System Shock 2

Dark_Raven

SS2 is a HEAP more complicated than any other FPS you've ever seen (the guns are either broken or very close to broken every time you get one.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's not pirating if no one gets money from it. And the people who upload abandonware are definetly not pirates, since who else than those who really love games would play something so ancient like Populous or Death Rally. There's nothing that's newer than about a decade in abandonware sites

And as far as I know, the only place you still could buy a copy of SS2 is Ebay. Which is a closed option for most people outside Merikuh.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

SS2 is a great game for its genre. I haven't played many others of similar type so can't really give a rating comparison but...it's a good game. Not your typical shoot-em up.

It's not pirating if no one gets money from it.

I would disagree with that highly on a principle level, but I can see where you're coming from.

Abandonware is still covered under copyright, unless it has been put into the public domain by the copyright holders themselves. But it's pretty common these days and so far as I know, no company with games on abandonware sites have complained so...people will continue to put them up.

Edit: I guess early on there was some flak but...well it gets complicated.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I could never get my totally legit abandonware copy to work.  :p

Something to do with the DivX codecs they used.

After extracting you had to run an installationfile (included with all the files) to make the movies and music execute properly.

After that it worked fine; till the main menu turned totally black after a specific level and now I cannot save/load; making the game impossible for me...

(altough I didn't knew you could change ammo type with a key)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Just get it. If I had to choose the best game of all time, SS2 might just get my vote.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It's not pirating if no one gets money from it. And the people who upload abandonware are definetly not pirates, since who else than those who really love games would play something so ancient like Populous or Death Rally. There's nothing that's newer than about a decade in abandonware sites

Actually it is still piracy. In developed countries, the term of a software license is 75 years. Despite the fact that a software product may no longer be purchased, it is still technically illegal to acquire it without paying for it.

The thing is, because there's little financial stake to worry about it, no one really cares. A place like Underdogs rationalizes it this way, in effect coming to the conclusion that it truly is a victimless crime, as the game is no longer for sale.

As for the games list, I love Deus Ex. I prefer it over both System Shock 2 and definitely over Bloodlines. The game was of excellent quality, and was also a substantial length. There were many times I figured I was coming up to the end of the game (and I wouldn't have been disappointed), but then the story would continue and I'd get more JD awesomeness. I felt it was more refined than System Shock 2 as well, and just enjoyed the story and setting much more than System Shock 2's. Being part of a more living and breathing world, with more than just hostiles running around made things more interesting. The setting of System Shock 2 is pretty cool, but the fact that you're essentially all alone is a bit of a turnoff for me. It's also a knock against Bioshock, though I still think it'll be an excellent game.

For a long time Deus Ex and Half-Life were essentially a tie for #1 on my favourite game list. Looking back now, Half-Life inclusion seems to be a bit more nostalgia based when I last played through it, so I ended up officially considering Deus Ex my favourite game, as even today I can still get engaged in the game almost unlike no other.

All of you SS2 fans, have anyone tried playing with one of the rebirth mods or the shtup one? And f o, do they hold up and actually miprove the visuals of the game?

While I'm not a huge graphics snob, SS2 is a bit too old for me, but if thosemods are decent it could be worth giving it a try.

I've got a game going right now. I'll post soem screenies later so you can see how it looks. Despite what Spider says, I think its actually still a pretty good looking game. Low Polys. Uses the awesome Dark Engine which powered Thief 1 and Thief 2. Excellent AI.

Here's a basic screenie I posted in another thread for a taste of the game:

sshock2.jpg

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.