Witch's Wake

Blank

I just finished playing the NWN "premium module" called "Witch's Wake". It came with the package when I picked up NWN for the first time a few months ago. You could say this is a retelling of my experience with the module. I recommend that you stop reading now, unless you are bored and have nothing else to do; my writing is ill-composed and not especially entertaining.

Spoilers are below, so if you plan on playing it and haven't, you probably shouldn't read, but if you don't care, go ahead. I just feel like telling almost every single thing that happened.

The game starts you off in an arctic battlefield where you suddenly hear the voice of a nice narrator lady (you'll be hearing a lot of her voice throughout the game, as nearly everything is narrated by her). She explains what your senses are experiencing and how you notice a guy who is hanging a few feet above the ground on a pike. He's not really dead yet, so it must hurt. I walk over and it ends up that he is a prince and I was a part of his army, and we are in a huge battlefield. He dies and leaves me with the parting words, "Tell the king that she's dead."

It turns out that I have amnesia. Surprise. That's a very common plot device with these types of things, but it actually ended up working for the story's benefit in my eyes. I wandered around and looted bodies and made money by giving junk to some old lady that gave me money for looting the bodies for her.

I left the battlefield and went where the game took me. I ended up in a cemetary and met this "old hag" who was actually a young, nice looking hag. There was a tombstone with my name on it that I saw when I entered her cave thing, which was weird, but in the conversation with her I chose the stuff that said it was nice and that she did a good job making it. She was proud of it. Then she wanted to tarot-card me, and I politely declined. She said it was very important but she couldn't force it on me. I said I would stick to my first choice. So she tells me to go in search for the "Cardovinha stone" or whatever, and that if I did that, I wouldn't fail. Or something like that.

So I travel through kobold tribes and goblin tribes and zombies and I get to a town of dwarves. They aren't particularly mean or nice, and I find out through different means that the Cardovinha stone draws water near it and is like their relic. I try and find it by going in a well and end up barging in on the town ruler's meeting. They think I was there to try and steal the stone (I guess I was). It is lost at the moment though, is what I picked up from before. So they throw me into a mine where they threw another one of my buddies.

I fight through these incredibly deadly rats, and end up finding this guy. He wrote a bunch of stuff on the walls that I read while I was walking through the maze-like mine. He wrote about how he was losing his mind and would write the stuff on the walls to remember it. He seemed to know as much as he wrote when I met up with him, which was that he was a soldier like me in the same army.

He says the army we were in was hunting a witch, and that we had rather cornered her in the region. I tell him the message I'm supposed to tell the king. And he tells me about how he took the Cardovinha stone for some reason he can't remember and how he forgot where he hid it before the dwarves captured him and threw him in the mines. He knows that he did take it and hide it because he wrote that down earlier.

I realize something. The young hag that had me go after the Cardovinha stone also had this guy do the same thing. She was the witch, and had effectively wiped the last of the army out by sending them off to harm the dwarf village which she obviously didn't want to have the stone.

I talk to the elf-man soldier in the mines until it gives me an option to say, "The hag is the witch, isn't she?", which I end up saying and the story ends abruptly with a ghost coming out of the wall and saying, "Battles are fought in the hearts of the soldier." or something corny like that. The dying prince must've been wrong in saying the witch was dead, which is easy for me to believe, since he was dying on a pike when I head him say it. Or maybe he wanted the king, who had a nonsensical vendetta against her, to give up.

"Haha," I said, "Good plot twist, that I just blindly did the enemy hag's bidding, and didn't even do that, because my buddy already did it."

Then I found out that there was supposed to be more to the story when I was looking online. Some kids were saying how they couldn't wait for the second part, and for all the loose ends to be put together. There weren't really any loose ends though.

So I think my interpretation of the game is technically wrong, but the game is complete in my eyes. It's one of those outer limits things. Anyway, it's better than it would've been, because the maker of the mod cancelled any further sequels of the mod a few years ago, so I would've been sad that there wasn't any more.

This post is very wordy and unnecessary, but I already typed it, so whatever: "Post New Topic"

Edit: I forgot to add if I liked or disliked this mod and why.

I like it because the modder made up his own setting and it was pretty in-depth and I wanted to learn more about it. The areas that you travel through during the game are really well-made. The highlight was this forest after the cemetary, and it had light shafts going through it and a lot of greenery and tall trees. It just was well-made. Premium quality for sure. But nothing to buy, simply because it is so short. But I am glad I played it.

Edited by Blank

Yep. WW was released 2-3 years ago as Bartel's personal module, and it was definitely "part 1" - I believe the 'remastered' WW that comes with Kingmaker still has traces of "part 1" comments in it. The module was definitely intended to be a lot longer, once you find out about the hag. I mean, would they really waste all that time on the elaborate resurrection method, and how you can talk to people in those 'cells', to never really use it? Such a short module wouldn't even need a resurrection protocol.

Bio did pull him out of it, and initially there was indignation that Bartel was not allowed to continue a module which many (including myself) felt was of an infinitely higher quality than the OC. HOTU sorta dented that illogical bitterness, but it's still a pity. The only module that really comes close to it in terms of style and skill is ... well, crap. That guy on nwvault, who did Elegia Eternum.

It wasn't worth paying for, yes. It might have been if it was completed. It was probably at least 5-6 parts in original concept.

Wrong.

Only WW was free amongst the PM. They alkso released a bunch of other modules.

Also, no one ever 'bought' Witche's Wake since it was a BONUS mod added to purchasing Shadowguard. On top of that, the free version misses out on all the extras the PM version has.

Greed? Without the PM, patches would ahve stopped long ago for NWN.

I think its those whining about having to pay $5-$10 for more content made by a BUSINESS who are the greedy ones. Always wnating stuff for free. What is this world coming to where people wnat things just handed to them for nothing.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLIPOP

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wrong.

Blah blah blah

Um no I downloaded it from the Bioware site when it came out thank you very much.

"Bonus" is a scam word for "please buy this product because we're making you think you're getting something for nothing" :)

Like yeah I just paid $10 for that little bonus mission. That plus +3 vorpal sword I got for completing the quest was well worth it. :)

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

"Bonus" is a scam word for "please buy this product because we're making you think you're getting something for nothing"

Hehe. So true. Probably should have used the word 'technically'. Heh.

"Um no I downloaded it from the Bioware site when it came out thank you very much."

Um... And? This doesn't tell me nothing important. This adds nothing.

Edited by Volourn

"Bonus" is a scam word for "please buy this product because we're making you think you're getting something for nothing" 

"Um no I downloaded it from the Bioware site when it came out thank you very much."

WW was available for download when it first came out, not some lame PM that you said. Case closed.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Actually, that's all I'm really hoping for for post-release support. With the income comes the resources and the subsequent patches and content. The supporters get cool new mods, and the freeloaders get regular patches adding free content. Obsidian gets money. Everybody wins.

As long as they're made by Obsidian, I have no qualms about supporting all their mods.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

WW was available for download when it first came out, not some lame PM that you said. Case closed.

It still is. Case closed.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.Detail&id=3702

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Actually, no, he didn't.

Remember, you called BIO 'greedy' for turning WW into PM... yet... Llyr pointed pointed out that WW is still FREE at the vault.

So, how is BIO being greedy with WW!?!