We only talk about Fallout

Fenghuang

How about Eye shots?  Groin shots? Brain shots?  And so forth.  Besides it is supposedly be a CRPG and not a FPS game.

Aim for the groin and you hit the groin. Not particularly hard.

And for the "eyes" and "brain". If you shoot someone in the head, both his eyes and his brains are going to come flying out, no matter what. To be able to shoot someone in the eyes to blind him is so incredibly stupid it hurts.

I don't know how many times I've tried to explain to you: CRPG does not automatically mean isometric view. A CRPG is still a CRPG in first person view. It's still a CRPG even if the combat lends elements from the FPS genre. It's just more interactive.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Called shots in FO were just a workaround because you couldn't actually aim for and do body specific damage on the actual avatars.

I would far prefer eliminating "Called Shots" and as mkreku puts it actually aim for the groin on the avatar if you want to hit the groin on the avatar. Heck of a lot less static as far as gameplay goes.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Of course KOTOR was turn-based! Didn't you guys notice the whole "Feedback" section in the pause menu where you could actually check out what happened in the last battle?

"Wow, what happened there, it was all a blur!"

*Checks feedback -

"Oh, looks like I missed with all three attacks of my flurry, then that dude rolled a 20 to hit me with a critical strike PLUS I failed my fortitude saving throw. That stunned me so I missed my turn and then he nailed me with an Improved Power Attack hitting with 41 versus my defense of 21, resulting in a crapload of damage. Looks like I got owned."

KOTOR was turn-based, it just played flashy animations to make it look like the characters were fighting in real-time. AND Bio/OBS even incorporated a "autopause-after-each-turn" option for the old-fashioned gamers who each battle to take 15 minutes. I never used it, because I prefer to pause on my own to assign actions, but it was there.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

But now it's 2006. Please stay away from TB combat, devs!

There's nothing wrong with having a mix of both. Either, if done properly can be fun.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

KOTOR was, in fact, turn-based combat. If it was real-time combat, you'd throw a power attack when you pressed the button. But instead, you press it and then wait your turn. That's pretty ****ty real-time combat.

Yes it was.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

How about Eye shots?  Groin shots? Brain shots?  And so forth.  Besides it is supposedly be a CRPG and not a FPS game.

And for the "eyes" and "brain". If you shoot someone in the head, both his eyes and his brains are going to come flying out, no matter what. To be able to shoot someone in the eyes to blind him is so incredibly stupid it hurts.

I don't know how many times I've tried to explain to you: CRPG does not automatically mean isometric view. A CRPG is still a CRPG in first person view. It's still a CRPG even if the combat lends elements from the FPS genre. It's just more interactive.

Haha, the eye shots were goofy.

Of course KOTOR was turn-based! Didn't you guys notice the whole "Feedback" section in the pause menu where you could actually check out what happened in the last battle?

"Wow, what happened there, it was all a blur!"

*Checks feedback -

"Oh, looks like I missed with all three attacks of my flurry, then that dude rolled a 20 to hit me with a critical strike PLUS I failed my fortitude saving throw. That stunned me so I missed my turn and then he nailed me with an Improved Power Attack hitting with 41 versus my defense of 21, resulting in a crapload of damage. Looks like I got owned."

KOTOR was turn-based, it just played flashy animations to make it look like the characters were fighting in real-time. AND Bio/OBS even incorporated a "autopause-after-each-turn" option for the old-fashioned gamers who each battle to take 15 minutes. I never used it, because I prefer to pause on my own to assign actions, but it was there.

Bingo.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I love love LOVE the tb combat of games like Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm and the Front Mission series. The tb combat of Fallout, however, poo.

Well... Yeah. No big surprise. Shoot. There's just so goddamn more you can do with turnbased than Fallout's rudimentary system. I didn't even know this was still up for discussion.

The man is back.

And shooting people in the groin never gets old. Neither does crushing a power armour with your fist.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The man is back.

I always saw myself as more of a fatty transexual whose sex changing operation went horribly wrong, but 'man' would suffice I guess. Equally disturbing to my psyche. And back is pretty relative.

And shooting people in the groin never gets old. Neither does crushing a power armour with your fist.

Of course, but it's possible to do it in so many and better ways.

The Portuguese are everywhere!! (w00t)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It wasn't turn base. It wasn't real time.

Oh? What was it mr fountain of information?

Haha, the eye shots were goofy.

Concerning Fallout so were the witty dialogues after doing a called shot. :)

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

"Oh? What was it mr fountain of information?"

Real time with pause, phased based, sphaghetti with cheeseballs. Anything but real time or turn base. All one needs to know is that it isn't fully either of those so to refer to the IE/NWN/KOTOR type combat as either turn base or real time is at best a falalcy, or at worst, a lie.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not all games are real time, just like not all games are turn based. :)

Everyone has their preferences. :)

But Fallout's combat system still sucks.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

"Oh? What was it mr fountain of information?"

Real time with pause, phased based, sphaghetti with cheeseballs. Anything but real time or turn base. All one needs to know is that it isn't fully either of those so to refer to the IE/NWN/KOTOR type combat as either turn base or real time is at best a falalcy, or at worst, a lie.

Either way its good.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.