Vampire: Requiem

Meshugger

Since Bloodlines has a nice following at this board, and that White Wolf discontinued the Masquerade-series. I've been wondering if Obsidian or any other RPG-developer has any interest in the Requiem-series. The most positive about the new revision is that the the whole "Caine/Gehenna/Thin-blood"-setting was ditched, less clans and more covenants are available, giving more options and freedom to developers to make their own story.

Thoughts? Ideas?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think Masquerade was a bloated abomination that stretched from it's seams and Requiem is a much needed redemption for the setting. The lore was just too much.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think Requiem is a souless abomination, and I hope a video game of it is never made. :)

But that's just me. :)

Care to elaborate?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I think Requiem is a souless abomination, and I hope a video game of it is never made. :devil:

But that's just me. :-

Care to elaborate?

Certainly.

White Wolf has created it's own storyless "d20-ish" standard system in the form of the nWoD.

Unfortunately, rather than doing the smart thing and going the generic Gurps route, they've instead made a half-assed attempt at a middle ground using "almost oWoD" things. (in the form of their "new" clans and other nonsense) and tried to hard to "not be the oWoD".

Not only that, but they're making the same mistake they did with the oWoD. Though this time they're bloating the system (with pointless bloodlines and backgrounds and other useless "game tools") rather than keeping it streamlined.

They could have very easily chosen to just "reboot" the old setting, applied it to the new system, and had a fully functional game as well as a framework for people to make their own games.

Instead they made a weak attempt to copy the various peoples who copied them when the oWoD was first out and at the height of it's popularity.

People keep complaining that the oWoD's story was the problem... clearly these people are being short sighted and are missing the fact that the story wasn't the problem... MANY an RPG has a storyline/solid setting and has done well... what was wrong with the oWoD is the fact WW abused that story. Particularly in the area of sidelining the players in favor of their "in house" characters.

I think Requiem is a souless abomination, and I hope a video game of it is never made. :-

BAH! If it has to be Requiem I will take it. It's better than nothing since Masquerade is gone.

I'd rather have nothing than a crappy vampire game.

Actually, I wouldn't have nothing.

I'd have a good game rather than a crappy vampire one as the company would have made something else. :devil:

I'm interested in seeing what the Obsidian devs can do with a mature setting.  The licensed music in Bloodlines was nice.  Wonder what Obsidian would select.

The music was great. They advertised some bands throughout the game who did not have any music in the game like Collide.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I think Requiem is a souless abomination, and I hope a video game of it is never made. :)

BAH! If it has to be Requiem I will take it. It's better than nothing since Masquerade is gone.

I'd have a good game rather than a crappy vampire one as the company would have made something else. :thumbsup:

:blink:

2010spaceships.jpg

I think Requiem is a souless abomination, and I hope a video game of it is never made. :thumbsup:

I'd have a good game rather than a crappy vampire one as the company would have made something else. :blink:

How do we know that it will be a craptastic game, if ever developed? While the new setting seems less dark and apocalyptic, it gives the developer more freedom to write down a good story.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

How do we know that it will be a craptastic game, if ever developed? While the new setting seems less dark and apocalyptic, it gives the developer more freedom to write down a good story.

This should be obvious.

A developer can take a good setting and ruin it... but when the setting is lacking to begin with they have far less to work with.

While I certainly miss the Masquerade, I really like the new Requiem setting too, so I'd love to see a new Vampire game based on the nWOD.

The setting's hardly lacking, except when it comes to meta-plot, and that's not really a bad thing, in my view. It leaves the door wide open for a good dev to make the most of the setting, since there's plenty of interesting background info on covenants, clans, locations, etc to draw from without being bogged down with too much binding meta-plot.

Plus, with how open to interpretation much of the background info is, a good dev would have a lot of leeway to craft their own unique version of the nWOD... at which point they might be better off just writing their own vampire centric setting rather than buying White Wolf's, mind you, but that's neither here nor there :devil:

I like both settings, if they made a game for Requiem that is fine by me.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

my favorite part of The Masquerade was the lore. I didn't even play other than one session of Dark Age(didn't have the time), yet I went out and bought like 6 books on the various stuff just because it was so interesting.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

my favorite part of The Masquerade was the lore. I didn't even play other than one session of Dark Age(didn't have the time), yet I went out and bought like 6 books on the various stuff just because it was so interesting.

nEver tried Dark Age. tooo bad they killed Masquerade it was a good setting.

the ghenna crap got tiring afterr a wile.

2010spaceships.jpg

nEver tried Dark Age. tooo bad they killed Masquerade it was a good setting.

the ghenna crap got tiring afterr a wile.

Dark age is cool but its really more of a companion to the Masquerade than its own setting. It just seemed cooler to me to start a character in Dark Age and have the story unfold eventually leading into the Masquerade.

It was fun, I had a Ventrue lord, my sister was also embraced, while my brother was disgusted by what had happened to us and became a hunter.

I was teamed up with my friend's character, a Tremere monk who was obsessed with finding all the pieces of the original Book of Nod. We'd always make fun of him because of how when you sleep your hair always grows back to what it was when you were embraced. So even when he got to the 20th century, he'd always wake up with a tonsure.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg