FMV in games

DAWUSS

Does anyone miss these? Back when you had actual actors acting out cutscenes and the game felt like an actual cinematic film and everything wasn't CGI. Now, I know FMV in video games is sooooooo '90's, but still...

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

The problem with FMV's is that they are inflexible. With scripted cutscenes you can easily do things like switch the look of a character to another etc. this is especially important in RPGs

But FMV's do look pretty sweet if done right.. the one in the intro of Dawn of War is just plain awesome.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

WITH LUKE SKYWALKER!!!! :p)

I mean Mark Hamill...

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Does anyone miss these? Back when you had actual actors acting out cutscenes and the game felt like an actual cinematic film and everything wasn't CGI.

Good God, no.

RIP FMV and never return.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I loved the FMV intro of Daggerfall. It still rocks.

:huh:

ewwwww. And I love Daggerfall totally and wtih all my heart.

EXCEPT the FMV opening. :p

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

FMV's rule.  :huh:

never heard anyone say that before.

Weird. :p

WING COMMANDER 3!

That was the movie - I mean game

When I hear FMV I think C&C

Me too

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

I actually strongly dislike any sort of cutscene or movie. Anything that takes control from the player is bad, in my opinion.

I hate it when I'm playing a game and come to a pinnacle time in a story, only to have the control taken from me and watch my character react in a way I would not have him react.

I actually strongly dislike any sort of cutscene or movie.  Anything that takes control from the player is bad, in my opinion.

I hate it when I'm playing a game and come to a pinnacle time in a story, only to have the control taken from me and watch my character react in a way I would not have him react.

Depends on the game. If it's a game about choices (RPG), then I would mostly agree. If I'm playing Zelda or RE4, tell me a good story.

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beat Within

This game was FMV, took about 5-7 cds i believe? Great stuff! But nowadays animation is looking so realistic that either or does it for me. As long as their is a human element that i can relate too.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig