Anyone seen these shows?

Pope

Lost and Prison Break renewed my interest in tv-shows. But since 1 meager episode a week doesn't cut it anymore, I'm on the lookout for other shows. I tried Invasion, but after about 10 episodes I decided that it sucked. These are the other ones that piqued my interest, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they're any good before I start wasting $ or bandwith on them:

The 4400: does this show go anywhere, or is it just another endless X-Files?

The Dead Zone: same as above

Oz: 6 seasons seems quite much to me, does it have closure or is it more of a soap?

Alias: I read the final episodes feel a bit too forced

Rome: heard lots of good stuff about this one

Taken: I saw the first two episodes and I got bored, does it get better?

Any others? Keep in mind that I'm not too fond of too much sci-fi, especially when there's aliens involved (which is why I didn't like Invasion and Taken all that much).

Try BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!!!

You can start buy renting the season 1 DVDs if you like.

And it's definitely worth wasting bandwidth on.

:thumbsup:

That sounds waaaay too much like Star Trek. Which I absolutely loathe. :x

Also, I like series with closure. A dragged out plot is lame.

Aside from being in space, it is nothing like Star Trek. There is a bit of the "Giligan's Island syndrome" but the quality of the writing and the acting outstrips the show's minor flaws.

The third season begins in less than a month and nothing has been dragging on so far.

The series is a story, it's not like each episode is independant from the others, they all follow each other at a quick but steady pace.

You may still not like it and I'm not forcing you or anything but it certainly deserves a try, at the very least.

I actually prefer shows with an overarching storyline rather than a fresh little plot in each episode.
Also, I like series with closure. A dragged out plot is lame.

That almost sounds contradictory since episodic series can't have real closure until the series ends...but don't worry, I think I know what you mean. :thumbsup:

Taken: We tried the first disc and got bored, never watched anymore.

4400: only saw the first few pilot episodes etc. Those were interesting but I have the feeling it will/does follow an x-files or 'thing of the week' kind of pattern. Tho of course it has a central storyline and threads.

The Dead Zone: It's so-so. Gets some good press so I watched some of it, but it wasn't special. Not terrible, just not special.

House: is like CSI in it's case-solving aspect, along w/the continuing/developing character arcs (CSI does have them...), but it's not as...um...goodygoody in nature. House is a great anti-hero (or something) character - he IS the show. He's what keeps people watching even if the 'cases' get a bit repetitive. If you like main charactrs different from today's usual TV norm, worth renting a disc or two from Blockbuster to check it out.

Galactica: I disagree with astrocreep, it was dragging way too much by the end of the 2nd season. If you dislike shows that seem to go nowhere per episode (ala 24, or most soap operas, say) then I doubt you'd like Galactica. Each episode does (usually) have a minor plot that gets wrapped up somewhat (especially in the 1st season), but mostly plots and arcs just go on and on and on...and on...hubby and I roll our eyes at the end of almost every episode, heheh....that said, I enjoy the show most of the time, with great acting/atmosphere, and it's definitely not Star Trek. :x

Rome: That's one I want to see badly too, don't get the station. I'm hoping to buy the recent discs soon.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you like the show why encourage people to steal it? :x

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

How is it stealing if I pay for viewing the station, like cable or satellite or whatever? What is the difference with using TiVo or VCR and downloading an episode that I missed? As long as they're not on DVD it ain't stealing.

It could even be argued that in the event that I was stealing, in promoting the show and the Sci-Fi network I would be paying my dues. Kind of.

Edited by astr0creep

Almost forgot -

Nip/Tuck. Surreal/outlandish, weird, edgy, sometimes soap-operaish in drama-level. Has plastic surgery 'cases' but a lot of interweaving plotlines outside of those as well. Kinda like...the cases are usually at most 30-40% of each episode. Not for everyone, but Blockbuster may have it for rent too. :thumbsup:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

How is it stealing if I pay for viewing the station, like cable or satellite or whatever? What is the difference with using TiVo or VCR and downloading an episode that I missed? As long as they're not on DVD it ain't stealing.

You have my fullest apologies there, sir. I jumped to the wrong conclusion. I can only plead the unusual heat today in the UK.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

snip

I really liked Rome. Bought it on DVD. The only thing I didn't really like was that it didn't show the passage of time very well. 12 episodes showed from Caesar's rise to power to his assassination, and it felt like it all happened in a couple weeks.

I also recommend Galactica, and Eureka. I personally thought Galactica just kept getting better and better.

Eureka is just fun sci-fi with good characters.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

This is my schedule for the comming season/current season:

Monday:

The Class (CBS, premieres September 18)

- Comedy sort of like friends.

Prison Break (Fox, second season premieres August 21)

- Well. It's PB.

Heroes (NBC, premieres September 25)

- It has potential but could also be very bad. Like the show Mutant X or what ever it was called.

Weeds (Showtime, second season premieres August 14)

- About a housewife dealing marijuana. Reminds me of Desperate Housewifes except they are very political incorrect. (swearing, sexual language/suggestions etc)

Tuesday:

House (Fox, third season premieres September 5)

- Already mentioned by others. Except I don't think it can be compared to CSI. Sure there are some camera-injury-action but other than that...? House aka Hugh Laurie is very watchable.

Boston Legal (ABC, third season premieres September 26)

- Comedy. I think ;). It's a very odd kind of show. A bit of Ally I think and then on the other hand not at all.

Wednesday:

Jericho (CBS, premieres September 20)

- In the preview episode we saw SPOILER: some nuclear bombs destroy some american cities. Now... I am interested in this show, but if this is going to be some sort of "uhh the terrorists are comming" kinda thing then no thanks. Perhaps a 4. World War senario.

Lost (ABC, third season premieres October 4)

- Se comment to Prison Break.

Day Break (ABC, premieres November 15)

- Something about someone who must relive the same day over and over. (Like Groundhog Day I guess).

The Nine (ABC, premieres October 4)

- About a group of people being held hostages at a bank. We follow them afterwards.

South Park (Comedy Central, 10th season fall premiere October 4)

- Well.....

Thursday:

Smallville (CW, sixth season premieres September 28)

- I hate myself for seeing this show. I believe it lowers IQ as the manuscript is almost always quite horrible.

Supernatural (CW, second season premieres September 28)

- About two brother who fight supernatual enemies.

Shark (CBS, premieres September 21)

- James Wood as a lawyer.

Battlestar Galactica (Sci Fi, third season premieres October 6)

- See comments for Prison Break / Lost :)

Addendum:

The 4400: I have seen every episode but... sigh. It had so much potential but it really is a lowbudget show. I will also be watching the next season but... expectations are low.

The Dead Zone: Watched once. Don't watch now. A friend of mine has stayed with it though.

Kyle XY: Same as The 4400.

Eureka: Too silly for my taste.

Rome: I were planning to see this but the show as apparently been cancelled. Not going to half-a-show.

Firefly / Serenity: Run my head into a wall in order to forget the plot and have the thrill of re-watching the best show ever created. (In case you were wondering: I leave post-its to remind me why I now have a headache and encourage myself to hit play on the DVD.)

Edited by ElNino

Has anybody watched The Closer?

Humor, well-drawn and acted characters, interesting plots... pulls off subtle visual hints and interactions pretty well, if you like that sort of stuff.

The first season is on DVD @ Netflix.

Since Scrubs, Battlestar Galactica and Reno911 are all still on vacation, the only other show I keep up with is Rescue Me (although sometimes I'm not really sure why, other than I like Dennis Leary). It lost whatever point it had long ago, but still does drama and camera work/music pretty well.

Standalone plots are not bad as long as there is a main plot thread to the series and the standalone plots do not upstage it.

In fact, when this balance is found standalone plots can be very good. Every episode will have a conflict and a climax and there aren't nearly as many lame soap-opera cliffhangers.