Abit AW9D-MAX

Fionavar

What the....looks about twice or 2.5 times as 'tall' as the one on mine. One day they'll make them so large that pc cases will have to lay flat again. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Flat cases ... good idea :) I think that is one of the reason I have finally migrated to a SFF. A little bit more, but much more quiet and sleek ... the cooler is just insane ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

And this is the reason why I'm holding back my purchase of a Conroe system. I am patiently waiting for the motherboard manufacturers to catch up with the new technology. I am definitely going to buy an Abit again once they start winning all the motherboard tests again. Seems like Abit is getting closer to finalizing their bios, according to that article. Good.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

But the Conroes run cooler than your averahe AMD dont they? So theres no need for a giant cooler.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yes, but Abit is the brand to get for serious overclocking. Apparently you can get the E6600 to run in 3.45 GHz using only air cooling (it runs 2.4 GHz stock!). That would still take some serious cooling..

I can't wait to get my hands on the system.

Yes, but Abit is the brand to get for serious overclocking. Apparently you can get the E6600 to run in 3.45 GHz using only air cooling (it runs 2.4 GHz stock!). That would still take some serious cooling..

I can't wait to get my hands on the system.

Conroe 2 is so cool that I should be able to o/c the e6600 in my SFF to 3.0 ghz on air - definitely impressive. Thanks to AMD 5 years ago pushing Intel hard!

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

And this is the reason why I'm holding back my purchase of a Conroe system. I am patiently waiting for the motherboard manufacturers to catch up with the new technology. I am definitely going to buy an Abit again once they start winning all the motherboard tests again. Seems like Abit is getting closer to finalizing their bios, according to that article. Good.

Yeah, mobos are non-trivial. :(

Conroe companions

C

onroe is quick. It's cool. It's an unbeatable number-crunching tool. However you slice it, Intel's all-new Core 2 Duo processor is a fabulous return formafter the increasingly hot and bothered demise of the Pentium Netburst family of chips. But if Core 2 Duo (aka Conroe at Intel's Santa Clara, California HQ) does have a weakness compared with AMD's Athlon 64 CPUs, it involves motherboard and chipset support.

Thanks to the high level integration on the Athlon 64 itself, socket compatibility ususally means motherboard compatibility. In other words, when an AMD chip physically fits a motherboard it usually works (the odd BIOS update notwithstanding). Not so for Intel's processors. With so much functionality still residing on a northbridge chip on the motherboard, including the memory controller and front side bus, socket compatibility is just a starting point. Chipset support is key. And therein lies the problem, because Intel has a nasty habit of defenestrating chipsets with a nonchalance bordering on disdain. Lest you forget, a mere 18 months ago the 925X was the LGA775-socket daddy. Since then, the 955X has effectively been and gone and Intel's top LGA775 chipset is currently the 975X. Add in the rapid transition from 915 to 945 and now 965 mainstream chipsets and you have a recipe for a whole heap of redundant motherboards.

In terms of CPU support, therefore, Intel motherboards are a veritable nightmare. On paper, only the 975 and 965 chipsets support Conroe. In practice, however, there are both 945 chipsets that do and 975 that don't. Confusing, eh? Well, it's a function of the essential similarity between Intel's chipset revisions and the fact that CPU compatibility limitations are often artificially imposed by the marketing men in California.

Of course, Intel isn't the only company to offer supporting chipsets. Both ATI and NVIDIA will soon be offering compatible motherboards. But as wewent to press, NVIDIA wasn't quite ready to unleash its nForce offerings, while ATI's RD600 chipset still remains a month or two away.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Gaming performance comparison between Abit AW9D-MAX and Asus P5W DH Deluxe...

The Abit also overclocks better, but at the level these boards reach their limit.. well, let's just say that my overclocking skills usually reach their limit long before the boards hit theirs.