Oblivion

Walsingham

I've been playing Oblivion for 24 hours, and I'm bored witless. Why? Two reasons:

- The lack of any sensible dialogue options makes me feel like I have nothing to add in conversation. Nothing to express. We all know BIS games had little actually mechanics involved in what you said, but you could pretend it did.

- The enemies keep levelling up with you! This is asinine in an rpg. This is not an arcade game. I should have the option to take on weeds if I feel like it. Go down the docks and pick a bar fight = easy. Go into the woods and hunt goblins = easy. If I want a challenge I should have to go looking for it. That is what heroing is about!

As a consequence I feel no less stressed having a punch up with bandits than I do duking it out with demons in hell. in fact I actually found myself preferring to fight demons in hell rather than goblins, for pity's sake! Because at least the demons were supposed to be dangerous.

I'm very very close to jacking it in, and not playing the rest of the game.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Mistress Lair is still down. Damn.

:ermm: Just saying, because Pete there posted a link to a very hefty mod that improves AI greatly and mostly(?) removes enemies levelling with you.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

:ermm: Just saying, because Pete there posted a link to a very hefty mod that improves AI greatly and mostly(?) removes enemies levelling with you.

I love you, and want to have your babies. Now, what's this about a mod?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

OOO is a great mod. Content addtions, gameplay changes, AI enhancements. Plus as Kirottu points out it removes a lot of the leveling aspects of the game. I shoudl point out that it also makes the game MUCH harder

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't really like OOO. It does a great number of things but it makes the game next to impossible to play in the beginning levels. A better mod is Francesco's.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View...s.Detail&id=268

How it tweaks the game is a bit more subtle.

Also if you are looking for a more PC UI you will want to get BTMod:

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View...ds.Detail&id=25

Oh hell, here is a good article detailing how to optimize Oblivion for the PC:

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=36919

I don't really like OOO.  It does a great number of things but it makes the game next to impossible to play in the beginning levels.

Yes, good luck playing as a 30 Endurance wood elf for example.

However, it is playable if you are prepapred to run away a lot. However,stiautions in which you can't really run away in can be tough early. On my last gamne, I got a Clannfear in the first Main Quest. A Clannfear is a Level 11 creature and it killed my pc in 2 quick hits. She didn't even have time to scream :ermm:

However, I think its a total fab mod and enjoy the challenge.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yeah, I don't like dying.  Its just not me.  Francesco's tweaks the AI, level progression, adds new content and such as well as fixes the whole level scaling bullcrap yet still makes it low level friendly.

That sounds cool, Hades. I'm going to check it out.

One quick question: Does it make combat overall tougher?

That is hard to say. It makes the combat AI smarter but doesn't increase the levels of the critter. Also if I read it write it sets level caps on certain critters and what they have such as no more level 40 bandits with daedric armor.

So in a round about way yes it does but at the same time it doesn't. :blink:

That is hard to say.  It makes the combat AI smarter but doesn't increase the levels of the critter.  Also if I read it write it sets level caps on certain critters and what they have such as no more level 40 bandits with daedric armor.

So in a round about way yes it does but at the same time it doesn't.  :blink:

Ah, cool. The readme appears to be buried in the download so I'll have to wait until i can DL it later to check it out.

It would be nice to play a mod that accomplishes many of the same things as OOO, but isn't quite as um deadly. There isn't much room for error at low levels when playing OOO.

oh um, fileplanet <_<

Fileplanet and I don't get along. Its a long story.

Here's a non FP link for those who are interested: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/mods/th...mod.html#id9036

Gonna look through the readme know. Thanks, Hades.

Hey did you also install the additionalnewarmorandweaponspack?

:p Just saying, because Pete there posted a link to a very hefty mod that improves AI greatly and mostly(?) removes enemies levelling with you.

OSCURO'S OBLIVION OVERHAUL

http://jorgeoscuro.googlepages.com/

I was about to say the same. Great mod.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oh look, a female underwear mod. :p

I've been playing Oblivion for 24 hours, and I'm bored witless. Why? *snip*

If the above post had been made by myself, it would have read as:

'I've been playing Oblivion for 2 hours, and I'm bored witless. Why? *snip*'

I expected this, but still needed to see what the fuss was about. I can see the apeal, but nothing clicked with me.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Oblivion is good for a dungeon crawl, but the actual RPG aspects of it tend to be... light. You're not actually a PC, you're a set of stats that... does things. I found myself worrying more about being able to carry loot than anything else. It's the price you pay for large-scale non-linearity. It's fun, it's just not the amazing RPG experience so many critics made it out to be.

Games like KOTOR, despite being more rigid, exist on a higher plane of existence as games than Oblivion. That statement simply comes from my experience with RPG gaming. Who knows, some might find it to be the game they've been born for. It's not mine.

What's wrong with Fileplanet?  Best place to download Oblivion mods.  Hardly ever have to wait.

Premium account? For those who have not subscribed there you have to wait in line. Unless its changed.

They still have lines but I haven't had a need to wait for a download unless its a really large file and even then its less than 5 minutes.

Oblivion is good for a dungeon crawl, but the actual RPG aspects of it tend to be... light. You're not actually a PC, you're a set of stats that... does things. I found myself worrying more about being able to carry loot than anything else. It's the price you pay for large-scale non-linearity.

Im more inclined to believe it is a deliberate design choice by Bethesda to cut down on the roleplaying elements because they think combat/loot/exploring is more important.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "