Newsweek "Alternate History"

alanschu

Newsweek online has an article that suggests a "what if" situation for the aftermath of the attack on the World Trade Centre.

You can check it out here

Personally I think it's a bit too utopian.

But as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Edited by alanschu

The fun is in the details.

He is essentially just talking about the results. It's easy to criticize the lack of results, but when you don't really talk about alternative solutions that may have received the results you wanted, then really, what's the point?

I was just sent this recommendation from Amazon.

The Gulf War Did Not Take Place

No one can lack commonsense as much as an intellectual, especially a leftist one, and perhaps most of all a renowned French professor of sociology. To show his brilliance, Baudrillard takes a perfectly obvious fact and devotes a book to proving it wrong. In saying that the Kuwait war "did not take place," he means that the fighting was so lopsided, it did not constitute a war. Brushing aside American fears of heavy casualties, he deems that the war "was won in advance." It was, in his view, "a shameful and pointless hoax, a programmed and melodramatic version of what was the drama of war." From the American point of view, he claims, "no accidents occurred in this war, everything unfolded according to a programmatic order." In all, the events of early 1991 stood in relation to war as computer erotics do to actual sex.

Baudrillard's exceedingly slight essay (a compilation of three articles published in the newspaper Libration) ceaselessly hammers away at these themes. He stands midway between the United States and Iraq, faulting each of these main actors about equally. For him, it is all aesthetics and ideology; the deeply important human, economic, and strategic issues raised by the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait disappear under the weight of his relentless abstraction. Thus unconnected from reality, Baudrillard mangles everything from the French president's name to the number of traffic fatalities in the United States. The result is a book of profound error and transcendent stupidity, the most inane ever reviewed in these pages.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

That newsweek article is almost exactly like this blog community I saw once where people were roleplaying as bloggers in a world where Gore won the election. Like pretty much everything that article talks about Bush doing is what Gore did in this make-believe world.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Newsweek online has an article that suggests a "what if" situation for the aftermath of the attack on the World Trade Centre. 

You can check it out here

Personally I think it's a bit too utopian.

But as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

We should put this down in out text books just so we look better. Horray for propaganda!

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf