Feeling Welcomed.

Dark_Raven

It's sad to see when new members come here to post and get such a warm welcome. This thread is not by any means the worst of them, I have seen worst welcomes by you older members.

Is this how you treat new people you meet in life? Treat them unwelcomed, not worthy to be in your clique? This is one of those topics that I had discussed in great detail with the powers that be when I was a mod, how new members are treated like second rate citizens. It's no wonder they don't come back to post again.

I may not be a mod any more, so why do I give a damn? I like Obsidian as a company, it has some of my favorites from the old BIS days and I like the forum community here believe it or not. I want to see it grow and become a good community and company. This will not happen when it becomes stagnant because new members are not returning.

Think about it.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

To be fair, the internet in general has a concept of "newbie" such that it's not atypical to be relatively aloof from newcomers.  It's hardly localized to this forum.

That being said, nobody wants to associate with a boor.  Kantian morality FTW.

The rationale - that I know is not what you are advocating PPR - that it happens elsewhere, or well 'they do it,' is opting into acquiescing responsibility. Posting here is aprivilege that carries with it responsibility. If one cannot meet that expectation, then there may arise the need to use the tools available to those entrusted to maintain these fora for Obsidian. These fora (in all of their manifestations since BIS) have always walked this fine line with tolerance. Alienating any - though particularly new - members in the fashion that has occurred today is not acceptable. I will leave this discussion for the community to engage in and hopefully something will be added for reference globally soon. If we cannot offer a welcoming space that we have found here, then perhaps it is time for those less-welcoming to find a new - private - home ...

/pontificating from the Roost

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

So what, she can preech at us, but not vise versa? If I started a seperate thread about how it isn't everyone who is mean and just one or two people? Would that work?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

The rationale - that I know is not what you are advocating PPR - that it happens elsewhere, or well 'they do it,' is opting into acquiescing responsibility. Posting here is aprivilege that carries with it responsibility. If one cannot meet that expectation, then there may arise the need to use the tools available to those entrusted to maintain these fora for Obsidian. These fora (in all of their manifestations since BIS) have always walked this fine line with tolerance. Alienating any - though particularly new - members in the fashion that has occurred today is not acceptable. I will leave this discussion for the community to engage in and hopefully something will be added for reference globally soon. If we cannot offer a welcoming space that we have found here, then perhaps it is time for those less-welcoming to find a new - private - home ...

/pontificating from the Roost

Of course I was not advocating that as a rationale.

I was pointing out a newcomer to ANY forum, like myself to here, should typically expect to get flogged like a lazy donkey by "the regulars".

I am, in fact, advocating responsibility on BOTH sides: treat the newbs how you want to be treated, and when you walk in as a noob, be thick-skinned and magnanimous.

As I have said to Fionavar in private, I feel Dark Revan is painting this picture that most of us are like this, and that her and a minority of posters are good, and the rest of us are huge jerks to everyone. I feel it's just the opposite, that the majority of the posters here are not unwelcoming. It's just that the few unwelcoming people post often and then the new person gets the idea that we are all like that. I can understand that veiw from a new person, but not from someone who has been here a while. If this topic isn't up for debate, than why even have it open?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and look at the forums as a whole, something that's difficult to do the longer you're here.

I think Darque had a wise point.

I feel it's very important to create a place that fosters a positive and constructive atmosphere, not only for long-timers and new members, but for those non-members who may be reading the forum and considering whether or not it's a community they'd wish to join. This isn't a 'private' forum and imo it should strive to potentially be a place for everyone, even those of relatively thin-skin.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well Pixies, you bring up a good point in all this.

Personally, I think if the friendly "old guard" would try and point this out to the less than friendly "old guard" then there wouldn't be any misunderstandings. :)

If you see someone being unwelcoming to a new poster, you should tell them, this is a community after all. (w00t)

Then the forums would grow, and everyone would be happy. :p

I agree with pixie - thank you - for illustrating that the events of the last day have been on account of a minority of the 'old guard.' That such behaviour is not to be tolerated any longer, I pray indeed, is clear.

The intent of this thread - that of being a welcoming place or else experience likely contraction is a fair challenge to all of us. As Darque has articulated, community is only community when we all take responsibility and question behaviour that is not becoming. I hope that the recent Announcement addresses this very real issue with respect. If you - any of YOU - have further questions, challenges and/or concerns, please feel free to use the PM system.

With respect,

Fionavar

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: