Nope, I still dont like MMO's

Kaftan Barlast

I got a free 14day trial and some dodgy geezers at school made me try it. Its very pretty and its fun to make characters, in fact, it more fun to make characters than play.

No matter which MMO it is, they still fail on the regular key issues. This is the hypothesis of Kaftan:

• You cant have a story where the protagonists outnumber every villain and supporting act by 100:1
  • You cant change a world that has to appear the same to a million players
  • Without a story or a world they can change, the player is stuck with performing trivial tasks that have no effect on the world around them.
  • Since performing trivial tasks and being unable to actually accomplish anything is boring, MMO's are boring*

:))

*except to MMO fans

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Apart from the slightly muddled academic game design term of change, the world of Fallout changes significantly from the start of the game to the finish. There are very few games, if any, where the world(not "the world" but the enviroments the player moves through) remains completely static from start to finish.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

No matter which MMO it is, they still fail on the regular key issues. This is the hypothesis of Kaftan:
  • You cant have a story where the protagonists outnumber every villain and supporting act by 100:1

• You cant change a world that has to appear the same to a million players

• Without a story or a world they can change, the player is stuck with performing trivial tasks that have no effect on the world around them.

However, you CAN whack people with a Claymore. And if that isn't worth a small monthly fee, then I don't know what is. :geek:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

CoV2.jpg

Claymores are for little girls, 8' tall women supervillains use Gamma radiation :geek:"

Some of the things in COV are interesting:

The last Strike force you can pull off is more of an endurance trial for everyone...

You fight EVERY SINGLE member of the Freedom Phalanx (think the ubermasters of good... or the JLA) one right after the other with no slow down in between.

I take it you played a rad/rad corruptor?

(and for the record you can't use a claymore in COV... only OH)

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yeah, I just picked it because I liked the sound of it. None of really have any experience of CoV/CoH so we're stumbling in the dark.

How do I get from the starting place to the ISland where they have the shop where you can change your appearance?

Yeah, I just picked it because I liked the sound of it. None of really have any experience of CoV/CoH so we're stumbling in the dark.

How do I get from the starting place to the ISland where they have the shop where you can change your appearance?

on your map there should be a green dot marked "Port Oaks Ferry" you take that to port oaks... then go to the dot marked "Rogue Isles Ferry" and when you get there you select Cap Au Diable from the list of destinations and when in Cap look for the Marker for "tailor" (it looks like a shop) But remember... you have to pay to change your costume (unless you have one of the ever plentiful tokens (my main has about 17 right now because I don't change his costumes))

Personally I prefer the brutes to the corruptors... more smashy less "run away like a little girl because I have no life"

the easies of the brute power selections is SuperStrength/Invulnerability as SS you have some fairly good attacks and Invulnerable is pretty good at resisting anything (except for Psychic damage :shudder:)

radiation is designed primairly around debuffing your opponents. Just keep that in mind and Don't "anchor" your target without letting the brute take agro (if you stay with your character.)

Don't "anchor" your target without letting the brute take agro (if you stay with your character.)

What does that mean? Im not familiar with MMO-lingo.

And what should I have chosen if I want to be a corruptor that just spams damaging things on the enemy?

Don't "anchor" your target without letting the brute take agro (if you stay with your character.)

What does that mean? Im not familiar with MMO-lingo.

And what should I have chosen if I want to be a corruptor that just spams damaging things on the enemy?

fire...

and Anchoring is actually City of specific in that the Radiation secondary you have has a power that will attach to it's target and cause a significant debuff to the surrounding enemies. it also generates craploads of agro.

Fire is the NUMBER ONE damaging powerset... for your secondary? Traps maybe? it's got some debuffs buffs and other tools of the trade (I think tripmine is in that one) that allow you to solo easier.

I think MMOs have huge potential in social interactions. Much more organic growth and reactions than something prescripted. It's a powerful tool to study human behaviour.

Whether it's players planning how to handle/bounty hunt a group of PK'ing clan or whatever. I really lol'd when a group of dudes on WOW found a way to spread a plague thingie. Blizzard probably shut that down but they could have handled things differently by posting incentives for people to bounty hunt those plague carriers.

Rather than lack of freedom MMOs present huge potential compared to single player or some small multiplayer group.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

It's not just combat centric stuff.  Free economies can function in MMOs driven by organic forces (and the devs should be taking notes how players behave) while this would never happen even in a small, say 24 person multiplayer.

Yeah, I know a lot of people who love games like Animal Crossing, which I don't believe has any death in it. Secondlife also draws some people, but I think it's boring, and it's got some serious security issues.

I read an academic paper a few years ago about how the Everquest world was technically the 74th(?) weathiest nation on Earth. That was before WoW came in and dominated MMOs.

I recently tried the trial of CoV. It was my first MMO, having only recently switched to broadband.

I made an 8 foot tall bald rotting corpse lady. I kept getting lots of invites or some such. Necrophiliacs paradise!

Anyway, I actually didn't mind it, but then I got lost trying to find the entrance to something or other and lost interest.

It's not just combat centric stuff.  Free economies can function in MMOs driven by organic forces (and the devs should be taking notes how players behave) while this would never happen even in a small, say 24 person multiplayer.

to a point city of heroes doesn't have an economy to speak of... THe only "phat Lewt" you can get is either A) bought or B) requires seventy odd members of the server with fifties to kill somthing.

I think single+multiplayer moddable games after the NWN concept holds much more possibilities than an MMO could ever provide. You have:

-Singeplayer with story

-Multiplayer co-op with a select group of friend

-Persistent World communities offering everything from PvP to hacking monsters with yer mates

In CoV, you and your group runs your own race, other players running around adds absolutely nothing to the game, it actually takes away any RP feeling to have "Lord Refrigerator Pants" bunnyjump around you blasting off random powers while youre tying to stay in-character.

I think it would be better to have a lobby where players could meet everyone on the server and then completely separate copies of the game world for each group to play around in, undisturbed. I understand some MMO's like D&DO is already trying this approach. Of course youd also need some sort of "big hostile place" where the PvPers could get their kicks... possibly in the form of classic FPS clan matches where one group sets a date to battle another(which is present in CoV's stronghold system)

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

The concept sounds pretty boring to me though people have spent lots of money and time on games like Everquest and WOW. I'm not sure why.

The medium's just developing and it's seductive to think that we already know everything that is to know about it. It's a new world waiting to be discovered.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Kaftan, nobody plays MMOs because they want to roleplay.

Those who are actually immersed in the game are either:

1/ Conditioned to be satisfied with the drubbery of a Tolkien cardboard fantasy gloss (i.e. the Warcraft generation)

2/ Not 1/, but in the pursuit of gameplay (i.e. goals and new events) find themselves suitably immersed and able to treat what we see as glaring immersion breakers as 'necessary evils of the medium'.