Armee Troika

Walsingham

I'm currently stuck trying to complete Vampire Bloodlines

lousy gruddamn slug lady. Lousy game not letting me load the jeagerspas with rock salt.

. And was just thinking: what the hell happened to all the bright talented chaps who made this now that Troika sank without trace?

And for that matter, why did they sink?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

They sunk because they had games that had more bugs than your mum's.....eh, nevermind... You get the point.

What happened to them? That I don't know.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

There were quite a few reasons, but basically they put all their eggs into the Bloodlines basket, and it sold like somthing that doesn't sell very much.

Cold pancakes?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

No, you guys are all wrong.

Troika went out of business because their games are the most complicated and complex software ever created and publishers didn't know how to market it, and consumers just don't udnersatand them.

They don't have bugs. They have design decisions beyond us 'normals' (not that I'm normal, heh) comprehension.

Hence, they didn't fail; we did.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not sure if this is actually true, but I read sometime ago that Bloodline's engine was buggy before being given to Troika. I mean, they were given a buggy version of the engine to work on in the first place, and they didn't have the right to work out the bugs before Half-Life 2 shipped. The bugs are totally not Troika's fault if that is indeed the case.

Not sure if this is actually true, but I read sometime ago that Bloodline's engine was buggy before being given to Troika. I mean, they were given a buggy version of the engine to work on in the first place, and they didn't have the right to work out the bugs before Half-Life 2 shipped. The bugs are totally not Troika's fault if that is indeed the case.

That's not quite true. Valve finished Source in Summer 2002, that's what Gabe said, and that's the version Troika got.

While not perfectly optimizied, I wouldn't say it was buggy. I think Troika just didn't quite understand how to use it properly (from 2D to 3D is always a hard transation the first time).

They also ripped out the native sound-system (made it with Miles instead of using Valves rocket-solid sound-system), and had to do alterations with the scripting (they used an outdated version of Python...hence some broken Quests I presume?).

Also, from what I've observed, the Leveldesign was sloppy (see 2D to 3D transition). Like Santa Monica, where the upper part and the Sewers where one single map, therefor the choppy framerates.

On top of that, I didn't quite get the feeling Troika since then had any contact with Valve for updates/technical support whatsoever. Activision didn't seem to care about it either.

While those are factors that had to seen into consideration, it's not an excuse Troika messed up the last third of the game (messy dumb action). That's clearly a sign of sloppiness. And that for a game that was supposed to come out in Summer 2004....they had enough time to fix that, instead they just sat on it waiting till HL2 was released.

That's just too bad. Troika was sloppy and Activision didn't care about it's own product too much. :devil: It was a dead born child.

I enjoyed both Arcanum and VtM: Bloodlines very very much. They're one of the few RPGs that gave me the same amount of enjoyment and satisfaction as such greats as Fallout and Baldurs Gate games. I'm very sad that Troika is not around any more to make more such games.

I enjoyed, and liked both Arcanum, and BL myself despite their fualts. I didn't care for TOEE though it had some good qulaities as well. However, I am NOT sadden by their collapse. They brought it upon themselves.

I enjoyed and still enjoys all three troika's games, Arcanum is the best however. I hate those publishers who didnt want to fund their 4 game which was going to be a Post Apocalyptic RPG, the spiritual succersor to fallout.

And what happened to Troikians? I've heard that Tim Cain is now is now doing something not connected to games industry (some financial things? i don't remember), Leonard Boyarsky is now working for Blizzard, but i don't know what Jason Anderson is doing.

Hence, they didn't fail; we did.

We'll you're right about one thing. We did make them fail. We are all to blame :)

They didn't fail as game developers. My guess is they had a bad business model and weren't meeting sales expectations. From what I remember, they didn't have a really good business team in place. They didn't get good publishing deals and they weren't realistic about the RPG market.

"I hate those publishers who didnt want to fund their 4 game which was going to be a Post Apocalyptic RPG, the spiritual succersor to fallout."

I hate developers who can't convince any publisher to publish their game. You have to be rather poor negotiators to not be able to convince someone to give you another shot.

Then again, 3 different publishers, basically the same result. Now wonder publishers were done giving the 'makers of FO' a break.

"We'll you're right about one thing. We did make them fail. We are all to blame"

Nope. There's only one group of people responsible for Troika's success or fialure, and that's Troika.

"They didn't fail as game developers."

Sure, they did. 3 different games, 3 different publishers, 3 different styles of RPG, 3 different 'failures'.

They could not make a quality game that was also successful enough to warrant them developing more games. That's failure no matter how you cut it.

Edited by Volourn

There were quite a few reasons, but basically they put all their eggs into the Bloodlines basket, and it sold like somthing that doesn't sell very much.

... On a poor sales day.

They didn't fail as game developers.

Every game the made failed at some core point: story, combat or poorly balanced and each game was buggy on release. They definately had vision, but they never did get all the pieces to fit together. I

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I hate developers who can't convince any publisher to publish their game. You have to be rather poor negotiators to not be able to convince someone to give you another shot.

We don't know anything about the situation back then.There could've been many problems, for example the most of publishing companies, are expecting some Elves, boobies,standrard Fantasy ****world with manga stylized graphics, as a big attidue and on Xbox 360 of course, not Dark Post Apocalyptic Hard Core RPG on PC.

Welcome to this brave new world, of EA and XBox ...

All your crpg are belong to us...

:echo: MUHHAHAHAHA! :echo:

I hate EA they bought some great franchises (Ultima, Dungeon Keeper, Populous, Syndicate) just to screw them up, or ignore.

Ea is the biggest Bad Guy in computer gaming market, it has the style of Sauron from LOTR or Crimsong King from The Dark Tower, screw things just to screw them(cancelling Dungeon Keeper 3 after the big succes of DK2, and firing almost whole team of Bullfrog? So Why the (Big)F they've bought this company?)