NHL 06

Hurlshort

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/732/732023p1.html

It's looking like I'll be buying the EA hockey game this season. After playing with the stickhandling concept in the shootout demo, I've deceided it's a very good step in a new direction.

NHL2k6 looks great, but it's not much different than the previous titles. Anyway, I plan on picking it up this week, and I'll keep y'all informed.

Will DWIs be in the game?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

You know, I'm really finding it odd that Future Shop is advertising Lego Star Wars 2 as being out today when the NHL installments don't hit until thursday. I know up north we usually have to wait a day for the games to be shipped.

I think I just answered my own question, nevermind... :blink:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Alright, first game report...

I started a season with the Sharks, and spent a good hour tweaking lines. There is a farm system, and they had most of my Shark prospects, so I was happy with that. I set the difficulty to All-Star, which is a notch below the hardest (All-Pro?) I figured with the new skill stick system, I would have a bit of a learning curve.

My first game was against the Blues, a good match up for my newbieness. A few minutes in, I managed to knock the puck into my own net. It was poor Matt Carle, but he'll redeem himself later. The controls were a bit difficult for a few minutes, mostly because I kept looking for a turbo button. But before the end of the first period, I was figuring out how to line folks up.

My first goal was rather accidental. Thornton put a shot on, and Cheecho kinda shoved the rebound in. I didn't actually shoot it, but I was happy to score. The puck physics are pretty interesting. They aren't perfect, but they are way better than the sticky pucks we are so used to.

Mark Smith blasted one home to put me up 2-1. I think the Blues goalie is just bad...I'm afraid of going up against a good one. St. Louis then tied it before the end of the first with a real goal, not one that I put in myself. It was a faceoff win, and then a blast from the point that my goalie didn't see.

2nd period was more defensive. I really got the hand of hitting. It's very rewarding to line a guy up and use the skill stick to shove him into the boards. Matt Carle scored on a powerplay blast from the point.

I took my 3-2 lead late into the 3rd, and then Michalek sealed it with an open netter. It felt good to win my first game. I didn't dominate, but I felt good about it. The Blues took quite a few penalties, which helped me out.

I'm definitely enjoying the new system. It is an entirely new way to play, and shooting the puck is a good deal more fluid. I still struggle on the deking aspect, but I imagine practice will help.

Edited by Hurlshot

Mark Bell is on my team, and the rosters all seem pretty current. He put a couple hits on. He's not facing prosecution in the game. :ermm:

I picked it up at Best Buy. I'm a bit surprised EB doesn't have it yet for you. It should be out today, I'd imagine.

Well, I had to piss away the deposit I put on NHL 07 from EB games. Future shop had maybe ten copies left over when I went there tonight, and EB had a sign on the front door saying 'NHL 07 is NOT in stock yet'. Of course now my stoner senses tell me first thing tomorrow morning I'll be getting a call from EB saying my game is in.

And my migrane won't let me focus on playing the game tonight anyway. I'll guess my first review will have to come tomorrow.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.