151 'Empire Strikes Back' changes

Nice comparison on how it looked when it was first released and now after being redone.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I could do something similar if I fiddled with the contrast settings on my tv :D

In all honesty though, it's a very notcable inmprovement.

Although I wish they hadn't changed so much within the story when they remastered them though. I'd like to get a copy of the pre-remastered movies on DVD, but I don't think they ever did it. I still have the copies on VHS, but they're from like 92 or something so they're rather degraded. (I only taped them)

kewl

Retreat, Hell! We're just fighting in another direction!" - General O.P. Smith (North Korea 1950)

"All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton, Jr.

Still not as good as my laserdisc version :cool:

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

He went a bit overboard on the blue-side of the grey color balance in many of those shots, or whatever you want to call it, imo.

But yeah, cleaning up the picture to make colors more vibrant etc. I don't typically mind. Old film/negative starts to degrade, spiffing it up and preserving it etc. is par for the course. It's just the added footage, changing of footage, and all of that I can't stand.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I could do something similar if I fiddled with the contrast settings on my tv :D

Although I wish they hadn't changed so much within the story when they remastered them though. I'd like to get a copy of the pre-remastered movies on DVD, but I don't think they ever did it. I still have the copies on VHS, but they're from like 92 or something so they're rather degraded. (I only taped them)

The current DVD-release has the laserdisc-version as bonus. So while they are not completely unchanged, they are on the level of 1993.

They are only available until Christmas or something like that, so if you want the pre-special edition movies, you should look at these DVDs, as they won't be released with next years 6-movie-box or any further DVD-release afterwards.

the ORIGIONAL THEATRICAL RELEASE cut of the films will be out on septeber 12.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Digitally restored or will it be all grainy and possess the appearance of being stuck in a closet for over 20 years?

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Digitally restored or will it be all grainy and possess the appearance of being stuck in a closet for over 20 years?

probably restored like they did for the twenty year anniversary... (The star wars trilogy on vhs ONE LAST TIME!) right before Phantom menace.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The latter. It's either all editing or no editing.

You have to understand, George Lucas is only doing this to appease those who can't seem to realize what a visionary he is. To edit them without changing them would be admitting that they were better as they were, before Lucas made them his through revision.

"In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983."

So you'll get the revised, polished edition and the untouched original.

Honestly though, I'm just going to hand him more cash for this. Maybe if I give him enough he won't butcher Indy 4.

Edited by Pop

George should edit the prequels

By removing Hayden Christensen and putting in someone who can act instead? I'd be all over that.

Granted, no amount of good acting could make up for the dialogue in episode III.

I picked up my DVDs after work today. Does that make me a chump? Perhaps... But I'm a happy chump who'll get to see Han shoot first. :D

Please review my fanfic!

Atton's Redemption

Atton's Motivation July 30: CHAPTER 26 is up!

--------------

DISCLAIMER: These posts may contain humour. No warranties as to the gelogenic qualities, either expressed or implied, are undertaken by the undersigned. All rights reserved. This does not affect your IQ. Any issues, see your psychologist or increase your dosage. --Metadigital

If Lucas edits the prequels, he needs to add in the content that were cut out.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester