X1600XT vs 6600GT

Spider

Since I'm a bit lazy I figured I should try and ask people here before I go deep diving into graphical review pages. It's quite simple really.

The issue: A few weeks ago my graphics card went and died on me. I have no idea why, but fortunately it was covered by the warranty (or it was actually 5 days after the warranty had elapsed but the store I bought it from let me return it anyways). Today I've finally gotten an e-mail to let me know it's been processed and I will be given a replacement card.

The thing is, I'm not getting the same card. I used to have a Nvidia 6600GT with 256GB memory and now I am getting an ATI1600XT with the same amount of memory.

So my question is simply if I am getting an equal, worse or better card. Or rather, is it worth making a fuss about it?

(If it's roughly the same I won't, because I'm happy enough to get a new card in the first place, although I am not a huge fan of ATI).

If any one wants specific details, I used to have this card:

http://www.gainward.net/products/product.php?products_id=36

and am getting this:

http://www.connect3d.com/products/pcie_x1600xt.htm

Now, the most important lesson to learn here is to never buy a Gainnward card ever again. Not only did it break down within a year, but the one I originally got was flawed on delivery. Let's just say they haven't exactly impressed me with thier quality products (and yes, I know you get what you pay for and all that).

Since I'm a bit lazy I figured I should try and ask people here before I go deep diving into graphical review pages. It's quite simple really.

The issue: A few weeks ago my graphics card went and died on me. I have no idea why, but fortunately it was covered by the warranty (or it was actually 5 days after the warranty had elapsed but the store I bought it from let me return it anyways). Today I've finally gotten an e-mail to let me know it's been processed and I will be given a replacement card.

The thing is, I'm not getting the same card. I used to have a Nvidia 6600GT with 256GB memory and now I am getting an ATI1600XT with the same amount of memory.

So my question is simply if I am getting an equal, worse or better card. Or rather, is it worth making a fuss about it?

(If it's roughly the same I won't, because I'm happy enough to get a new card in the first place, although I am not a huge fan of ATI).

If any one wants specific details, I used to have this card:

http://www.gainward.net/products/product.php?products_id=36

and am getting this:

http://www.connect3d.com/products/pcie_x1600xt.htm

Now, the most important lesson to learn here is to never buy a Gainnward card ever again. Not only did it break down within a year, but the one I originally got was flawed on delivery. Let's just say they haven't exactly impressed me with thier quality products (and yes, I know you get what you pay for and all that).

The ATI X1600 XT is slightly better card, unless you count for video quality which is the second major weakness of ATI hardware... First being Driver Issues.

Two Links ->

Tech Comparison

About the Cards in General

You probably came up even, But to be fair I'd never buy ATI myself.

Hope this helps.

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

The ATI X1600 XT is slightly better card, unless you count for video quality which is the second major weakness of ATI hardware... First being Driver Issues.

ATI has no problems with video quality that I know of. In fact, most people (including myself) think that ATI generally outputs a better quality picture than Nvidia cards.

ATI has, for the last two years or so, had less problems with drivers than Nvidia. The last couple of drivers have been disastruous for Nvidia. I am using a Geforce 7800 myself and I've never had so many bugs as I had these last few months with this card and its drivers (rescaling video, popup bubbles of advertisement, flickering textures in Battlefield 2, corrupted graphics in Tomb Raider: Legend, and so on).

I will switch back to ATI once their new generation is released.

Edit: A good article on the current state of the GPU war:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/24/closer_l...rformance_lead/

ATI leads Nvidia across the board in price/performance.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I've always been loyal to ATI, but this time a fanless 7600GT caught my eye (I wanted to build a cool/silent system). This card idles along at around 50C, and still makes Oblivion happy, which in turn makes me happy. I can't say I'm a total convert, but I am willing to concede that a good card is a good card, no matter what the brand.

The newer X-series ATI's are reported to run quite a bit hotter than the comparable nVidia chips, but they do perform very well. The only real difference I've seen between the two makers is a different set of bugs/features/limitations--some translation is required. In ATI's defense, if a driver set stinks, they're always quick to replace it with a better. As I'm sure Nvidia will too. (But until then, I'm not updating my 84.21's. :ph34r: )