Fallout:Brotherhood of Steel

greylord

It looks like this has fallen into the bargain areas of gaming and I could get some at a cheap price. This is one I have to admit I've never actually played.

I realize that it won't be anything like the rest of the Fallout Series, and perhaps even a wider difference between the Fallout's and it then there was between the Baldurs Gate series and Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance series.

I did enjoy the fallouts...

I immensely enjoyed Baldurs Gate...

I also immensely enjoyed the Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance series for what it was, as well as the Champions of Norrath series.

With that in mind, is it worth it for me to get Fallout Brotherhood of Steel for 5 to 10 dollars, or is it still a waste of money?

Edited by greylord

edit: nevermind :)

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's a great game on it's own right that shouldn't be mixed as an rpg. Think of it as a Jagged Alliance-FF Tactics-kind of game and you'll be fine. A mix of tactical group battles in varied missions and the wealth of Fallout lore, coupled with an amazing athmosphere.

Everybody who likes the setting should get it, it's hardly an rpg, much less than say BG, the ultimate hack'n'slasher, but there's plenty of other stuff than plain combat to keep you going and SPECIAL is the still one of the best systems to ever grace an rpg.

Edit: Wait? Not Tactics, but BoS? That gun-ho Fallout-thing? I wouldn't bother, since it's really short and not nearly as varied as Dark Alliances were. If you want a similar, but better, game; get Shadowgrounds. Unless you really really dig the Fallout-world.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

He is talking about FOPOS not FOT.

Oh OK. I always get them confused since Fallouit:tactics is actually called Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel which is how I think of it.

I never played the one he's talking about then.

edit:quote fixed

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I got bored with the game. The only Fallout game I never completed.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

FOT:BOS is really its own game, and while it strays from canon and loses most of the Fallout humor, it's still an adequate game, and an interesting play.

FO:BOS, however, you'll want to stay away from. I approached it with an open mind (ie before I knew it was so antagonized by the FO community) and man, it was terrible. Repetitive gameplay, bad design all around, incredibly bad story elements. It was a disaster. Absolutely no redeeming value at all.

FOBOS was a fun game. It was more challenging than either BGDA though the character system wasn't as good. Plus, it has b00bies which is always a plus in my book.

FOBOS is severely undderated. People judge it wrong by comparing it to the FO RPG series which FOBOS is most certainly not trying to be.

FO FOBOS GO!

P.S. FOBOS is superior to FOT as FOT simply got boring, and uninteretsing. In essence, FOBOS was fun, FOT was not.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If it has the Fallout name I will compare it to FO 1 and FO 2. I don't care if it is FPS POS, an action game, or strategy. Fallout is a CRPG therefore all games with the Fallout name will be judged as such.

FOT and FOPOS are Fallout in name only and thusly crap.

Sorry, but now you're just being silly.

It's hardly the first time a game was made on an existing license for a different genre.

Of course its not the first time. I never said it was. Any game that uses a name of a previous game but that is all they have in common is crap. You can either make the game similar to the original if you are going use the name or you can come up with an original title and let the game stand on its own merits. I prefer the latter than the former.

If a game is going to have Fallout in its title I expect a Fallout game. If a game is going to have Quake in its title I expect a Quake game. If a game is going to have Might and magic in its title then I expect a Might and magic game. So forth and so on.

Edited by Judge Hades

hades is the only one who matters. if you dont get it then it's your own fault.

I am the only person that matters to me as much as alan is the only person that matters to him in this discussion. If it is my fault for my tastes and expectations then it is his fault for his.

My views works for me and Alan's views works for him, however his views do not work for me as mine does not work for him.

Edited by Judge Hades

I have different tastes and expectations in games than you. For you it is perfectly acceptable to have a game take a name of a better game then have it be complete junk according to your posts. For me, it is not. Therefore we have different tastes in games.

I don't recall ever saying it's acceptable for a game to be complete junk.

I'm saying it's acceptable for a game to use the same universe in a different genre.

I never once said FOBOS was a good game and in any way justified. I'm saying you can't compare it to an RPG Fallout.