out. One of the reasons I like it!

edit: I should point out that the last level is kind of a pain and I don't like it all that much because its a little more "tricksy". WHenever I replay SS2, I usually stop after leaving the Rickenbacker.

I was distracted for a few weeks after I reached

I think the last level of the Rickenbacker ... crew quarters and nasty ED209-type gunners and the puzzle is to get the key for the dock

and I couldn't recall the controls and I saved in a fairly difficult place, and I just thought "Why am I playing this silly part of the game?"; really it was just difficult for difficulties-sake, like the last boss in Quake IV. :(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I agree. Hacking is probably a bit overpowered as a skill. You can go without it of course, but it is SO useful that to not take is intentionally handicapping yourself. If you are into that from a roleplaying perspective, that's totally cool, of course. And not developing Hack gives you a lot of points to spend elsewhere, but point for point hack is unmateched for utility.

Psi is a completely different game. Going total PSI is extremely difficult for 2 reasons: 1) You keep having to spend tons of nanites of PSI hypos since there are so few in the game. 2) You have to switch back and forth between your psi powers on the fly which is a lot like keeping three balls in the air while you are being chased by a cyborg assassin. Not easy. Psi is best used as a complement for either a weapons or tech build.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

My first (and only) game was with a Psi.

Weird. For some reason I thought you had played it a lot more than one time. ;)

I've played Deus Ex about half-a-dzoen times all the way through. ;)

I have played System Shock 2 for many, many hours, though. :- I nearly started a new game (but I wasn't sure what to do, after a Psi).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I've played Deus Ex about half-a-dzoen times all the way through. :)

Yet when I saw a picture of your desk, I also happened to notice the Sold-Out version of Deus Ex! I am.. shocked.

SHAME ON YOU, META!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Those CDs get scratched easily.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I've played Deus Ex about half-a-dzoen times all the way through. :wacko:

Yet when I saw a picture of your desk, I also happened to notice the Sold-Out version of Deus Ex! I am.. shocked.

SHAME ON YOU, META!

Actually, that was the first game I bought when I decided to start playing games again (after a hiatus of many years).

If I could, I'd go back in time and play it earlier. And I would gladly buy the original now, if it were possible. Brilliant game.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

My fave non-hacking character is a melee marine with backup in standard weapons. Takes a lot of damage, but since they are tough, fast, and strong, they can absorb it and really dish it out in return.

A non-hacking char really need to have either psi or melee since they can't get a lot of supplies thorugh hacking so they tend to run out of ammo quickly.