The Pope vs. Mohammed

Kaftan Barlast

Muslim anger grows at Pope speech

Pope Benedict XVI in Freising, southern Germany

The Pope's comments came on a visit to Germany

A statement from the Vatican has failed to quell criticism of Pope Benedict XVI from Muslim leaders, after he made a speech about the concept of holy war.

Read the entire article

Alternative views:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/60F...3731B7F66EE.htm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,213923,00.html

Each side, hardcore catholics and muslims, believe the other guys are wicked blashpemers who will burn in hell forever. Yet, one starts to whine when the other makes a tiny remark?

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It's also ironic that many Muslims(extremists) believe the West and pretty much anyone who doesn't believe in the same things they do to be devils bringing only Hell to earth, with a need to eradicate us all because of that belief.

But when one of our religious leaders(well ok, THE Leader) criticises them it's oooooOOooooooOooh. The Vatican even apologizes.

Have Muslim religious leaders ever apologized for calling us Demons of the Underworld?

Religion makes them all completely nuts. Muslims and others alike(extremists that is).

Muslims dont really have supreme lords to speak on their behalf. There is no one person or group of people that can rightly claim to speak on the behalf or all the world's muslims.

Catholics do have that representative. The Pope has a massive responsibility and following, so anything he says has a profound effect. Even though Pope Benedict stressed he was quoting someobody else I am not sure what the intent was of uttering those words.

Having said that, I do agree with Kaftan's point. Its not like the catholics and muslims are best friends anyway.

Edited by Surreptishus

Yeah, its not just the Muslims who have extremist sentiments... In Holland, the SGP (A right wing christian party) actually doesn't allow women to become a member.

Also, they have demonstrated at Madonna concerts since they don't like it that Madonna uses the cross symbol in her concert. Heck... they even filed a lawsuit against her for that concert. Luckily, most people just ignore them :blink:

It is quite funny. You say something insulting about Muhammed (and this even wasn't case this time IMO) and they are ready to blow stuff up. However, you can make fun about Jesus all the day if you want.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Luckily, most people just ignore them :blink:

Luckily? A few is all it takes...

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Each side, hardcore catholics and muslims, believe the other guys are wicked blashpemers who will burn in hell forever. Yet, one starts to whine when the other makes a tiny remark?

Christianity VS Islam!

Stephen & Stephen are correct, why cant we all just get along and blame the Jews like in the good ol days? :blink:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Lare is right on that one. In the Islamic tradition Jesus is one of the great prophets of God but definitely not God. In early Christiandom there were many sects of Christianity who believed just that and did not adhere to the Belief of Jesus = God. Of course when that became the official dogma these sects were definitely disenfranchised by this.

Edited by 6 Foot Invisible Rabbit

Harvey

I think the main fault of very religious people is that they have no sense of humour. I mean, if god created man in his image then he must have one hell of a sense of humour, and would he then mind a few good jokes at his expense?

And furthermore, would Jesus and Mohammed have reached such popularity if they didnt know how to make their followers laugh a little. Jesus probably told more than one "A Pharisee walks into a bar.." joke in his time.

It is quite funny. You say something insulting about Muhammed (and this even wasn't case this time IMO) and they are ready to blow stuff up. However, you can make fun about Jesus all the day if you want.

Not really. Jesus is a second order prophet to the Muslims, as well. To a non-arab nationalist muslim, insulting Jesus is just as heinous as insulting the prophet.

"Jesus is a second order prophet to the Muslims, as well. To a non-arab nationalist muslim, insulting Jesus is just as heinous as insulting the prophet. "

Really? There's no proof of this.

Make fun of Jesus which happens all the time = you never hear a peep from Muslims. Heck, most Christians ignore and laugh at it.

Make fun of Muhammed = guilty of starting holy war. Evidence = the cartoons fiasco

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/15092006/2/worl...-mussolini.html

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The Pope has been quite reluctant to critcise Christian killing of Muslims or even torture or imprisonment without charge.

He has said that Europe should remain Christian. and has discouraged the EU from including Turkey.

Important officials in Denmark, Holland, Austria, France, the UK, Australia, and America and probably other countries too have made comments indicating their disregard for Muslims and their belief that Muslims must conform to local customs. keep in mind that many of these countries have Christian official state religions. They have also passed laws targeting muslim immigration, citizenship and religious practices.

In many countries vast populations of Christians have made public hostile jokes mocking their minority muslim population. The kind of jokes the Germans and Austrians and such used to make about the Jews until they finally dragged them out of their houses and shops and beat them up and sent them off to work as slaves and to be killed.

These behaviors are off base and wrong.

They are continuations of the corrupt hostile attitudes that led to the atrocities of the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Hollacost and others as well.

The Pope is way off base. He needs a dressing down.

Edited by Colrom

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

"Have you read the Quran?"

I'm talking modern times. I'm not talking about books based on long ago events.

Muslims don't go all hostile when Jesus is made fun of, mocked, or insulted even though that's a common occurance.

But, lo and behold, when Muhammed gets insulted, it's HOLY WAR!!!

I think its their own bigotry. Jesus is a tied to the Christian faith so it doesn't bother Muslims that another religion's holy being is being mocked (despite his ties to their own faith).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Chritians make fun of Mohammud to taunt and demean the Muslims.

And then they make fun of the Muslims for getting all powerlessly furious.

And then they make fun of them some more.

And blame it all on them.

Everything is their fault.

We are doing it right here.

And then we pretend to be afraid and we go and kill them.

So how different is this from what we Christians did to the Jews?

It seems the same to me.

We should be ashamed.

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Yeah. I am somewhat Christian too (though not very religious. Heck, I am closer to agnostic than hc-christian) and I laugh at those jokes too.

However, make one joke about Muhammed and you are going to die.

All religions have violent pasts, but it is muslims who nowadays acts mostly in destructive way. I mean, I have never seen Christians marching with guns and placards and shouting death to the muslims in streets.

Yes, I know very conservative christians (Urgh, I hate them) do stuff nearly equal to this (God hates faqs etc.) but you have to admit that averahe muslim is much more religious than average christian. Thus big masses with AK's.

And it is hard core muslims with their Holy War, not christians on crusade.

Also, most muslims (does they have right for it? Yes and no) wants to destroy Israel. Not just few terrorists.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)