Bioshock - first public footage

Llyranor

No PC?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Looks pretty sweet.

[Edit: comment removed to be consistant with the thread trimming - Sorry for the inconvenience kirottu :) ]

Edited by Darque

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

The atmosphere looks fantastic, and water is beautiful, although it's crying out for real water physics (as you walk about you get water on your boots, if you kick things around the water splashes, water goes to the lowest area, etc). Don't know if they have any phsyics, but couldn't see any in the video.

Another thing is that the framerate definitely seemed more like 15-20 in many areas, especially with fire / water effects, rather than the standard 30. It's still early on, though.

It looks very good so far. A bit annoying that the gun has to be that big though. I don't like it when the bottom right 25% of the screen is covered by an ugly gun model. The voice acting sounded excellent though. Loved the little girl and the screams from the splicer (I think it was called.. something that looked like a woman and crawled on the ceiling).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I watched about half then got bored. Nothing in there I haven't seen before. Up to the point I watched it was turrets, security cameras, security bots, patches, hack, run, fight. Absolutely nothing original. That was a video aimed at kids who don't realize this has all been done before.

The AI bit was interesting but until I see it in non-dev-controlled environement it doesn't mean much.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't care if it's been done before, as long as it's done better I'm satisfied.

But I agree. It felt like a fancier version of System Shock 2. With water.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I don't care if it's been done before, as long as it's done better I'm satisfied.

I agree. I'm not saying it won't be a good game, just that its not particularly new or innovative from a gameplay style, which is what Levine seems to be pimping it as. I mean, he should be at least giving a little credit to System Shock and Looking Glass since hs is ripping them off so badly.

But yeah, its not a question of being original that makes a game fun anyway. Its a matter of redoing old things in a slightly new and better way. SO here's hoping Bioshock accomplsihes that.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.