New Power Suit Amplifies Human Strength

Amentep

http://www.livescience.com/technology/060928_power_suit.html

Thought this was an interesting story; particularly since this and the story of the "feeling" artificial limb seem so akin to science fiction. Now where's flying cars or practical jet packs...?

:thumbsup:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I can see that working, but there are other methods to move somebody...

It reminds me of Heinlein's gorilla-like powered-suit in Starship Troopers (the book you fools, not the movie).

I think that the idea - while they could move patients in a number of ways now (burly male nurses or two-three nurses working together) that allowing a single nurse to use a suit might make better use of existing personell resources.

Its an interesting idea, but I think it'll be some time before they work the kinks out of it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think this is moving entirely the wrong way. I want my granny in one of those babies, tossing chavs left and right like bowling pins.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Scientific fiction gradually becomes scientific fact...

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

My mother could've used one of those.

Funky as it looks, at least it seems like it could eventually be something functional, rather than just a novelty.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Power suits, invisibility cloaks...those crazy Japanese are going to take over the world.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

My mother could've used one of those.

Funky as it looks, at least it seems like it could eventually be something functional, rather than just a novelty.

True, both my father's father and my father could have used such a suit near the end of their lives. :-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT