We only talk about Fallout

Fenghuang

"Oh? What was it mr fountain of information?"

Real time with pause, phased based, sphaghetti with cheeseballs. Anything but real time or turn base. All one needs to know is that it isn't fully either of those so to refer to the IE/NWN/KOTOR type combat as either turn base or real time is at best a falalcy, or at worst, a lie.

I said it was both.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

For the love, there were rounds in which one player attacked, then the other NPCs took their turn! Is that not the very definition of turn-based? Can a game only be turn-based if the combat takes a really long time? It's not a fallacy, and it's not a lie, Volo. How can you even argue that it's not turn-based when the evidence is RIGHT THERE! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I agree with Drabek here.

Kotors, NWN, Fallouts... They all are turn-based

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Of course KOTOR was turn-based! Didn't you guys notice the whole "Feedback" section in the pause menu where you could actually check out what happened in the last battle?

"Wow, what happened there, it was all a blur!"

*Checks feedback -

"Oh, looks like I missed with all three attacks of my flurry, then that dude rolled a 20 to hit me with a critical strike PLUS I failed my fortitude saving throw. That stunned me so I missed my turn and then he nailed me with an Improved Power Attack hitting with 41 versus my defense of 21, resulting in a crapload of damage. Looks like I got owned."

KOTOR was turn-based, it just played flashy animations to make it look like the characters were fighting in real-time. AND Bio/OBS even incorporated a "autopause-after-each-turn" option for the old-fashioned gamers who each battle to take 15 minutes. I never used it, because I prefer to pause on my own to assign actions, but it was there.

Bingo.

I used the pause between turns function and had it on "pause" quite a bit so I could choose who and what I did with more finesse.

Depends on what you consider "turn based."

To me it just seemed like KOTOR and NWN and Baldur's gate split the turns into 6 second segments to give the illusion of real time.

Given how spells and attacks and whatnot still mention "turn" (how many attacks per turn. How many turns a spell effect lasts, and many turns in a round, etc.), the combat mechanics are still handled through turns.

Not surprisingly, there's a hefty amount of bias in that article.

What, the Myths against Turn Based combat are all bad and bash TB. There isn't a single myth about Turn Based combat that makes it seem better than it actually is.

Now lets look at RT. Oh wait, all the "myths" about RT are about how better it is. No myths at all about how bad RT is?

The same goes on for the other two. The myths are about how great it is, no myths about its faults. Only poor TB is picked on unfairly. I suppose it is possible that there aren't any myths, but it seems a bit convenient. I know it's the RPG codex and they are typically TB fanboys, but they're painting TB as too big of a victim.

You obviously haven't tried full contact, real-time chess :("

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You obviously haven't tried full contact, real-time chess  :("

What do you mean by full contact?

Another example of full contact sports: http://www.kungfu.net/sanshou.html

Other definitions here: http://www.answers.com/topic/contact-sport (search for "Full-contact sport" on the page).

A full-contact sport is similar to a semi-contact sport, but which contains physical contact between the combatants with the aim of causing a knockout or otherwise rendering the opponent inable to continue the match. Injuries are much more common in full-contact sports since the amount of protective gear is often reduced, and the techniques are executed at full power.

Makes Chess much more interesting :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein