Hey taks, aren't you good at physics? Maybe Meta?

thepixiesrock

A bowling ball traveling with constant speed hits the pins at the end of a bowling lane 16.5m long. The bowler hears the sound of the ball hitting the pins 2.50 seconds after the ball is released from his hands. What is the speed of the ball? the speed of sound is 340m/s.

How do I do this?

Edited by thepixiesrock

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

High school problem so i am assuming closed system and bowling lane is smooth etc.

2.5s= time for sound to travel to bowler+ time for ball to hit the pins.

^ if thats right it should be a big hint.

edit: crap i got beat by meta. Well i was trying to help pixies work it out for himself.

Edited by Surreptishus

Hey, thanks.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

At highway speeds, a particular automobile is capable of an acceleration of about 1.6m/s^2. At this rate, how long does it take to accelerate from 80 km/h to 110 km/h?

So like, something along the lines of 110-80= 30km/h, and then do something with the 1.6 m/s?

So how long does it take him to accelerate a velocity of positive 30 km/h, if he accelerates 1.6 meters every second?

How long does it take him to accelerate a velocity of positive 8.34 m/s, if he accelerates 1.6 meters every second?

8.34/1.6 = 5.215 seconds.

Is that right? Or did I go wrong somewhere? Because I'm really having trouble focusing right now.

Nearly. The car is accelerating every second by an additional 1.6m. (1.6 meters per sec per sec)

So, not devided by 1.6, you need to use:

df406be590e89da4fcf9e85662aec1e0.png

where

u is the initial velocity (m/s)

v is the final velocity (m/s)

t is the time interval (s) elapsed between the two velocity measurements (also writen as "Δt")

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So: 30.58m/s - 22.24m/s = 8.34 m/s, therefore; 1.6m/s^2= 8.34m/s divided by time?

I'm a moron, I don't know what to do next. I can't focus.

Sure, but at least I'm not just asking for the answer, I was asking how to do it. I'm trying to learn Nick. Stop pestering me.

Yeah, I know that now.

Meta's solution is elegant.

I liked Meta's approach. He starts with the important stuff and makes a minor adjustment. He makes it easy to see that the adjustment is minor.

Nice! ;)

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

PHY101 stuff, really.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

yeah, the actual derivations for the equations (using calculus, derivatives) are college level, but high-school physics does spend a lot of time on the actual equations.

my high-school physics class was a blast. the teacher was one i'll never forget...

taks

comrade taks... just because.