Microsoft's new DRM policies

angshuman

As a slashdot reader mentioned, the point is that not many people know otherwise. The average Joe doesn't even know there are alternatives. Also, don't forget that regardless of what Media Player you use, you'll be running it on Windows. How long before MS transfers these functionalities to the OS core? WMP could just be a testbed.

Coupled with the rumours about how the decoding of media will take place in a special "protected memory space" in WinVista that will be inaccessible to non-MS program, this looks even worse.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Quite evidently, this is a violation of your privacy. This function will be removed for users in the EU.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

• 4 weeks later...
Microsoft's Guidelines for Customer Privacy

Microsoft has released its 'Privacy Guidelines for Developing Software Products and Services.' According to Peter Cullen, chief privacy strategist, Microsoft has learned about protecting user's data from such endeavors as Hailstorm and WGA. 'Certainly that and other things have contributed to us thinking deeply with how we provide security and privacy, as well as respect and control with how their information is used,' he said. 'We think others should join in this discussion.'

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

"As a slashdot reader mentioned, the point is that not many people know otherwise. The average Joe doesn't even know there are alternatives. Also, don't forget that regardless of what Media Player you use, you'll be running it on Windows. How long before MS transfers these functionalities to the OS core? WMP could just be a testbed."

If that happens we will finally start to see a rise in Linux releases because people will be deserting windows in droves. I can't wait.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

If that happens we will finally start to see a rise in Linux releases because people will be deserting windows in droves.

:o On what planet?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Right, my mom all her friends, my sister, brother, all the computer users at my job, the travel agent down the street, the hospital, are all going to abandon windows and go to Linux.

Yup. Sure they are

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Right, my mom all her friends, my sister, brother, all the computer users at my job, the travel agent down the street, the hospital, are all going to abandon windows and go to Linux.

Yup.  Sure they are

The barrier (it seems you are suggesting, and I would agree) is the user-friendliness of Linux alternatives.

If that issue were hurdled, then a Wine-enabled PC would certainly be a possibility ... especially when you consider that Vista could cost

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

As far as everyday tasks such as web browsing, e-mail, and local file management are concerned, I would say that most modern distros such as Ububtu and Knoppix would be almost as easy to use as Windows. It's only when you get to system administration tasks (installing software, managing users etc.) that Linux becomes fairly more complex - and rightfully so IMO. For system security, you want only users with a fair amount of expertise to be able to perform such tasks. One of the biggest reasons behind Windows' security issues today is the abuse of Administrator accounts for day-to-day activities. Most people that use a machine for a dedicated application (such as travel agents, cashiers, bank tellers) wouldn't even realize what OS they are using since they are running a single application 24/7.

IMO one of the biggest the problem with Linux distros today is that Media/Entertainment support is pathetic. MPlayer and Xine are good products, but nowhere near as polished or as easy to get working as the players available for Windows. We all know the story with games. Microsoft is also trying hard to portray an image of Windows as a media platform. With the new DRM cartel in place, it looks like all OSS is going to be left out of the loop, so the problem is probably going to get worse.