Severe and persistent bug!

Ok, I've been trying to run Kotor2 for ages now on my PC, i've tried it on my laptop and my desktop and both have the same problems. At first I could play the game ok, then after a while (say 10-15mins) all character models would suddenly be cast in very dark shadows, and some textures in the environment would become completely black. the controls would go haywire, and the character would just judder on the spot then suddenly appear at the other side of the room. I have to ctrl-alt-delete to get out of it.

I've patched up the game, got the latest graphics and motherboard drivers to no avail. I've also tinkered with the compatibility option in XP to no avail either. Tried a fresh install too and taht didn't work. In fact now my problems have gotten worse, I load a game and it just freezes once the game is loaded (as in I'm in the game not the main menu).

Please can anyone help! last time I ran Kotor 2 reliably was on my old PC running Win ME and even then I had to patch it up to solve a similar problem. My specs:

Asus A8N-E motherboard with AMD X2 4200

nVidia GeForceFX 7800GT 256 Mb RAM

1Gb RAM

Win XP Home

ForceWare 91.47

nForce4 AMD 6.7

anyone get this problem? the weird thing is I have a similar problem when running Kotor 1 and I also get all these problems when running on my laptop! has anyone found a fix for this??

Edited by whistler1984

I had the exact same problem, it was because I had an AMD X2 chip

you need to get the amd Dual core optomizers, you can probably get them off amd website.

After you've installed them the problam should be gone. :)

sweet! thanks, what exactly do these dual core optimisers do? I recently got Comany of Heroes and it said that it required them too but it runs fine without it.

tho oddly it still doesn't explain why it doesn't run on my laptop (which is an Intel Centrino.)