Parents place in Childrens' sports

Cantousent

Recently, I went on a trip to visit friends in Nor Cal. While I was there, I attended the eldest child's soccer game. It was the usual fare, with the parents sitting on one side of the field and the children on the team sitting on the other. Makes sense, the kids really don't need the parents to breath down their necks the whole game. While the kids played a few of us were yelling and cheering. This is part of any normal sporting event. If you have a problem with it, you've undoubtedly got a problem. I didn't hear anyone yell a negative comment. Nothing like, "you need to run faster" or "that's not how you do it!"

For my part, I cheered for good plays on both sides. This is part of being a good sport. However, having driven some 400 miles, I was cheering louder for my friend's team. That's part of sports also. I was also yelling what I thought were encouraging remarks. No, I wasn't screaming at the top of my lungs. Neither were any of the three or four other parents who were cheering at the game. Mostly I called out things like, "That right! Keep the pressure on 'em! You're doing it!"

One of the parents behind me turned to his friend and said, "Too many coaches for the teams, huh?"

What a jackass. In the old days, when parents would ruin kids' sports by being over competetive, folks decided to ratched down the hostility a little. Now, however, we're going the other direction. When it's considered over the top to yell, "Great running guys! Keep going!" then I have to wonder if sports are on the wrong path.

We should never forget that sports are a competition. The point of any sporting event is to win. Sure, there are "sports" that aren't really competitions. In fact, I think it's a great idea to put off keeping score at the young kids events. Let them get used to the sport in a safe environment where they can learn some of the important aspects sports, like fairplay and good sportsmanship. Nevertheless, it eventually ends up in the same place: a contest between teams. One will win and one will lose. It's part of our human nature and we shouldn't mistake enthusiasm combined with genuine good-will for agressive hostility.

The following article is what made me think of this today and I thought I'd share.

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/departments/...htmare&GT1=8404

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

You have an excellent point here. Im from Washington State, there are a few places up here that consist of only rich familys. I have only visited North Carolina twice, but both times I was over there I noticed a lot of the people there are rich, and maybe a bit stuck up.

All that I can tell you is that when I played little league baseball I really appreciated it when people cheered me on, and I really hated it when coaches where pricks, or parents of some of my teammates where yelling "COME ON! YOU CANT DO BETTER THAN THAT?!?".

So next time your at a sports game and someone says that, turn around and tell them what you think. :)

Maybe he just thought the team had too many coaches. Did you ever think of that? Hmm? Maybe if you weren't too busy trying to start some sort of crusade against everyone all the time, and thought a little more about what's going on, you wouldn't have this problem. The problem of looking like a big jerk.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Maybe he just thought the team had too many coaches.  Did you ever think of that? Hmm?  Maybe if you weren't too busy trying to start some sort of crusade against everyone all the time, and thought a little more about what's going on, you wouldn't have this problem.  The problem of looking like a big jerk.

Im really confused by your post, do you think you could clear this up a bit? :ermm:

I as talking to Eldar. You posted faster than me.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Did your friend give you some context about what had happened in that community in the past? Maybe they had a particular problem with over-eager parents, more than most places I mean, which would make it a very sensitive subject. It's possible that the parents behind you were just a bit over-zealous, of course.

I thought the point of any game wasn't to win, but to take part and do your best. :ermm:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Damn you Eldar, I was going to post somehting sensible once, but you closed the bloody thread from under me. You cretinous cretin.

As for the topic in discussion here: I had the honor of seeing the championship finals for young Finnish athletics, my li'l cousin was attending and won two gold and one bronze. He later took part in Finnkampen or, for those not in the know, the Swedu-Finn Championship. That damn brat, bless him.

Anyway, back the at the finals most folks were fairly loud and applauded with vengeance but there was the ubiquitous insane sport mother, yelling far louder than any on the benches. And there was quite a few people there, enough to cover any regular loudmouth or just blend them into the general cacophony. But this [old crone] screamed like she was being cooked. I mean, talk about taking applause and support too far. I was seriously considering of yelling back at her, even though most folks took the whole mad mother-thing with humour. I guess she deserved that, it's not like the whole shtick was somehow maligned, just support.

But get a grip, sheez.

Edited by metadigital
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Damn you Eldar, I was going to post somehting sensible once, but you closed the bloody thread from under me.  You cretinous cretin.

As for the topic in discussion here: I had the honor of seeing the championship finals for young Finnish athletics, my li'l cousin was attending and won two gold and one bronze.  He later took part in Finnkampen or, for those not in the know, the Swedu-Finn Championship. That damn brat, bless him.

Anyway, back the at the finals most folks were fairly loud and applauded with vengeance but there was the ubiquitous insane sport mother, yelling far louder than any on the benches. And there was quite a few people there, enough to cover any regular loudmouth or just blend them into the general cacophony. But this [old crone] screamed like she was being cooked. I mean, talk about taking applaudes and support too far. I was seriously considering of yelling back at her, even though most folks took the whole mad mother-thing with humour. I guess she deserved that, it's not like the whole shtick was somehow maligned, just support.

But get a grip, sheez.

I see what your saying, and in some cases I agree. When parents get to that point, they should just play the game instead of their child :ermm:

(nice post count btw ;) )

Nascar dads?

Yeah, I get the idea, but could you, like, elaborate or link me to humour internet drivel?

Edit: Anphrax, yeah I get around. :ermm: I wish it was still around 800 and not these gigantic 9600+ actual posts. Actually, I might ask for post count-deletion* one of these days. Those posts are really a burden, no matter how I whine about post count meaning nothing. ;)

*Is that viable, mods? Eldar? Fio?

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Soccer moms and Nascar dads, the scourge of everyone with hopes of seeing smart children ever again.

Dude, just don't overthink stuff.

Yeah, I know about about driving fast in an oval track.

I didn't mean that.

kirottu said:

I thought the point of any game wasn't to win, but to take part and do your best. :ermm:

The primary goal of any game is to have fun. However, the pathway for fun to most folks is being competive and making a good showing. There is no better showing than winning. After fun and winning, you get to the whole take part and do you best philosophy. However, the idea that the point behind a game is to "take part and do your best," has led to outrageous notions like we shouldn't cheer at sporting events.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I don't think TrueNeutral knows either. I've never heard that here in America; the country of NASCAR.

:ermm:

Love it.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

What does that have to do with what we were talking about though?

I'm just trying not to overthink stuff.

No, I think good sportsmanship and fair play are a part of any good sporting event. What I don't like is the idea that you're somehow the equivalent of a European Football fan if you do nothing more than cheer and yell encouragement to the team. Hell, I was applauding and taking note of great plays by both teams. The goalie, in particular, did a great job for the other team. Hell, most of the game was played around the opposing team's goal.

Obsidian Plays

You are still confused.

kirottu said: