Warhammer 40k: Dark Crusade demo out

Musopticon?

The game itself is irrelivent to me, but the lore is <3

I love the designs as well.

I didn't even hear about this till I moved to portland for a year.

then I didn't have the money for the armies.

but how would an RPG work? the party would be hard to make unless you make some plot device that allows you to have an eldar and maybe a tau in the system.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I finally played the demo(RTW died on me, typical) and it's the best thing since the original DoW.

There's just something highly arousing about hearing the remixed(by Inon Zur) Blood Ravens theme bombasting on the back ground while Tau Crisis suits cut down a sea of Terminators and the nonstop screeching of Whirlwind rockets shreds the snowflosh-covered earth in a mush of blood and mud and wheeeee!!!

I also met this huge Tau fan in Tseno and I'm more hyped about the Space Commies than ever.

This means that G3, NWN 2 and Dark Messiah can sit on a shelf for the next sixth months. I'll play DoW.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I only played the demo for WA, still remember the music was distinct, so I can't really compare them. Chances are the music in DK is going to crap, but it's been almost year since my last tryout of DoW, I'm just re-sucking in the atmosphere like a sponge.

- A victim of hype and loves it

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

• 4 weeks later...

WOOO HOOO! This comes out tommarrow.

Also gamespot has some really nice looks at the new units for each faction (eldar:harlequin IG: Heavy Weapons Squad Ork: Flash Gitz Chaos: Daemon Prince and finially the grey Knights of the Marines.)

Awesome. Finally.

kirottu said:

do not EVER approach tau unless they are on the move or you can Jump into them (raptors and their like are REALLY GOOD against tau).

Well Fire warriors anyway, Kroots are the exact opposite, Kick the crap out of them from a distance.

• 1 month later...

*baby arm casts thread necro*

We've got a review up of Warhammer: Dawn of War (that's right, the original game w/o the expansions).

Now while it's true that you can upgrade units with certain weapons to be more effective against vehicles versus infantry or infantry versus vehicles, none of the upgrades appear to have anything more than a marginal affect. Like turrets, they *just* help you win by a little bit but if he has more units than you, don't even bother. Okay, okay, while the game's maybe not quite as bad as I might make out, the unit balance is atrocious. You're either walking all over your enemy without a care in the world or he's walking all over you. There is no inbetween. There are no close battles which you recover from to then push the enemy back and claim glorious victory. If you lose the first battle, you've lost the war. That's it. Game over.

Word of warning: it was written by a Starcraft fanboy.

Read it here.

Oye... if your going to write a review... play as more than one race. Or play more than one game. If he had he'd have realized that each different race is good at different things (for example, CSM's are actually a tad weaker than their Imperial brothers at higher tiers. and the Force Commander is only a Marine leader.)

He also doesn't understand the coutner system very well. Boy... he played like NOTHING of DOW.

"Anything more than a marginal effect"

lawl

Yeah, I can totally destroy those chaos predators with just my trusty plasma rifles.

And he complains about the lack of grind. I have found DoW games to be the exact opposite. Many battles end in draws and even though the enemy might have some steel to throw at me after the battle, my battlements usually chew those or I get some gear going before they annihilate my base.

On the other hand, battles can go on for ever so long, since special abilities fluctuate the unit morale so much and retreats can turn into feints. This is especially true with heavy armor like latter tier tanks that can completely rule a battlefield at first and yet be completely decimated once the foe gets his antitank squads to flank the guarding masses of cannon fodder. Melta bombs are a real bitch if you think your fire prisms are invincible. On that notion, a hell hound can totally decimate well-organized infantry force.

Of the games I've played in Starcraft, not so much multiplayer, note, most of the game seems to be based around dying in a torrent of siege tank fire when assaulting a base. More often than not you can't get the high tier anti-defence "casters" in to the fray since most of your time goes into rush-defence. Alternatively, you can die of facing an early rush.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said: