Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Windows Vista for Gamers

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I've always prefered Gnome over KDE, simply because it appears to be more consistent. Dunno if that even made sense. I just like it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I prefer Dwarf. Gnomes are silly.

Wistrik

Wistrik

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 560 posts
I'm posting here because it seems most relevant.

Anandtech did some research and found that Vista is using more application memory based on how much memory the video card has, while XP remains virtually unchanged and using much less memory. This causes resource-heavy games to reach a Vista system's memory limit far sooner than they would (assuming they ever did) on an XP system.

I'm so glad I didn't jump on the Vista bandwagon. I may still avoid it entirely and wait to see what "Vienna" is all about. I'd also like to see the 2Gb app memory limit removed or increased.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
A Windows CONFIG.SYS HIMEM command? :sorcerer:

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

I think it is a perfect time to switch to Ubuntu.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree.

I am becoming increasaingly irate with the boot time of my laptop with XP.

have you looked at the MSCONFIG.EXE startup subcategory to see what programs run on startup?

Note: For those interested you can check MSCONFIG.EXE by clicking START >RUN > type MSCONFIG.EXE and click OK.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
I've got System Mechanic Pro 6.0 (partially) installed (I had to disable the anti-hacker application as it kept crashing NwN2), so I can customise the boot process with a high degree of granularity and control.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
Im getting increasingly frustrated over the lack of a proper workstation OS. As it is now, the only option for serious 3D work is WinXP64(32bit systems cannot use more than 4gb of RAM) and even then there's a whole bunch of necessary applications that will only run on WinXp32.

• Vista is utter sh*t. It an unbelievable system hog filled with bloatware that take up space and resources. Most apps wont work at all and those who do are slow and unstable
  • Linux would be the best option but most programs like Zbrush isnt available for Linux, those that have a Linux dist like XSI each demand different distributions to work
  • Xp32 is a system hog compared to Unix-based systems and can only use 3.5gb of RAM
  • XP64 is slow compared to linux and isnt supported by most apps
  • MacOS isnt supported by most apps and also.. it's friggin Apple.. yuck!

thepixiesrock

thepixiesrock

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3694 posts
On my Vista, Empire at War, Freelancer, and NWN2, all work great, (except I have to turn down all the graphics settings to their lowest settings for NWN2), but Knights of the Old Republic isn't working very good. I can get all the way through Taris fine, but once I get to Dantooine it's completely unplayable because of how horribly laggy it is. I'll start walking, but I won't move, so I take my hand of the key, and then a second later all be all the way on the other side of the map. I've turned all the raphic settings to thei lowest and it's the same. It really bothers me.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
Why are you even running Vista? The only reason would be if you were playing a Dx10 game, which you're not.

thepixiesrock

thepixiesrock

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3694 posts
Because it came on my laptop, and the computer I'm on right now can't handle games with it's 6MB graphics card and 9GB's of space.

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5240 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Because it came on my laptop, and the computer I'm on right now can't handle games with it's 6MB graphics card and 9GB's of space.

In Soviet Russia, Windows Vista owns YOU!

(It does in a weird, funny way. You don't own your copy, you own a license for Vista to operate on your computer + it is the most paranoid system ever. It doesn't trust anything from the internet or other external media, it hates you for changing hardware and it spies on you to make sure that you don't do anything funny. It simply hates.your.guts.)

Have a nice day :)

Edited by Meshugger, 24 July 2007 - 10:05 PM.

Musopticon?

Musopticon?

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8956 posts
  • Location:What the Bircarli once called their own, spires of soot, flatlands of silver, sky afire
Is there a way to replace Vista within a laptop system or, as in all likelihood, run a separate OS over it, or is the integration impossible to circumvent? I'm getting a laptop once I move to my own apartment cell, since I don't own the computer I use at home and can't take it with me for space reasons, and that laptop obviously has Vista. I would like to play Alpha Centauri and King of Dragon Pass on it eventually, not to mention my old companion, Thief 2. Leaving the modscene because software hates me is something I'd like to avoid.

Edited by Musopticon?, 25 July 2007 - 01:22 PM.

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2172 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
As far as I know you can always format and install another operative system on a laptop as well. You just need to get an install disc separately. My laptop came with XP, but it's a crappy version (with a lot of junk pre-installed) so I've stopped using the rescue disc and just do clean installs with a better version when I feel the need. Don't see why newer laptops should be any different.

Musopticon?

Musopticon?

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8956 posts
  • Location:What the Bircarli once called their own, spires of soot, flatlands of silver, sky afire
Good, thanks.

thepixiesrock

thepixiesrock

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3694 posts
Answer my prayer now babe (answer his pray)

Arkan

Arkan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2441 posts

As far as I know you can always format and install another operative system on a laptop as well. You just need to get an install disc separately. My laptop came with XP, but it's a crappy version (with a lot of junk pre-installed) so I've stopped using the rescue disc and just do clean installs with a better version when I feel the need. Don't see why newer laptops should be any different.

I've heard that vista machines are different in this respect...not sure how...just what I heard.

St_Jimmy

St_Jimmy

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 38 posts

In Soviet Russia, Windows Vista owns YOU!

(It does in a weird, funny way. You don't own your copy, you own a license for Vista to operate on your computer + it is the most paranoid system ever. It doesn't trust anything from the internet or other external media, it hates you for changing hardware and it spies on you to make sure that you don't do anything funny. It simply hates.your.guts.)

Have a nice day :)

That really made me lol because it is so true. I just disable all of those annoying little things.

They're more in tune with: "Are you sure you want to start word?" "Are you really super duper sure you want to start word?" "You know, if you start word, you might start typing something really weird, and you shouldn't waste your time." "Why don't you lie down?"

Honestly Vista is starting to make me think of HAL 9000 ; )

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6449 posts
I think Vista UAC is good in that it absolutely eliminates any chance of crapware being snuck on to your PC. However I had to disable it because of driver issues and what not.

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

I think Vista UAC is good in that it absolutely eliminates any chance of crapware being snuck on to your PC. However I had to disable it because of driver issues and what not.

You underestimate the stupidity of your average computer user.

St_Jimmy

St_Jimmy

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 38 posts

And of mankind itself.

Arkan

Arkan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2441 posts

Hell, XP is pretty safe if you're not a complete idiot about what you do with your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users