On San Diego Beaches

J.E. Sawyer

If someone tells you to go to Mission Beach, do not. It is horrible and contaminated and will be the vacation you remember for getting Heptatitis. Ocean Beach is filthy and crowded. Pacific Beach is also filthy and crowded. Point Loma? Guess what? Filthy. Also, crowded. The best beach in San Diego is on Coronado. It is clean, open, and not full of disease. Anyone who argues against this point is probably a plague-ridden hippie who wants you to die after inhaling a discarded syringe full of human blood and feces.

I lived, for a short period of time, near Emerald Beach. It was (back then in 1992) quite a nice, laid back place. I'd walk up to La Jolla for a beer, past all the beautiful adobe houses with "INSTANT ARMED RESPONSE!!!" plaques in the gardens.

Happy days.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

If someone tells you to go to Mission Beach, do not.  It is horrible and contaminated and will be the vacation you remember for getting Heptatitis.  Ocean Beach is filthy and crowded.  Pacific Beach is also filthy and crowded.  Point Loma?  Guess what?  Filthy.  Also, crowded.  The best beach in San Diego is on Coronado.  It is clean, open, and not full of disease.  Anyone who argues against this point is probably a plague-ridden hippie who wants you to die after inhaling a discarded syringe full of human blood and feces.

you've got beach issues regarding san diego, right?

odd that you post this as i was contemplating san diego the past few days. a friend/colleague lives there (working for qualcomm) and we recently touched base. suddenly, today, i get in to work with a note about a potential contract with SPAWAR in san diego. we're flying out there in two weeks for a meeting as a result. it should be fun.

i agree, btw, that mission beach is a mess. completely. i went into one of the public johns and witnessed a drug trade almost immediately... on display in front of 15-20 people... amazing. coronado is beautiful, too. i've not been to the others.

mark

comrade taks... just because.

Don't suggest to me that people purchase illegal narcotics in Southern California. I can't process such notions.

In general, I love San Diego. I rarely spent time on the beaches themselves, and while I second the notion that Corando is probably the best beach, I think the bay is overlooked. Screw the sand. Get out on the water!

It's all about the wake-boarding!

i spent most of my time there drunk, so much more from me will be difficult. i found the city breathtaking, however, what little i did see.

now, ender, why exactly do you suppose i was down at mission beach? ;) j/k...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

"Don't suggest to me that people purchase illegal narcotics in Southern California. I can't process such notions."

LMFAO!  I preffer Northen Cali.  But it really is a shame to see beaches just trashed...

You guys are both wrong, Central California is where it's at.

I remember Jalama before all the wind surfers took over, beautiful. :)

Santa Cruz has the nicest shoreline I've seen.  It's very clean, and gorgeous.  The sea lions come right up to you on the shore, and you can feed them fish from the fresh fish vendors.

Is it just my insomnia coming back to haunt me or did anyone else read that as "The sea lions come right up to you on the shore, and you can feed them fresh fish vendors."?

If someone tells you to go to Mission Beach, do not.  It is horrible and contaminated and will be the vacation you remember for getting Heptatitis.  Ocean Beach is filthy and crowded.  Pacific Beach is also filthy and crowded.  Point Loma?  Guess what?  Filthy.  Also, crowded.  The best beach in San Diego is on Coronado.  It is clean, open, and not full of disease.  Anyone who argues against this point is probably a plague-ridden hippie who wants you to die after inhaling a discarded syringe full of human blood and feces.

yep, that is what you get for going to the touristy beaches. -- granted, most of san diego's beaches are pretty dirty now a days.

La Jolla Shores, Torry Pines and solana Beach I think are the cleanest... but the shores is wayyyyy too crowded during the day and much dirtier than 10 years ago.

... the comment about Blacks Beach, is that is it between the shores and torry... you have to either walk up or down from one of those two, or hike down the bluffs. the bluffs are dangerous though, and more than a few fatalities/serious injury have occurred from people taking that particular option.

I like the beaches in laguna (farther north than san diego) but they seem dirtier than when I was in high school alsol

Eh, a dolphin came within ten feet of me one time when I was swimming in Santa Cruz.  That was fun.  :blink:

When I use to hit imperial beach, we would swim out past the breakers, and swim with the dolphins... sometimes we needed to check and make sure they were dolphins.

I won't go to IB anymore though because it is sooooo trashed.

I haven't been to the been in a long, long time. I mean, to go to the beach and go swimming? It's probably been at least ten years. I have a friend who lives in Malibu pretty close to the beach. She says it's a great beach but she doesn't like to go to the beach. Maybe I can get a bunch of classics folks to go out there someday to learn first hand. I'd like to get a chance to visit the ocean again.

Now, I lived on Guam for three years, so I've seen my share of beaches.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I like the beaches in laguna (farther north than san diego) but they seem dirtier than when I was in high school alsol

Eh, that seems to happen anywhere people go, especially places they frequent for long periods of time over the years. I mean, we even left our garbage on the Moon for Chrissakes, all that was up there before us was dust and the occassional space rock. We are a messy polluting bunch us humans. :rolleyes: