Anyone seen these shows?

Pope

After gazing aghast at the $90 for 12 episodes price tag, I grudgingly bought ROME. For the price one seems to largely be getting a heavy duty box. Sigh.

Only watched the first 2 episodes so far, but it seems pretty decent. Definitely high production values. Some of the actors stand out, including the young man/boy playing Octavius and the guy playing Caesar. A little slow paced, kinda like most HBO series tend to be imo (they move like the late 70/early 80's mini-series) but so far, seems to me to be a big shame they canceled it. :(

I love Rome and it's history.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Rome: I were planning to see this but the show as apparently been cancelled. Not going to half-a-show.

Wasn't cancelled, they're just taking their sweet time with it. New season is sposed to start in January or something like that.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

4 epidsodes of Rome watched. I can now say I love this show. Intelligent and full of scheming and plotting. A little too much of the love drama sideplots but...definitely worth watching. It contains quite a bit of off-hand nudity tho; fair warning for anyone who doesn't like such in their shows.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Wire is ok but it is just too damn slow... Deadwood is another slow as hell show. I normally just watch half an episode of these shows and then go and take a long, long break. In fact Ive decided to stop watching them.

There are only four incredible shows, AFAIK: BSG, PB, Lost and The Shield. 24 used to be good but now it sucks.

Im gonna check out Rome. Its too short though... After Im done with that what the next one to watch?

PS. I really hate series with seperate plots for each episode, those suck. Long and branching plotlines FTW.

Wasn't cancelled, they're just taking their sweet time with it. New season is sposed to start in January or something like that.

That is really great news.

January isn't so bad for someone who's been waiting for the third season of Battlestar Galactica for what... 7 months now? With another one to go!

Rome's production values are through the roof. It must be one of the most expensive shows ever made but it is really, really good. The lovey-dovey subplots are actually quite important for the overall story. It's not just a little love tale here and there. Where those relationships go will have serious consequences on coming events, most notably the season's truly fantastic finale.

It won 4 Emmys and 2 Golden Globes with any "smaller" honors. It is as great and epic as its source material.

Oh and I don't think anyone has mentioned Veronica Mars. Apparently it's very underrated but I've only seen bits of it. The teenage detective thing through me off.

Edited by astr0creep

on Rome: I've read here and there that they're making the 2nd season but they announced the won't be making a third. Perhaps that's what he/she meant by 'cancelled.'

Of course, they could always change their mind mid-2nd season. We can hope.

on Rome: I've read here and there that they're making the 2nd season but they announced the won't be making a third. Perhaps that's what he/she meant by 'cancelled.'

Of course, they could always change their mind mid-2nd season. We can hope.

Saddening. :devil:

But one can easily figure out that after

the death of Caesar in the finale

the storyline is pretty much over.

I thought they were telling the story of

one Emperor per season

Too bad.

Edited by astr0creep

I like "House".

He is definitely a flawed character.

It series may actually invert the typical themes of situation comedys.

Most situation comedy episodes run something like this: person tells lie (I Love Lucy) or makes mistake (Gracie and Allen) - person spends rest of episode telling lies (Lucy) or making more mistakes (Gracie) in effort to deal - lie/mistake is finally revealed - resolution. Kinda a plot about grieving - denial.

House situation comedy seems to run something like this: House says something outrageously true - House and others spend rest of episode attempting to overcome or otherwise patch the truth - truth is finally revealed to be only partly correct - resolution. Kinda a plot about grieving - anger.

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.