Delayed Again!

You claimed matter of factly that NWN didn't have a demo when in fact it did have a demo. The fact that the demo didn;t come out until after NWN was actually released dooes not change the fact, that in fact, NWN did have a demo? Do you factually understand these facts?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You claimed matter of factly that NWN didn't have a demo when in fact it did have a demo. The fact that the demo didn;t come out until after NWN was actually released dooes not change the fact, that in fact, NWN did have a demo? Do you factually understand these facts?

Yes, and I was wrong. And I admitted I was wrong and asked when it was released. Your point being what? :blink:

I think you are making too much of a big deal of this.

Edited by 6 Foot Invisible Rabbit

Harvey

It's an rpg, why do we need a demo at all?  :huh:

Yeah why have a demo? It would cut the game short.

Why would it do that?

Demos provide people an opportunity to get a 1st hand experience with how the game plays and runs on their system.

Demos usually have the first, second or third levels of a game not the whole. In essence it cuts the game "short".

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

It doesn't cut the game short at all. The amount of content you experience is still the same. It just doesn't get all consumed at the same time.

I played the demo for NWN, and it brought me to the end of the tutorial with the Waterdavian creatures being kidnapped.

Hardly a significant chunk of the game.

Deus Ex's demo completely 100% sold me on the game. People were so clamouring for more that they released an expansion (the second mission) to the demo. I probably played that demo about 40 or 50 times. And in the end, it probably amounted to around 2% of the final game.

But I still didn't experience anything less. And it also discounts the fact that games like Fallout have unique demos, that have nothing to do with the story of the game.

Naturally they don't come with the whole game, because developers aren't really keen on giving all their hard work away for nothing.

Edited by alanschu

Yeah why have a demo? It would cut the game short.

Dunno; have seen some impressive long RPG-demo's so far.

BG2's come to mind (even if it was 0.001% or so from the game), Dungeon Siege 1's 10% demo or the DS2 demo (also a good 5% of the game or so; but still a pretty hefty chunk)

And why NO demo? It lures people into trying and (if fun) buying. If there is no demo the only alternative for a gamer to "test" would be DL'ing the full version

illegally... and while it gives a full cut to the gamer; it gives no cut to the dev :(

Edit; And I am pretty sure there is more desire for a gamer to go out and buy a game if he has played only 5% then when he has already 90%; as he will be forced to play "that same long piece" again upon buying...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The only demo (so far) that totally sold me on a game was the Far Cry first demo. I just couldn't wait to buy the game after playing through that amazing first level. Then they released two more demo's! Gotta love Crytek!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I laughed when Ion Storm released the second demo of Deus Ex. It was just such a foreign concept.

Far Cry's demo made me realise that I needed a new video card, as the Radeon 9500 I had was probably literally running at 0.3 FPS, with hideous graphical artifacting. It was quite clear that the card was not supported ^_^

As for demos affecting purchasing decisions, I'd say I have probably played demos of well over half of the games that I have bought.

And there certainly have been some games that I wouldn't have bought had it not been for the demo.

I routinely download demos, just to try out new games that may have slipped under the radar as well.

Edited by alanschu

Then again Mkreku gets review copy full games :("

Hmm, the Far Cry demo had majorly dissapointed me when I tried it... and made sure I wouldn't go out and buy it...

As for demo influencing buys; like I said before; more often than not.

I would have missed up upon some MAJOR Classics (Majesty and such) was it not for demo releases...

Edit; also it prevented me on some major missbuys I would have made without them...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

They can also provide a fun little aside. I remember playing the demo of some game on Steam that used the Half-Life engine. Shadowgrounds or something, I can't remember.

It was a fun little game. Ultimately not worth buying, but the demo took up an hour or so of my time :(

Shadowgrounds is the top-down alien shooter by the Finnish Frozenbyte. You probably got the demo from Steam, right?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yeah, I played the demo(s) a couple of times, nice switch-off-the-brain-entertainment.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I wouldn't have got into RPGs at all if I hadn't played the IWD demo that had not only the prologue but the whole of the first chapter of the game. I went out and bought the BG and IWD boxsets the next day. I was totally sucked in.

Edited by Jumjalum

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

I don't tend to play demos, personally. I throw caution to the wind and all that I suppose! I don't actually remember the last demo I played...

I used to play more demos back on the Amiga.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein