Planescape Trilogy Announced!

jaguars4ever

Do you think they would take one of my Oblivion characters?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

So what's the difference between a studio with an executive producer and a bunch of modders?

HAHAHHAHAHAHAH... wait... are you serious?

Let's go with top 5.

Money.

Professionalism.

Not making press releases for a mod using a game that hasn't been released yet.

Experience? (I have no idea who is on the team, so...)

Not "planning" a mod, and then putting out a "casting call" for characters.

So this is actually a professional endeavour? I don't understand why a professional outfit would make a mod for a game unless they were going to charge money for it, which it appears they aren't. This is a pretty large undertaking, what's in it for them?

Edited by Jumjalum

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

I think they are just modders acting like professionals.

This is my impression as well. It says in the press release that their (12 person) team consists of "some of the most practiced designers and custom content generators in the community". They specifically mention two PW modders (although not by name) and that they have a combined NWN modding experience of 20 years.

So yeah, modders acting profesionally (and maybe hoping they'll become something like the next DLA if the mod is popular).

But it does sound interesting, I just hope they can live up to the high expectations they're creating. But how they're going to be able to graphically capture the experience of Sigil with a release date in december is beyond me. I do hope they pull it off though.

Edit: I checked around their site a little and found that most of the team has worked on either the Myth Drannor PW or the Gatecrashers PW (a lot of them have worked on both). Gatecrashers seems to be a Planescape PW, so if anyone has any experience with it, maybe that person can enlighten us to the quality of that one, since it should be a decent judge of their abilities.

Edited by Spider

I thought it was just a big hakpack, not a mod. When I still played NWN mods (I installed NWN recently) I saw many times new CODI stuff coming out.

I don't know was they ready, but newest CODI stuff few months ago was awesome.

Back on topic: This sounds cool

Sleepy me.

Unistalled

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I don't understand any of what you said.

You asked what the difference is between a real studio and a bunch of modders.

The difference is pretty big.

Then you ask if it is a professional endeavor...

You go ahead and think about what you posted. I'll be here.

I know the difference is big, but what I was getting at is that this seems more like the work of a group of modders rather than a genuine software studio. This is the first time I've seen a press release like this from a modding group.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

What if you got paid in beard hair, pipe tobacco, and goats?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Even better?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 2 months later...

Indeed, damn big file

I like the music :blink:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I had a look at the new trailer a day or two ago and was a bit disappointed for something 60+megs.  <_<

Hey, I appreciate any feedback on the trailer.

The size of the trailer was a concern, but the following problems arise:

1) If I make it much smaller, resolution-wise, the text from in-game will become illegible for all but the most-hawk-eyed of viewers, and

2) If I compress much harder than I did, there will be a lot of compression artifacts, making the whole viewing experience pretty unsatisfactory.

I settled on a fair-sized DL in exchange for higher-visual quality on the main version of the trailer. There is also a smaller, lower quality 25 megabyte version on the entry page of our website.

By comparison, the new NWN2 official trailer is around 25 megs, and is around 40% of the length of the Purgatorio trailer (not a quality comparison, just benchmarking the filesize), so the filesize of the Purgatorio trailer is in line with the filesizes of most of the other trailers available.

-Monty

Indeed, damn big file

I like the music :o

Those are just two of the 30 custom tracks the four composers have created so far, which include full-length area themes, combat themes, and character incidentals for each of the party companions.

I've been meaning to add some links to the composer's home pages, so people can check out their other styles of music too, which ranges from more traditional fantasy fare to breakbeat techno stuff.

Also, since folks are discussing this on these forums this bears mentioning: This project is not made, distributed or supported by Bioware, Atari or Obsidian Entertainment, it is simply a community DnD project for NWN2, and represents no challenge to the intellectual property rights held by Hasbro/WOTC, or any other respective trademark or copyright holders.

-Monty

There are plenty of dwarves in the Hive, though not as many as in the Lower Ward.

This shows great promise. The implied tone, ambience, dialogues, and characters are spot on. If this actually ends up coming out, I will be one happy archdevil.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.