Dreamcast turns 7 today

Bokishi

I've never tried the Dreamcast. I checked out the list of games it had, and I wasn't too impressed. Because, of that, I can't really say good or bad things about it except I heard a myth that it bombed big time. :thumbsup::luck::(

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

While I love my Dreamcast and it has some pretty sweet games on it, I actually liked the Saturn as a system better. But the Dreamcast was pretty cool. Pity it failed big-time.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wow it's like PowerStone central over here. I guess I'll pile on... they were revolutionary and fun, and they weren't the only great games for the DC. My favorites were the NBA 2K and Virtua Tennis games, they were always a blast with friends. There were also a crap-load of good racing games, like Hydro Thunder and that Tokyo challenge racing thing. And it's wasn't a racing game, but Crazy Taxi was a lot of fun too.

And you can't mention the DC without bringing up how completely Soul Calibur owned the fighter market in the DC's heyday.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Genesis pwns Dreamcast.

You can say that again. I'm pissed that I can't find an adequate emulator on the net. I can find Master System emulators, but they just suck.

I'll say this. I never played a Dreamcast game I actually liked. Nights: Blah, despite the fact that everybody seems content to wank over it. ;) Crazy Taxi: Kind of entertaining, but the handling is botched, and you can't run over people. Prince of Persia 3D: Boring. Quake 3 was kind of good, but it's a port, so it doesn't count. Same with GTA2.

It's telling that the Sega Smash packs are the only releases I liked. Streets of Rage 2! Altered Beast! w00t.

*edit- bah, I forgot about Soul Caliber. That was good. So my previous statement was fallacious. Disregard!

Edited by Pop

Umm Nights came out for Saturn, not Dreamcast.

Hmm, I have a Dreamcast port. Believe me, a lot of my friends come over to play it and listen to that goddamned music over and over. Given the (relatively) large Dreamcast modding community out there, it's possible it's not "natural", but whoever bootlegged it did a damn fine job.

Where did you get it? I have heard nothing about this and can't find any information about it on the net.

The "hobby shop" (ie geek mecca) in my town. I bought the used DC there + all the games they had for about $40. They included Nights, Sega Smash Pack I, Prince of Persia 3D, and Soul Caliber. I tracked down Crazy Taxi in Denver.

I think somebody's been had, and it may have been me.

*edit - Another thing, the DC controller is the 2nd most akwardly designed controller ever, behind that (Calico-vision?) 16-button joystick.

Edited by Pop

Awkwardly designed? It was basically the PlayStation/Xbox design that everybody uses, minus the right analog stick, right?

I don't remember ever having a problem with control on the DC. Sure it was kind of big, but at least the ABXY buttons were straight north, south east and west instead off-kilter like the original Xbox.

I never got to play the system myself. None of my friends had one and I was a C-64 geek at the time. Consoles were for kids (still are..).

I still remember two games that I really wished I had gotten to play though:

D-2: D2 combines classical survival horror exploration and first person combat with a RPG typical experience/level system. You play the mysterious heroine Laura, stranded in a vast snowy landscape after a plane crash and struck with amnesia about the last 10 days. The 3d engine allows you to freely move around the world, pilot snow mobiles, hunt for food or even capture photos. You will meet a variety of people and have to fight gruesome creatures and dangerous monsters. As the story advances you slowly regain your memory and unfold a terrifying plot about the end of the world.

Shenmue: It was free-form, it had incredible visuals and it seemed like the game of my dreams. Unfortunately, it first appeared on the one system I just couldn't seem to get a hold of.

I am still sometimes thinking of buying an old Dreamcast system and hunt down these games, just to get those teenage ghosts out of my head.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Awkwardly designed? It was basically the PlayStation/Xbox design that everybody uses, minus the right analog stick, right?

I don't remember ever having a problem with control on the DC. Sure it was kind of big, but at least the ABXY buttons were straight north, south east and west instead off-kilter like the original Xbox.

That was part of it. It was just blocky, you had to hold it like an open book instead of a controller (that is, your palms face more upward than downward), and the cord ran out of the bottom instead of the top. The Xbox controller is more a descendant of the original Sega controller, which was well-designed.

^Yeah the wire coming out the bottom of the DC controler bugged me too. I didn't hate the thing, but sometimes it was awkward to use.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I dunno, I never got used to it. And ultimately the VMU(?) mini-games weren't all that interesting either, making it seem to be a waste of space.

But maybe I just didn't get the right games; I got the Dreamcast out of my love of Sega games, but it never was as good a console for me as the Saturn was.

The wire should have been at the top, you're right about that. I really liked the n64 controller too - it was innovative, but not too crazy like this Weeeeeee business.

It's pretty impressive how much more ergonomic controllers have gotten since the NES days.