Windows Vista for Gamers

Fionavar

Windows Vista for Gamers: Graphics Card Performance Preview

I enjoyed this article and I thought this observation was telling indeed:

As soon as games that demand WGF support to run appear, the transition of gaming platforms to Windows Vista will be inevitable. But so far, Windows XP is the main OS for gaming platforms and will remain such for quite a long while yet.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Gamespot had a feature awhile back about running old games on Vista. I remember Fallout 2 worked fine, but none of the Infinity engine games they ran worked.

I'ma go find it.

*edit - Found it. Looks like my initial summary was a little off.

Edited by Pop

PC format did a prognosticating preview a few months ago; their assessment was that until the developers start developing games that use the new DirectX10-compatible (i.e. Shader Model 4 and up), which won't happen until Windows Vista is a significant proportion of the OS installed base, then Windows Vista will just be a nice-to-have.

In other words, Windows Vista won't be necessary until everyone has it. (Which is sort of a catch-22, except that people will upgrade for other reasons.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I thought the observation around OEM adoption was interesting. I just read another article on the sales that are occurring now and the concern that the market in most western countries is pretty saturated and that the irony is that Vista may have better penetration in countries such as India & China!

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Thank goodness - ME is an evil plague on the face of the earth :(

I have had no end in supporting clients who have yet to migrate to XP. The rationale that it is paid for, seems to trump 'it's no longer supported and continues to cost you by having me here.'

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Hahaha. Whatever, keeps you busy I guess.

In both Windows 98 and Windows XP, I was slow to make the transition myself.

I used Windows 95 at least until Windows 98 SE came out (since i never used non second edition win98). And I know I had Windows 98 SE still installed when I moved into the city just over 3 years ago, so that'd put me into 2003. Once I started having issues with Win98 not really being supported, whether it be via drivers or applications, is when I made the transition.

Ive switched to the new Windows within a month of release since Win95 (I liked DOS better) but Im very sceptical towards WinVista. I just get the feeling it would be kind of like...

45.3 Gb of nonregistered media content located on drive G. Now deleting files, initiating hardware destruct sequence and filing automatic rapport to the RIAA and FBI. Thankyou for experiencing the new Windows Vista!

(I have a lot of records, I just prefer to have then on my hardrive instead of in big crates I cant fit into this one room apartment)

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I will get vista, but it won't be for atleast a year after initial release, and I'll buy a new system for it. The machine I have now? That will be XP gaming machine, I've decided to not trust compatibility, I have too many games, to be risking them to vista, I was contemplating dual boot but now... I'm certain I will have two seperate machines.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I like something I read a while back about how MS is going to start doing a brand type thing for Windows Vista based games, much like how Playstation and Xbox games have the banner thingy right on the package saying which platform its for, and they're going to start doing marketing campaigns promoting windows as a gaming platform in order to boost PC game sales in general.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Im already running it.. except its Kubuntu :p

(which is Ubuntu with KDE instead of Gnome GUI)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I've always prefered Gnome over KDE, simply because it appears to be more consistent. Dunno if that even made sense. I just like it.

I prefer Dwarf. Gnomes are silly.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 9 months later...

I'm posting here because it seems most relevant.

Anandtech did some research and found that Vista is using more application memory based on how much memory the video card has, while XP remains virtually unchanged and using much less memory. This causes resource-heavy games to reach a Vista system's memory limit far sooner than they would (assuming they ever did) on an XP system.

I'm so glad I didn't jump on the Vista bandwagon. I may still avoid it entirely and wait to see what "Vienna" is all about. I'd also like to see the 2Gb app memory limit removed or increased.

I think it is a perfect time to switch to Ubuntu.

I agree.

I am becoming increasaingly irate with the boot time of my laptop with XP.

have you looked at the MSCONFIG.EXE startup subcategory to see what programs run on startup?

Note: For those interested you can check MSCONFIG.EXE by clicking START >RUN > type MSCONFIG.EXE and click OK.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig