Windows Vista for Gamers

Fionavar

Im getting increasingly frustrated over the lack of a proper workstation OS. As it is now, the only option for serious 3D work is WinXP64(32bit systems cannot use more than 4gb of RAM) and even then there's a whole bunch of necessary applications that will only run on WinXp32.

• Vista is utter sh*t. It an unbelievable system hog filled with bloatware that take up space and resources. Most apps wont work at all and those who do are slow and unstable
  • Linux would be the best option but most programs like Zbrush isnt available for Linux, those that have a Linux dist like XSI each demand different distributions to work
  • Xp32 is a system hog compared to Unix-based systems and can only use 3.5gb of RAM
  • XP64 is slow compared to linux and isnt supported by most apps
  • MacOS isnt supported by most apps and also.. it's friggin Apple.. yuck!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

On my Vista, Empire at War, Freelancer, and NWN2, all work great, (except I have to turn down all the graphics settings to their lowest settings for NWN2), but Knights of the Old Republic isn't working very good. I can get all the way through Taris fine, but once I get to Dantooine it's completely unplayable because of how horribly laggy it is. I'll start walking, but I won't move, so I take my hand of the key, and then a second later all be all the way on the other side of the map. I've turned all the raphic settings to thei lowest and it's the same. It really bothers me.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Why are you even running Vista? The only reason would be if you were playing a Dx10 game, which you're not.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Because it came on my laptop, and the computer I'm on right now can't handle games with it's 6MB graphics card and 9GB's of space.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Because it came on my laptop, and the computer I'm on right now can't handle games with it's 6MB graphics card and 9GB's of space.

In Soviet Russia, Windows Vista owns YOU!

(It does in a weird, funny way. You don't own your copy, you own a license for Vista to operate on your computer + it is the most paranoid system ever. It doesn't trust anything from the internet or other external media, it hates you for changing hardware and it spies on you to make sure that you don't do anything funny. It simply hates.your.guts.)

Have a nice day :)

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Is there a way to replace Vista within a laptop system or, as in all likelihood, run a separate OS over it, or is the integration impossible to circumvent? I'm getting a laptop once I move to my own apartment cell, since I don't own the computer I use at home and can't take it with me for space reasons, and that laptop obviously has Vista. I would like to play Alpha Centauri and King of Dragon Pass on it eventually, not to mention my old companion, Thief 2. Leaving the modscene because software hates me is something I'd like to avoid.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

As far as I know you can always format and install another operative system on a laptop as well. You just need to get an install disc separately. My laptop came with XP, but it's a crappy version (with a lot of junk pre-installed) so I've stopped using the rescue disc and just do clean installs with a better version when I feel the need. Don't see why newer laptops should be any different.

Good, thanks.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Answer my prayer now babe (answer his pray)

As far as I know you can always format and install another operative system on a laptop as well. You just need to get an install disc separately. My laptop came with XP, but it's a crappy version (with a lot of junk pre-installed) so I've stopped using the rescue disc and just do clean installs with a better version when I feel the need. Don't see why newer laptops should be any different.

I've heard that vista machines are different in this respect...not sure how...just what I heard.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

• 2 weeks later...

In Soviet Russia, Windows Vista owns YOU!

(It does in a weird, funny way. You don't own your copy, you own a license for Vista to operate on your computer + it is the most paranoid system ever. It doesn't trust anything from the internet or other external media, it hates you for changing hardware and it spies on you to make sure that you don't do anything funny. It simply hates.your.guts.)

Have a nice day :)

That really made me lol because it is so true. I just disable all of those annoying little things.

They're more in tune with: "Are you sure you want to start word?" "Are you really super duper sure you want to start word?" "You know, if you start word, you might start typing something really weird, and you shouldn't waste your time." "Why don't you lie down?"

Honestly Vista is starting to make me think of HAL 9000 ; )

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.

- John Lennon

I think Vista UAC is good in that it absolutely eliminates any chance of crapware being snuck on to your PC. However I had to disable it because of driver issues and what not.

You underestimate the stupidity of your average computer user.

I think Vista UAC is good in that it absolutely eliminates any chance of crapware being snuck on to your PC. However I had to disable it because of driver issues and what not.

And of mankind itself.

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.

- John Lennon

Hell, XP is pretty safe if you're not a complete idiot about what you do with your computer.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

• 3 weeks later...

I just replaced Vista Bussiness with good ol XP on my nw laptop and the performance increase is clearly notiecable, not to mention that all my software will work correctly now. :verymad:

I would not recommend anyone to run Vista for any reason.

You can also install PCDecrapifier to get rid of the bulk. But a clean install of just the operating system is best! :verymad:

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

New laptops with the SantaRosa chipset are much more difficult to install XP on. The only way youre even going to be able to get Xp to detect your hardrives is to slipstream the SATA drivers into an Xp *.iso and if you succeed with that you still have to do alot of detective work to find drivers which may need to be converted before theyre useable.

I do have one friend who loves Vista, and he knows more about computers than I do. He's a programmer so he doesnt use the computer for anything else than Visual Studio and watching films. I would think the computer compiles slower with Vista(as it renders 3D slower) but he claims it doesnt.

I know only two things of Vista that I care about.

1) There's only one feature of Vista that I'm interested in. The one that enables graphics drivers to run (and crash) like user apps. IE, without taking the whole system with them.

2) If that's the only feature of Vista that I'm interested in, Microsoft did crap for consumer research in regards to my demographic.

Maybe Vista has another feature I'm interested in. Anyone here know if lowering your desktop resolution then raising it back restores your old icon locations?

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I was just watching film at my friends place. It lags and stutters because of Vista cant handle older ATI cards

We dont really know what it is, we think its a driver issue but it doesnt work with any currently released ATI-Vista drivers.

Other fun Vista perks: if you try to paint using a tablet in Photoshop, the brush will lag even on an Intel C2D 2gHz with 2gb of DDR2 RAM :shifty:

I remain pretty much convinced I am skipping Vista fwiiw ...

The best thing you could ever do. My parents bought a new computer with Vista and in my opinion it sucks. I'll stick with WinXP Pro.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester