Why People Hate Disciple

Disciple?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Disciple?

• GAH! Kill that obnoxious idiot!
    • He's okay...
    • What's wrong with him? He's a good character.

When reading other threads, I noticed that most, though not all, of the posters hated Disciple with a passion. Myself included. But when you think about it, there are always annoying characters. Everyone hates G0-T0, for instance (sorry, nearly everybody), but he doesn't seem to get as much conversation as Disciple. So I was just hoping we could get a discussion of legitimate reasons why people hate or don't hate him.

My personal explanation:

Not only is he a stupid, stuck up, super-pro Republic idget (I play lightside, and he still annoys me to death), with the cut content, he ends up being pretty much the only real romance option as female. You can get some lines from Atton early on, but even if you have 0 influence with him, Disciple is always the one who comes to cheer you up in the cargo hold. So annoying....

In D&D terms, he's the archtypical Paladin ... the one noone really wanted to play. While I enjoyed playing a Paladin, mine was the grubby "common man's" Paladin - the one who never had enough money for armor better than rusty chain mail because he gave the rest away to the more needy (not the party Thief, either).

He's too "polished" - perfect hair, snooty (fruity?) accent, etc. - you're almost afraid to take him into battle because you're afraid he'll break (when, in fact, he's a very capable fighter). He's the anti-Canderous (and most everyone likes Canderous because he's not polished).

Once you get past the fruity, frothy exterior, and learn his back story, he's not a terrible character, but for the most part, he is unnecessary (except as the third piece of a female Exile-Atton love triangle).

"you have left me an openingg!" <----That's y 4 me. :devil:

Retreat, Hell! We're just fighting in another direction!" - General O.P. Smith (North Korea 1950)

"All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton, Jr.

His accent and what sionn said.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

" Revan was power and it was like staring into the heart of the force."

S'not that I hate him, I find him repulsive. All that loyalty to the Republic is sickening. As I said before, the part after Dantooine when he walks backwards is creepy. I don't use him so I can't complain about his hissyfit cry "You have left me an opening" :o:x ....wait I just did! :D Not as good as Carth's "Down you go!" :blink: {Edited, for overly suggestive use of emoticons.} ^_^

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

My reason: well, for those that know him pretty well, he has a *10* wisdom. That is *not* good, if you want to advance him.

I'd go with 2d3, 3d6, 1/2d7, 1d10, 14d12, 8d20, 13 quarters, and a groundhog.

I'm not sure if you'll need all that, but if you figured out a system from it, it would be the greatest in the world.

When reading other threads, I noticed that most, though not all, of the posters hated Disciple with a passion. Myself included. But when you think about it, there are always annoying characters. Everyone hates G0-T0, for instance (sorry, nearly everybody), but he doesn't seem to get as much conversation as Disciple. So I was just hoping we could get a discussion of legitimate reasons why people hate or don't hate him.

It was the same with Carth. Too whiny many said. Of course if you played a female, Bastila was a cold fish to have to carry along for the ride, playing a male character she was fun to tease.

As to Disciple;

Perhaps the dislike comes from him portrayed as a straight goody-two shoes character and many play DS. Or even when some are playing grey/LS characters, his path/way of thinking is too light side?

I thought Disciple was a decent character all in all, perhaps a little too righteous for my taste if anything but better than Atton for a romance option. (Sorry ladies I thought Atton was ok but he was no Carth or Han Solo). Bao Dur and Candyman should have been romance options...sigh

Well, if only Mical had some depth in terms of character, like say own thoughts about Sith assassinations and occurrences. Affiliation with Republic is likely part of his story, and has to have some other connection to his purpose besides communicating with Carth sometimes.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

Oh, you meant personality :(

If that's the case, I'd have to agree with vaxen83 wholeheartidly.

I'd go with 2d3, 3d6, 1/2d7, 1d10, 14d12, 8d20, 13 quarters, and a groundhog.

I'm not sure if you'll need all that, but if you figured out a system from it, it would be the greatest in the world.

His accent and what sionn said.

i'm finally popular! (w00t)

Retreat, Hell! We're just fighting in another direction!" - General O.P. Smith (North Korea 1950)

"All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton, Jr.

Sometimes I miss the Baldurs Gate option .. to kill the annoying team members and grab their gear only to sell it to the nearest pirate/what-have-you..

:blink:

Playing DSF would be fun if you could kill Disciple

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)