WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

kumquatq3

Everytime Nintendo gets something going they shoot themselves in the foot. No $199 system? Fine, at least it comes with a game. No Mario or Metroid? Fine, at least there is a Zelda.

But Launching 2 days AFTER the PS3? = TEH SUCK

As it turns out, the console will arrive on Sunday, November 19, in North America and South America. That puts the console's launch just two days after that of its archrival, the PlayStation 3, which has recently seen its own debut scaled down.

But while only 400,000 PS3s will be available at launch, the Times claims that the Wii will be "far more available in stores this holiday season" than its competitor due to its cheaper and simpler form factor. Nintendo has since announced plans to ship 4 million Wiis worldwide by the end of 2006, nearly double the 2 to 2.3 million shipped PS3s Sony is now forecasting.

As many suspected, the Wii will cost $250 in the US, according to the article. Since Nintendo executives have said it would be under $250, the likely final price will be $249.99 or $249.95. It is now also confirmed that it will have more than 25 first- and third-party games available at launch, with 30 on shelves by the end of the year. First-party games will cost just $50, $10 less than most third-party PS3 and Xbox 360 games; it was unclear what third-party Wii games will cost.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157572.html

http://www.gamespot.com/events/wiilaunch/n...ype=news&page=1

UPDATE: Gamecube version of Twilight Princess pushed to December

Edited by kumquatq3

Really? They suck for launching 2 days after the PS3, which will only have on average 8 consoles per US store (at latest count)? So, all those people planning on spending $600 to get a PS3 and who go down to the store only to learn that, first, the PS3 won't realistically be available for purchase until right before Christmans, and, second, there's an alternative that costs only $250, comes with a game, and has 20 games available for purchase won't decide to go with the better deal?

Some will, some won't, but the PS3 will sure as hell steal a ton of pre-launch hype from Nintendo.

Let's not forget who the last gen market leader is.

EDIT: Also, lets not forget about a XBox360 that doesn't cost much more than a Wii does at $299.99 for a core system.

Edited by kumquatq3

IGN:

September 14, 2006 - Nintendo of America's vice president of marketing and corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan, confirmed to IGN Wii today that its forthcoming Wii console will not play Hollywood DVD movies. The decision to remove the functionality was made in order to deliver the machine at a cheaper cost and because most people today already own DVD players.

Cheaper cost? Yet it is only about $50 less than xbox 360... Hmmm............

Poor little Pee Pee Console. It will get murdered.

Dumb to release it just 2 days after PS3...

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

IGN:
September 14, 2006 - Nintendo of America's vice president of marketing and corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan, confirmed to IGN Wii today that its forthcoming Wii console will not play Hollywood DVD movies. The decision to remove the functionality was made in order to deliver the machine at a cheaper cost and because most people today already own DVD players.

I have to agree, whose house doesn't have a dvd player? they are as common as televisions.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

IGN:

I have to agree, whose house doesn't have a dvd player? they are as common as televisions.

Seriously. Six years ago, when the PS2 was released, it was a big deal to have a DVD player in the PS2. Now? Heck, my grandparents have a DVD player.

$60 for the controller and they're packaging the Wiimote($40) and nunchuck($20) seperately. ****ing ridiculous.

Where are you getting this? From here we're told this:

9:27 am: Here comes the hard info. "One price, one configuration, one color." So there's only a white one (for now), it comes with the nunchaku and so-called "Wiimote" controllers, and it costs ... $249.99! The system will show up at 25,000 retail locations, so it probably won't be too hard to find one--especially since Reggie just promised 4 million units shipped globally by the end of calendar 2006, with the majority share going to North America.

9:29 am: But what's in the box? One Wii remote, one nunchuk both included. Don't forget about Wii Sports, the first pack-in game at launch since the SNES. Speaking of which, we're now seeing a demo of bowling, one of the games included in Wii Sports

Am I misunderstanding what you're trying to say?

Edited by deganawida

He meant for extra controllers.

EDIT: Was referring to the comment made by deganawida.

I can live with the price and everything else, but only one colour? They are doing the same thing that they did with the DS. I want a black console damnit! :)

Edited by Deraldin

Seriously.  Six years ago, when the PS2 was released, it was a big deal to have a DVD player in the PS2.  Now?  Heck, my grandparents have a DVD player.

A couple months ago they told us it would play DVD movies and it would cost less than $250. Now it doesn't play DVDs and it still cost $250.

How, exactly, does this help deliever the system at a "cheaper cost"?

By no means a deal breaker, I guess, but don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.

Seriously.  Six years ago, when the PS2 was released, it was a big deal to have a DVD player in the PS2.  Now?  Heck, my grandparents have a DVD player.

A couple months ago they told us it would play DVD movies and it would cost less than $250. Now it doesn't play DVDs and it still cost $250.

How, exactly, does this help deliever the system at a "cheaper cost"?

By no means a deal breaker, I guess, but don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.

They didn't say it would be less than $250, they said it would not be more than $250. Where did you hear about the DVD playback. I seem to recall hearing something about that but I can't find anything now.

And to be fair, it does come with Wii Sports bundled into the $250 price tag. :)

They didn't say it would be less than $250, they said it would not be more than $250.

Isn't that the same thing? The difference being the second statement would allow for a $250 price exactly?

I seem to recall hearing something about that but I can't find anything now.

Old press release

Edited by kumquatq3

They didn't say it would be less than $250, they said it would not be more than $250.

Isn't that the same thing? The difference being the second statement would allow for a $250 price exactly?

You're right. I guess I would just have different expectations for the two statments. :ermm:

Thanks for the DVD link though.

EDIT: Were you refering to this quote? Because it's the only thing I see there that mentions DVD's.

Two disc formats, one slot: Instead of a tray, a single, innovative, self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. Owners will have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.
Edited by Deraldin

Not to be difficult, but where is the news that the Wii won't support DVD playback coming from? From this article, we're told

Besides the Wii's previously announced DVD playback abilities, the console will also have many multimedia functions, called "Wii channels."
Seriously, is there a link to a reputable article which states that it won't be a feature in the Wii, or has one been posted and I just missed it?

Not to be difficult, but where is the news that the Wii won't support DVD playback coming from?  From this article, we're told
Besides the Wii's previously announced DVD playback abilities, the console will also have many multimedia functions, called "Wii channels."
Seriously, is there a link to a reputable article which states that it won't be a feature in the Wii, or has one been posted and I just missed it?

Well there is this.

Not to be difficult, but where is the news that the Wii won't support DVD playback coming from?  From this article, we're told

Well there is this.

Thanks. Has anymore been said?

I seem to recall hearing something about that but I can't find anything now.

Old press release

Well since you're going to be a stickler for details, $249.99 is less than $250.

It will sell out instantly, and i will buy one aswell. Wii FTW!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy