OMG! Skynet's time has come!

kumquatq3

First bionic woman can feel it when people shake her prosthetic hand

CHICAGO (AFP) - It's the stuff of science fiction: a prosthetic arm that can be moved just by thinking about it and that can feel heat and the pressure of a handshake.

It became a reality for US Marine Claudia Mitchell two years after she lost her arm to a motorcycle, researchers said last week.

The bionic arm is controlled by rerouting nerves in Mitchell's shoulder to healthy muscles in her chest. This targeted muscle reinnervation directs the signals once sent to the amputated arm to the robotic arm via surface electrodes that respond to Mitchell's thoughts.

"Before the surgery, I doubted that I would ever be able to get my life back," said the 26-year-old Mitchell, who has become the world's first bionic woman.

"But this arm and the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago have allowed me to return to a life that is more rewarding and active than I ever could have imagined," she said. "I am happy, confident and independent."

The first major advancement in prosthetics since World War II, the bionic arm allows amputees a significantly higher level of functionality. They can open jars, reach up to high shelves and dress themselves with more ease.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060918/hl_af...ic_060918132319

OMGZ!@!@ We need to rip it off and throw it into a pool of molten magma! It's the only way! Come with me if you want to live!

Also, on a semi related note, I can't wait for Ron Jeremy to die

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060919/ap_on_...enis_transplant

Now, we finally have the means to fight back against the aliens.

Seriously though, this is important work being done. Especially for amputees whose limbs were destroyed above the elbow / knee joint, regular prosthetics are difficult to utilize.

My mom's high school b/f is now working on a bionic eye at Los Alamos :) Wonder how that's coming along.

Anyways, I thought this was really cool, makes me think that "power armor" you can feel might be otw

For your info 'power armour' is already in research for couple of years now...ok it's not excatly called like that, but it's a similar concept...

Edited by Hildegard

This is the side of science that I like.

I wonder about the feeling heat part mentioned in the blurb when you enlarge the photo...ie, does it produce enough sensation for her to notice then pull away from a heat source, or is it more of a technical 'heat feeling' at this point.

Great thing tho...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have  a friend who could use a bionic eyes.  The optic nerves leading out of the socket has degenerated over the years making him more blind as the time goes on.

Every eye will suffer from macro degeneration eventually, if not prevented by another (less common) malady or the death of the person. It is unavoidable. So a new eye is a great idea.

A friend of mine (a lifetime smoker) if waiting for them to perfect cybernetic lungs. Also, owing to a skiing accident a decade ago, he is awaiting a bionic hand.

:thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Cybernetic humans.  :shifty:  I would like to see technology get embedded into humans. Make us stronger, quicker and smarter.

This is the next step to immortality. Eventually we will no longer need a body. Just something to send messages to our brains... The trick is to make our brain last longer.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Cybernetic humans.  :shifty:  I would like to see technology get embedded into humans. Make us stronger, quicker and smarter.

This is the next step to immortality. Eventually we will no longer need a body. Just something to send messages to our brains... The trick is to make our brain last longer.

I believe we can find a solution by carefully watching Futurama...

Cybernetic implants, I'll take af few if they look really cool. :blink:)

Yeah! I want one in the eyes so I can see in super cool Splinter Cell Night vision mode. And another one that gives me protection against radiation damage and another that gives me a +5 speed bonus when activated.

(w00t)

Cybernetic humans.  :blink:  I would like to see technology get embedded into humans. Make us stronger, quicker and smarter.

We've got to get our inspiration from somewhere. (w00t)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Cybernetic humans.  :thumbsup:  I would like to see technology get embedded into humans. Make us stronger, quicker and smarter.

As long as, ehem, everything is functional. Otherwise, let me die.

0pbf04076bcthemanwithnopenisjt6.gif

I'm all giddy from watching "They're taking the hobbits to Isengard!" on repeat for an hour, but all Is gonna say about this is that I'd totally take a crackjob-looking metal monstrosity to replace my arm than that horrible semi-hand.

A claw goddammit!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Cybernetic humans.  :(  I would like to see technology get embedded into humans. Make us stronger, quicker and smarter.

We've got to get our inspiration from somewhere. (w00t)

Battle angel alita (aka gunmn) what's more human? a brain in a box or a box in a body?

(in the book alot of people are complete cyborgs except for their brain. And several people are complete fleshbags with a computer chip in their heads... they get cloning tech so they get killed every so often and come back to life.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.