Windows Vista for Gamers

Fionavar

I remain pretty much convinced I am skipping Vista fwiiw ...

The best thing you could ever do. My parents bought a new computer with Vista and in my opinion it sucks. I'll stick with WinXP Pro.

I don't know if it is an improvement over Vista or not, but Windows Vienna (current code name) is approx. two years away. I think that Vista is to the NT family what ME was to the 95 family, i.e. best forgotten :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well its a huge improvement, I think, to my parents old computer which has Win95. Too bad Vista is not that great. After reading the various magazines that were hyping it up as it was in production, only to be let down by its MEness.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I don't know whatt he problem is. If you just don't read any of the reviews or hype for Vista, and if you've used ME exclusively for the past seven years like me, Vista is great! Look, a 3D veiw of the windows you have open! Wonders truly never cease.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I would have considered purchasing it if they finally implemented touch attacks applying sneak attacks.

Wait, wrong thread. Same idea, though. If they had implemented features that target my interests. Batch file renaming, skinning, that issue where if you change your resolution then change it back your icons go all over the place. Most important would have been streamlining and lowering the OS's default footprint.

Customization

Organization

Performance

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Kaftan's wonderful Vista feature list:

• takes several minutes to bootup/reboot
  • requires twice the memory of XP just to idle
  • is incompatible with a wide range of proffessional applications
  • makes compatible software run like ****
  • Has more features than anyone would ever need or want
  • Is realli pretty

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Hey, you're in luck!

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

My wish for a Windows OS would be Windows Pure ©: an empty, tiny OS that runs applications only. Nothing else.

Let me choose my browser. Let me choose my firewall. Let me choose my file manager. Let me chose my music player.

STOP SHOVING YOUR **** DOWN MY THROAT, MICROSOFT!! I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOUR BLOATWARE!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 2 weeks later...

The only guy I know who actually uses Vista and loves it, just switched to XP because of an accident(it crashed and refused to validate his serial when he tried to reinstall) and lo and behold.. today he tells me he noticed 7zip now takes only half the time to compress the same amount of data as with Vista. And he can finally watch videos without getting seasick from the lag.

-And everything else goes faster too, its like; Woosh!!

-I told you so.

-Well yeah.. but.. I dont really need it to go that fast anyway.

-Yes, you do.

-No, I dont.

-You totally do.

-No, I dont and I also know which forums you frequent and if you write in any fo them about this Im going to kill you.

-Phh, you know me. I would never make fun of my friends on public forums.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

• 1 month later...
Vista running great and stable here and I'll never go back to XP. Drivers have come a real long way since release and many of the games I tried run like they did in XP

Hmm..

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/11/19/...-experts_1.html

With Crysis out, I'm tempted. But it's such a horribly un-optimized system hog that I just can't take the leap yet. I'm hoping SOMETHING comes along that forces me to "upgrade", eventually.

With Crysis out, I'm tempted. But it's such a horribly un-optimized system hog that I just can't take the leap yet. I'm hoping SOMETHING comes along that forces me to "upgrade", eventually.

Something like you computer does a complete and total meltdown destroying the CPU, Motherboard, hard drives, and any cards you have plugged in, not alone the memory, and your significant other accidently snaps your XP install disc in half?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Yes.. and that someone would slip on the pavement outside and accidentally lob his Vista Ultimate into my (new) DVD drive, that would then autostart the install process and refuse to abort, even if I pulled the plug. Also, it would have to quickly develop some sort of energy shield to withstand the shotgun blast I would be imposing on it within minutes.

It could happen..

All you really need is Home Premium.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Meh, why is it always a choice between two versions of windows. Unreal tournament came out for Linux as well, if more big publishers did that we could spend our time trying to get drivers to work and the thing to install propperly rather than complain about windows, best of all it wouldn't cost anything.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Meh, why is it always a choice between two versions of windows. Unreal tournament came out for Linux as well, if more big publishers did that we could spend our time trying to get drivers to work and the thing to install propperly rather than complain about windows, best of all it wouldn't cost anything.

Hippy :lol: