Games = Art

metadigital

I'm merely trying to find a line of distinction between art that might be shown in a museum and art that is not.

Try using adjectives. If words fail, hire an appraiser. ;)

blue, blue wherefore art thou, blue? ;)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I personally think games should be made to be fun by the same kinds of people who play them.

The article seems to be really about games made by and for a particular subset of Christians.

Good idea.

Of course, there are lots of different kinds of Christians. ;)

For example when the Christian game maker says "I was rather skeptical at first, but God kept opening doors for me [that] I didn't think would open." lots of other Christians might wonder to themselves what he says about God when things arn't going so well for him. ;)

Some might wonder whether he isn't too focused on himself and even perhaps thinking of God as a servant to his needs. :p

Not such good values perhaps afterall. :(

He might be suprised that he isn't Christian enough for some. :D

(I am now going to say three Hail Marys and four Our Fathers and smack myself around some as pennance for my arrogance and pride among other faults.) :(

Edited by Colrom

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

One of my best friends is a born again CHristian. He doesn't play games, but he plays guitar and works as a recording engineer. He writes Christian rock songs which are a little goofy, but he's totally cool. Just because someone's into Chrisitianity doesn't make them uncool. SO I'm all for Christian games.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

One of my best friends is a born again CHristian.  He doesn't play games, but he plays guitar and works as a recording engineer.  He writes Christian rock songs which are a little goofy, but he's totally cool.    Just because someone's into Chrisitianity doesn't make them uncool.  SO I'm all for Christian games.

Seems right to me.

By the way you often mention other people and the interesting things they say and do. That's nice. Thanks. :)

By the way you often mention other people and the interesting things they say and do. That's nice. Thanks.  :)

I'm a lot less interesting than most of the people I've known. :)

as long as the line moves fast it won't be a problem!

Just keep the text on the exhibits to a minimum, please.  :thumbsup:

I plan on having little paraphrases along the bottom of the exhibits, so you'll get an idea of what is said. When you select that exhibit, it will act out the full description with full voice overs (text subtitles optional).

The real question is how many dimensions of art are encompased in a video game.

A few are:

*Visual art/design

*Sound and Music arts

*Language arts

There are certainly others. What about interface art/design. Packaging art/design.

There are also internal arts/crafts used to make the game visable to only a few - a well turned path finding algorithm will be a thing of beauty to some. (w00t)

If the game is intended to teach values then that involves design but also moves the game away from a pure fine arts objective of just being fun more toward an applied arts/design objective of teaching while being fun enough to hold attention.

In terms of RPG games I think the best approach to teaching values (assuming that you accept fiction) is to have designers who evidence committment to the desired values be the ones who make the game.

I really think it is true that if you want to teach a lesson you should write a sermon or an editorial, but if you want to make an RPG write a character or two. If you are lucky maybe one of your characters will have inspiring experiences.

The topic is way toooooo huuuuuge. :-

You people shold read Bloom's Western Canon, and also everyone's views on aesthetics since Plato.

Trash, Art, and the Movies by Pauline Kael is also interesting. You may be able to find this essay on the internet.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: